Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
This thread is to discuss the facts and practical implications of the China ruling on airspace and Cathay crew flying through the airspace.

For non-CX impact on travel to HK, please go to this thread in HK/Macau https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong...ns-travel.html

If you would like to discuss the political motivations or opinions on this, please go to this thread in OMNI/PR https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...-protests.html
Print Wikipost

CX Banned (kind of) by China

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by sxc

No.

But this forum is not to discuss political views. But to help members travel better on Cathay. We can discuss the impact of the China ruling on our travel here.
I totally agree with the moderator. I think sxc has done a fantastic job in keeping this thread non political. In this day and age, the level of self-righteousness on political issue is off the chart. There are people on both sides (eg. left and right in the US, HK and mainland, Japan and Korea, India and Pakistan) feel the urge to hijack every news, every blog, every thread to express their political views without realizing first of all there is actually legitimate view on the other side, and second the silence majority wants to stay on topic.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by CX HK
I understand. I stated it was just my view and ultimately I understand FT would like to keep it strictly travel related, e.g. "will this affect my flight".

And the enormity of this event, and how long it has lasted, has taken a heavy toll on all residents. I apologize if we have overly pushed our agenda and can only ask for understanding from the rest of the world.
​​​​​​
There is an existing thread on HK Protests at Omni/PR. I suggest putting a link on wiki on top of this thread and forum.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-pr/1616398-hong-kong-protests.html

Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:01 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
​​​​​​
There is an existing thread on HK Protests at Omni/PR. I suggest putting a link on wiki on top of this thread and forum.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...-protests.html
Agreed. Posts that don't belong here can go there. Wiki created, and I've added the HK/Macau discussion link as well.

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 10, 2019 at 10:07 pm
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by shek3112
According to some source, CX is cooperating:
it says CX Group. So KA has to comply. Not sure UO is included just yet.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by chris19992
That's a looong detour with huge knock on effects.
For my long trip last year, my first leg was HKG-CDG and my CX279 was delayed due to congestion on the northern corridor to PRC (which was fortunate, cos we overslept and arrived at counter T-38 min, and we're still accepted due to delay).

After an hour's wait out CX279 was sent on a western route near Hainan and routed north thru Sichuan into Siberia.

Of course if even that corridor was closed then we'd be stuck with an SAA Apartheid era-like bulge-of-Africa routing (something still applies like this to UK flights to/from Gibraltar?). Or Qatar's corridor on the Persian Gulf.

Speaking of universal rights, I really think first freedom of civilian aircraft with no intelligence purposes (planes can be inspected by ICAO or something) should be a universal right for environmental purposes, but obviously not current international law.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Looks like CAAC did not have anything against KA or UO. They are probably going to screen who’s arrested.
It seems that CX Group is affected based on other information in this thread but regardless of what CAAC has/has not said publicly, some mainland companies have issued "safety" advice immediately banning staff from flying on CX/KA for work travel.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CXYYZ
It seems that CX Group is affected based on other information in this thread but regardless of what CAAC has/has not said publicly, some mainland companies have issued "safety" advice immediately banning staff from flying on CX/KA for work travel.
Care to provide some examples of these companies with credible sources?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I have seen this first hand on corporate email. I will not get into company names. Feel free to disregard my post if you do not find it credible.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:10 am

Huarong. Someone I know.
CXYYZ likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ernestnywang;31402057[b
]I believe the notice is for CX only, and KA was not included.[/b] Perhaps CAAC is using this as their leverage, i. e., if CX cooperates, the new measure will not extend to KA (or UO).
I don't believe that's true.
I guess that CX got direct instructions from CAAC.
CX response above clearly states that the whole "Cathay Pacific Group" will comply. Cathay Pacific Group includes Cathauy Dragon, HK Express and Air Hong Kong (cargo).
https://news.cathaypacific.com/fact-sheet
Old Aug 11, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by brunos
I don't believe that's true.
I guess that CX got direct instructions from CAAC.
CX response above clearly states that the whole "Cathay Pacific Group" will comply. Cathay Pacific Group includes Cathauy Dragon, HK Express and Air Hong Kong (cargo).
https://news.cathaypacific.com/fact-sheet
I was referring to the original notice from CAAC, which OP has shared and can be found here: ??????????????????????.

I know you said you cannot read Chinese, but @christep also provided a translation earlier in the thread. As CX, KA, LD (Air Hong Kong), and UO all operate under separate AOCs, and the CAAC notice did not mention "group" or "system" (系, a word commonly used to represent CA and its subsidiaries, MU and its subsidiaries, etc.), my impression from reading the notice has always been that it applies to CX only. Of course, I also saw that the earlier CX announcement shared by @shek3112 said "Cathay Pacific Group" and in that case, subsidiaries should be included. Perhaps CX went "beyond" to please CAAC, or perhaps in the private meeting between CX and CAAC Central and Southern Regional Administration, it was clarified that the measure applies to subsidiaries, too.

In any case, I'm happy to see that the vast majority of CX and KA flights are operating normally today, which means that the matter is likely resolved, for now.
brunos likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Not sure if you consider ?????????? ???????? | ??? | ??? a credible source, but here you go. This is the same company (Huarong) mentioned by @percysmith.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Anecdotally most Cathay crew seem to not enjoy operating flights to China so in a way the directive creates a perverse incentive for crew to protest...
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:24 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Isochronous
Anecdotally most Cathay crew seem to not enjoy operating flights to China so in a way the directive creates a perverse incentive for crew to protest...
I don’t know but I expect that it’s in the employee contracts that they must have the right to operate to all locations CX flies to. So if they lose that, maybe they will get sacked.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
It is not in the contract.

There is a statement on conduct.

No statement on any pilot contracts about being able to operate to all bases. In fact, I know of instances where certain nationalities haven't operated to ports due to safety. Japanese to China in recent memory from a few years ago.

This is all going to bite Swire in the bottom sooner rather than later. I am actually wondering if I should bother with posting my next set of flights for Diamond as CX may not exist in the coming year. Its not so hard to imagine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.