Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
This thread is to discuss the facts and practical implications of the China ruling on airspace and Cathay crew flying through the airspace.

For non-CX impact on travel to HK, please go to this thread in HK/Macau https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong...ns-travel.html

If you would like to discuss the political motivations or opinions on this, please go to this thread in OMNI/PR https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...-protests.html
Print Wikipost

CX Banned (kind of) by China

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
It isn't right that the Chinese government give CX such a hard time. Only we the Flyertalk flyers should be able to give CX a hard time.

If the Chinese government suggested to improve current catering services on flights from Hong Kong, and ban related services or supplies coming from the mainland (for health and safety reasons, and to prevent in-flight riots), that would be better.

On a more serious note, hopefully CX can navigate past this adversity and be successful. I support the airline and the CX staff on that front.
flubber, :D! and Sozee like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:40 am

2 things from my point of view:
  1. China continually proves to the world they (often) have the temperament of an immature child; constantly out for revenge, seeking to "one-up" someone, name calling, bullying. If you didn't know what the protests were about, now you know. Disgraceful.
  2. CX / Swire will likely bow to pressure somewhat because Swire Properties already bowed to pressure, and had to "co-sign" some condemnation of the protests after China openly criticized HK's real estate companies for not being vocal enough in their opposition to the protests. But I'm hoping CX takes this opportunity to tell the world it won't put up with this bullying.
flubber, RoyalSwazi, :D! and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christep
Some things are more important than profit.
and yet it will not stop aa ua dl etc from happily taking business from from cx - i highly doubt they will suspend flights in solidarity..

it is a very very unfortunate escalation...
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
It's a godsdamned shame that the rest of OW wouldn't cut Mainland China off in response. On the "bright" side there are no OW airlines based in Red China (CX, in Hong Kong, is the closest), though I'd love to have seen one of China's "big three" lose its codeshare partners overnight (and I do mean overnight).

Practically speaking, the "best" answer for CX would be to bifurcate their duty rosters. Flights heading to Japan and the West Coast of the US won't be severely affected by the routing rules, for example.

In an ideal world, the US would issue CX a waiver and allow them to run a limited number of East Coast-West Coast-Hong Kong (or East Coast-Hawaii-Hong Kong) flights with cabotage permitted, perhaps under the nominal aegis of American. If they were willing to tweak pricing, they could make up for a lot of lost long-haul revenue with their hard product, and doing so might give American a little bit of room to shuffle some planes around. That would fix the problem for North America. For the rest of the world, I'm thinking that they could probably stage a pretty good raid into Europe-India (particularly after the collapse of Jet Airways) if they were willing to channel a bunch of flights through one or two airports there and India were willing to "play ball". The other thing I would wish for (but we won't see) would be them teaming up with SQ in some way since they both have amazing products. I realize there are practical reasons for this, sadly.
:D! and SFO_LOW_CLOUDS like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Chromie25
Taking a step back, I wonder what's CX's HR policy regarding a pilot which has been arrested and charged with a crime?
As HK operates under ‘innocent until proven guilty’ I would presume that unless the court has decided to detain the suspect pending trial, stopping crew from flying would not be done.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
You know that the Hong Kong CAD is subservient to the CAAC in all aspects. They will not go against the CAAC. CX is fried unless they sort out this mess.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by peasant

As HK operates under ‘innocent until proven guilty’ I would presume that unless the court has decided to detain the suspect pending trial, stopping crew from flying would not be done.
This has already happened and the pilot was allowed to keep flying. It is what set off this to begin with.

Anyway the protests has morphed into anti-China protests so this isn’t surprising.
dav662 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
there was a video about KA crew bullying an old man to get off metro due to political difference.

can they bully people off the plane due to political difference?
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
AA/UA should give their crew one more rest day in Hong Kong on the condition that they either attend a peaceful protest, or stage their own "fair treatment of airline crew" sit-in.

I must say that this also looks uncharacteristic for China. China loves policy uniformity...how can one apply a regulation to a single airline and not others.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
Originally Posted by Unionruler
AA/UA should give their crew one more rest day in Hong Kong on the condition that they either attend a peaceful protest, or stage their own "fair treatment of airline crew" sit-in.

I must say that this also looks uncharacteristic for China. China loves policy uniformity...how can one apply a regulation to a single airline and not others.
TBH i don't get the rhetoric of dragging any US airline into the game, enlighten me? Isn't it a little illusional? Why would AA/UA even care? They probably secretly can't wait for CX to go down so they could get more business out of HKG and the greater Asian market...
wrp96 and dav662 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:36 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
In an ideal world, the US would issue CX a waiver and allow them to run a limited number of East Coast-West Coast-Hong Kong (or East Coast-Hawaii-Hong Kong) flights with cabotage permitted, perhaps under the nominal aegis of American. If they were willing to tweak pricing, they could make up for a lot of lost long-haul revenue with their hard product, and doing so might give American a little bit of room to shuffle some planes around. That would fix the problem for North America. For the rest of the world, I'm thinking that they could probably stage a pretty good raid into Europe-India (particularly after the collapse of Jet Airways) if they were willing to channel a bunch of flights through one or two airports there and India were willing to "play ball". The other thing I would wish for (but we won't see) would be them teaming up with SQ in some way since they both have amazing products. I realize there are practical reasons for this, sadly.
In a fantasy world perhaps, why would U.S (especially airline unions) and India want to be sacrifice their own national airlines just to help CX? Even if CX were allowed to operate those flights, the cost would be much more expensive due to not having crew bases abroad meaning each round trip would be 7 day trips for the crew with a day paid rest after 3 out of 4 legs.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by newflyer530
TBH i don't get the rhetoric of dragging any US airline into the game, enlighten me? Isn't it a little illusional? Why would AA/UA even care? They probably secretly can't wait for CX to go down so they could get more business out of HKG and the greater Asian market...
Not sure what business out of Hong Kong you're talking about...Western governments already communicated to Beijing that if Hong Kong's sovereignty cannot be guaranteed, then preferential economic treatment will be rescinded accordingly. Also, Hong Kong is a mere 3% of China's GDP. US airlines had better be making money out of China as opposed to Hong Kong, with or without the protests.

Hong Kong as a O&D point without CX/KA connections really isn't much to cling on to, especially since the financial flows will only keep weakening if Beijing doesn't change its stance one way or the other (either relent or be extremely strong handed), so might as well use it for diplomacy.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
Originally Posted by Unionruler
Not sure what business out of Hong Kong you're talking about...Western governments already communicated to Beijing that if Hong Kong's sovereignty cannot be guaranteed, then preferential economic treatment will be rescinded accordingly. Also, Hong Kong is a mere 3% of China's GDP. US airlines had better be making money out of China as opposed to Hong Kong, with or without the protests.

Hong Kong as a O&D point without CX/KA connections really isn't much to cling on to, especially since the financial flows will only keep weakening if Beijing doesn't change its stance one way or the other (either relent or be extremely strong handed), so might as well use it for diplomacy.
Which is exactly why the likes of AA/UA do not have much interests in participating in the mess, as you suggested in your previous post...
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:02 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Moderator note:

Please keep this discussion on the topic of how this “ruling” affects CX/KA and their operations. If you want to talk about the political implications or motivations please go to OMNI for that.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
OneWorldLoyalist likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by newflyer530
Which is exactly why the likes of AA/UA do not have much interests in participating in the mess, as you suggested in your previous post...
So you are okay with precedent being set that an aviation regulator can subject a single airline to personnel screening regulations of a political nature overnight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.