Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
This thread is to discuss the facts and practical implications of the China ruling on airspace and Cathay crew flying through the airspace.

For non-CX impact on travel to HK, please go to this thread in HK/Macau https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong...ns-travel.html

If you would like to discuss the political motivations or opinions on this, please go to this thread in OMNI/PR https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...-protests.html
Print Wikipost

CX Banned (kind of) by China

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by moondog
I've been working with both Citic and the HNA Group for 25 years. HNA is not state owned.
well not state owned by senior CCP controlled.

no way a company gets that much support / bailouts without high ranking connections...
Isochronous likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:21 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by krispykrme

Come on. This issue was caused by political motivation.

So is Flyertalk going to start self censoring for Chinese government?

This is the area of Flyertalk to discuss political views:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-366

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by sxc

No.

But this forum is not to discuss political views. But to help members travel better on Cathay. We can discuss the impact of the China ruling on our travel here.
I understand the different purposes of Omni and this forum. But when you have an unprecedented political event that is heavily, heavily involving both Cathay Pacific and Hong Kong, you are going to find that a purely non-political discussion will prove very hard to achieve, and what is left of the discussion after all political posts are deleted will be vastly incomplete.

But that is just my view. I guess FT would prefer to keep this thread into a "will this affect my flight / route / planned travel" type update area instead.
flubber and Isochronous like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S

not true. Both pilot (one arrested and one made the announcement) are suspended.

When are people going to realize that Chinese government is a bully.

ICAO should have a backbone and ban all Chinese pilot from operating in international air space.
You do not know then how ICAO operates. They cannot ban anyone from International Airspace. ICAO has a council just like the Security Council too. If they are to ban bullies half the western world and the Russians and Chinese and some middle east countries would be banned. Actually International airspace is exactly that.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Another cx cabin crew has been arrested in TST.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:48 am

not true. Both pilot (one arrested and one made the announcement) are suspended.

When are people going to realize that Chinese government is a bully.

ICAO should have a backbone and ban all Chinese pilot from operating in international air space.
That is CX’s decision. China has the right to say who is welcome and who isn’t in their country. CX could have staffed them on flights to SEA, Oceania among others. If China really wanted to they could have just said no flying through Chinese airspace if you don’t can all those protesters. Don’t kid yourself in thinking that China is the special snowflake here.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by aceofangel

That is CX’s decision. China has the right to say who is welcome and who isn’t in their country. CX could have staffed them on flights to SEA, Oceania among others. If China really wanted to they could have just said no flying through Chinese airspace if you don’t can all those protesters. Don’t kid yourself in thinking that China is the special snowflake here.
No, the message was pretty explicit and clear. Of course they wouldn't write out their threats in black and white. But you can be damn sure there will be repercussions in some way or another if CX doesn't comply to what they mean.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
Originally Posted by CX HK
I understand the different purposes of Omni and this forum. But when you have an unprecedented political event that is heavily, heavily involving both Cathay Pacific and Hong Kong, you are going to find that a purely non-political discussion will prove very hard to achieve, and what is left of the discussion after all political posts are deleted will be vastly incomplete.

But that is just my view. I guess FT would prefer to keep this thread into a "will this affect my flight / route / planned travel" type update area instead.
Right there, this attitude that we are protesting we are the victim so the whole world has to stop whatever it's doing and listen to us, support us. I mean, I totally understand and support HK people's demand but am just wary of people hijacking every discussion into a political one.

As the mod has clearly pointed out, there's a better place to vent and discuss if you'd wish to, so please stop hijacking this thread before it's closed so that people could still calmly and unbiasedly discuss the repercussions on their travel plans and CX ops in light of this warning.
Chromie25 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by newflyer530
Right there, this attitude that we are protesting we are the victim so the whole world has to stop whatever it's doing and listen to us, support us. I mean, I totally understand and support HK people's demand but am just wary of people hijacking every discussion into a political one.

As the mod has clearly pointed out, there's a better place to vent and discuss if you'd wish to, so please stop hijacking this thread before it's closed so that people could still calmly and unbiasedly discuss the repercussions on their travel plans and CX ops in light of this warning.
I understand. I stated it was just my view and ultimately I understand FT would like to keep it strictly travel related, e.g. "will this affect my flight".

And the enormity of this event, and how long it has lasted, has taken a heavy toll on all residents. I apologize if we have overly pushed our agenda and can only ask for understanding from the rest of the world.
flubber likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by CX HK
No, the message was pretty explicit and clear. Of course they wouldn't write out their threats in black and white. But you can be damn sure there will be repercussions in some way or another if CX doesn't comply to what they mean.
That’s your subjective opinion. You can read between the lines for everything. I will let others make their own based on the facts.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Looks like CAAC did not have anything against KA or UO. They are probably going to screen who’s arrested.

Meanwhile, people think CX has kowtowed, but we don’t know if CX is going to reroute those Eu/NA overflights yet.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Looks like CAAC did not have anything against KA or UO. They are probably going to screen who’s arrested.

Meanwhile, people think CX has kowtowed, but we don’t know if CX is going to reroute those Eu/NA overflights yet.
That's a looong detour with huge knock on effects.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
My only question about this ruling is why CX/KA being singled out...what about other carriers with HK based crew? Does it mean that no one from HX or UO participated in the demonstrations?
I believe the notice is for CX only, and KA was not included. Perhaps CAAC is using this as their leverage, i. e., if CX cooperates, the new measure will not extend to KA (or UO).
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

According to some source, CX is cooperating:
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbd456
Another cx cabin crew has been arrested in TST.
suspected to be CX crew, no media or official confirmation yet. BTW, FYI:
https://streamable.com/6bsjb

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...822076021&_rdr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.