Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Continuation of this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1581009-how-exactly-does-cx-waitlist-work-awards.html
Print Wikipost

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:35 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kspeed88
Hi there,
We have waitlisted 3 HKG-SYD one way flights (hedging our bets) through Cathay Pacific using AsiaMiles for December 2019. We were expecting the waitlist to clear much nearer the time, giving us enough time to earn the necessary points. However we have just received notification that one of our waitlist flights has become available, and “to ensure your booking, please issue ticket before 22:00 Fri 29 Nov 2019”. Does this really mean we have almost a year to gather all the necessary points?! If so, that's ridiculously generous of them! Everything I had read online said you generally have 10days-ish to pay up but that doesn’t seem to be what notification is suggesting. Anyone have any experience or insight with this?
Many thanks in advance
Any email?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club - Silver
Hi all,
Have a waitlist Economy ticket using Standard Award from CGK - HKG (CX776) scheduled for Feb 10 2019. Wanted to ask how redemption awards work here.
I see this when checking flight availability: J - 8, C - 5, D - 3, I - 2, W - 3, Y - 9, B - 9.
The HKG - CGK leg for Feb 8 2019 is already "Confirmed*"
What are the chances of getting this ticket confirmed being lowly MP Silver?
Shall I give Asia Miles a call and see if they can work something out?

Am I better off buying a RT ticket as I'm nearing the fly date?
What would you say is a good cut-off date/deadline before giving in and buying a full price ticket?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: CX MPC
[QUOTE=percysmith;30625824]At least 800/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you speak from personal experience of having that many waitlists?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by pol212
Shall I give Asia Miles a call and see if they can work something out?
Unless you are a DM (and even then they seems to be doing that a lot less nowadays), calling AM or MPC the agents can only read off what availabilities the system shows. i.e. They can't open up award seats for you.
percysmith likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by akayyva
Is there any general schedule of when Cathay releases seats?
(Sorry I can't help myself) General schedule is generally no longer available after 22/6. They're too happy to fly air.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
Waiting list pending to clear:
19/4: CX872, 1 First and 1 Business
29/4: CX883, 1 Business
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:55 am

Actually we're not very good at predicting when awards will clear, we're only good for saying when they definitely won't.
etkuo likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by percysmith
(Sorry I can't help myself) General schedule is generally no longer available after 22/6. They're too happy to fly air.
I would say that they are more willing to op-up me than taking my miles.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Any ideas on 7th Feb for the following HKG/SIN flights? When should I start to get nervous? Little less than a month to go, all HKG-SIN flights that day are waitlist only (same goes for the SQ flights). Thinking it has to do with Chinese New Year, but is it possible nothing opens up t hat day?

No status here, waitlisting for 1 business class:

CX739
CX735
CX635
CX657

Many thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
Any ideas on 7th Feb for the following HKG/SIN flights? When should I start to get nervous? Little less than a month to go, all HKG-SIN flights that day are waitlist only (same goes for the SQ flights). Thinking it has to do with Chinese New Year, but is it possible nothing opens up t hat day?

No status here, waitlisting for 1 business class:

CX739
CX735
CX635
CX657

Many thanks!
Chinese New Year is peak travelling time, so you may be out of luck. SQ tends to open up availability 14 days prior to travel, but that is no guarantee that you’ll be given the green light, particularly if you hold no status. CX apparently will now throw you off the waitlist 14 days prior to departure if you haven’t cleared by then - someone please correct me if I’m wrong on this one?! I’d say your chances on both carriers are very slim. If I were you I would make alternative travel plans for that day.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany

Chinese New Year is peak travelling time, so you may be out of luck. SQ tends to open up availability 14 days prior to travel, but that is no guarantee that you’ll be given the green light, particularly if you hold no status. CX apparently will now throw you off the waitlist 14 days prior to departure if you haven’t cleared by then - someone please correct me if I’m wrong on this one?! I’d say your chances on both carriers are very slim. If I were you I would make alternative travel plans for that day.
CX's waitlist expires 4-5 days before departure, but you are correct about the rest. The chance is very slim.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
CX's waitlist expires 4-5 days before departure, but you are correct about the rest. The chance is very slim.
Thanks for the correction - I must have mixed it up with SQ’s Krisflyer’s recent “enhancement” to its waitlist policy. It was clearly too early in the morning for me to be posting valuable advice...
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Thanks so much! Already have an alternate award flight on VN I can cancel but would prefer the nonstop...
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:52 am

I would say that they are more willing to op-up me than taking my miles.
That means CX rather sell one more cheapo Guangzilv Northern Transit Group ticket than take miles as fare.

Looking at early Mar, need 85k+203k for CSX-HKG-JFK r/t Business redemption (Standard J+Standard F) (very limited dates, next fare 85k+127.5k) . Business fare $19.7k, Economy $4.5k. If CX is opuping, CX rather have $4.5k than 208k AM (or more).

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 13, 2019 at 2:20 am
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: BAEC, AsiaMiles
Originally Posted by percysmith
Any email?
thanks for your earlier reply, but no, nothing. Checked spam folder too. Online account still says ticket issuance is available until November date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.