Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Continuation of this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1581009-how-exactly-does-cx-waitlist-work-awards.html
Print Wikipost

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: Marco Polo Gold, Asiana Gold, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Load factors change so quickly, I see a lot of changes in fare class availabilities these days on flights that I track, you never know and may have a nice surprise even the day before. But more importantly, if you really need to fly on that day, you should draw a line in the sand at some point and choose a specific decision date on which whether you buy a ticket or decide to wait if waitlist clears.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: Asia Miles, Qantas, Velocity, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by e950058
Load factors change so quickly, I see a lot of changes in fare class availabilities these days on flights that I track, you never know and may have a nice surprise even the day before. But more importantly, if you really need to fly on that day, you should draw a line in the sand at some point and choose a specific decision date on which whether you buy a ticket or decide to wait if waitlist clears.
Good advice, last week I waited until the day before my flight and ended up buying a ticket 14hrs before departure. I was very lucky not to miss out altogether as the flight was nearly full, and I won't leave it so late next time.
As it turned out the waitlist never cleared.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by e950058
Yes, u right and surely will give a deadline, waiting for long can really mess up the holiday.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:06 pm

Hi, first time poster.

I've waitlisted a flight, CX105 HKG-MEL on the 10th march in J, anyone got some insight into the likelyhood of me getting the seat?

Thanks
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:27 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
"Then there’s Cathay Pacific, for example. Historically they’ve released a ton of last minute first class award space, but nowadays they no longer make those seats available to members of partner frequent flyer programs, but rather only make the seats available to members of their own Asia Miles program."

"The much bigger issue involves mileage brokers/ticket consolidators taking advantage of these trends.

For example, I’ve heard stories of some mileage consolidators and ticket brokers who would book refundable tickets in advance to basically “sell out” the first class cabin on a flight, and then they’d cancel shortly before departure. Then those seats would open up as awards, and they could book their clients in them with miles. Obviously this is wrong on many levels.

I’m not sure the current status of this, but apparently back in the day there was one United route in particular where the airline completely changed up their algorithm for releasing award space, due to mileage brokers booking refundable seats, and then canceling last minute to book their clients awards."

https://onemileatatime.com/last-minute-airline-awards/
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: Asiamiles
Originally Posted by percysmith
"Then there’s Cathay Pacific, for example. Historically they’ve released a ton of last minute first class award space, but nowadays they no longer make those seats available to members of partner frequent flyer programs, but rather only make the seats available to members of their own Asia Miles program."

"The much bigger issue involves mileage brokers/ticket consolidators taking advantage of these trends.

For example, I’ve heard stories of some mileage consolidators and ticket brokers who would book refundable tickets in advance to basically “sell out” the first class cabin on a flight, and then they’d cancel shortly before departure. Then those seats would open up as awards, and they could book their clients in them with miles. Obviously this is wrong on many levels.

I’m not sure the current status of this, but apparently back in the day there was one United route in particular where the airline completely changed up their algorithm for releasing award space, due to mileage brokers booking refundable seats, and then canceling last minute to book their clients awards."

https://onemileatatime.com/last-minute-airline-awards/
Those seats must go to Tailor award, of course it is still costing lesser than F class
This year's TYO Christmas award all goes to Tailor. i was lucky enough to score one standard for waitlisting
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:02 pm

Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: Asiamiles
We know the drill about price discrimination..
Old Dec 27, 2019, 8:53 pm

Has there been a change of policy regarding the expiration date of waitlisted AWARD bookings?

Back in June of this year, I made two award bookings for travel during CNY Jan.2020, and both had to be on waitlist. The deadline to issue tickets, if the waitlists were confirmed, was 26.Dec.2019. In October, one of these waitlists cleared, but MPC never called me to issue the ticket right away, and I waited until 23.Dec to issue the ticket. The other booking was still waitlisted, and I could get the deadline extended to 21.Jan.2020.

Today, 28.Dec, I just made another award booking for travel in Sep.2020, and had to be on waitlist. However, in the confirmation email, it states "your waitlist booking will expire if the flights are not confirmed by Hong Kong time 22:00, 11 Jan 2020".

Are we now allowed to waitlist only for two weeks? Will I have to call MPC every two weeks to extend the deadline, and if not extendable, do I have to make a new booking every two weeks? This seems quite bothersome!

Edit: The above really did not make any sense to me, so I called MPC. The agent said that there might be an issue in their system, and then manually adjusted my ticket issue deadline to end of Aug.2020.

Last edited by Fly Me To The Moon; Dec 27, 2019 at 9:00 pm
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:16 pm

You usually only get two weeks only if one leg cleared (other leg waitlist) in a Standard return booking
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:34 pm

You usually only get two weeks only if one leg cleared (other leg waitlist) in a Standard return booking
Both legs were, and still are, waitlisted.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: Cathay, Singpapore Airlines, AA
I've got a Business Class redemption seat on CX888 HK to Vancouver on Feb 21st. Also waitlisted for First Class on the same flight (have been waitlisted for several months). Can anyone see how many First seats are still up for grabs on this flight? Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: BA EC
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Has there been a change of policy regarding the expiration date of waitlisted AWARD bookings?

Back in June of this year, I made two award bookings for travel during CNY Jan.2020, and both had to be on waitlist. The deadline to issue tickets, if the waitlists were confirmed, was 26.Dec.2019. In October, one of these waitlists cleared, but MPC never called me to issue the ticket right away, and I waited until 23.Dec to issue the ticket. The other booking was still waitlisted, and I could get the deadline extended to 21.Jan.2020.

Today, 28.Dec, I just made another award booking for travel in Sep.2020, and had to be on waitlist. However, in the confirmation email, it states "your waitlist booking will expire if the flights are not confirmed by Hong Kong time 22:00, 11 Jan 2020".

Are we now allowed to waitlist only for two weeks? Will I have to call MPC every two weeks to extend the deadline, and if not extendable, do I have to make a new booking every two weeks? This seems quite bothersome!

Edit: The above really did not make any sense to me, so I called MPC. The agent said that there might be an issue in their system, and then manually adjusted my ticket issue deadline to end of Aug.2020.
I once waitlisted a flight which only allow me to waitlist for one day .......
And last week I waitlisted a flight to Japan which was cleared in 5 min after I w/l...
Old Dec 29, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
waiting HKG-FRA (1F 2J, 27/4/2020) + LHR-HKG (1F 2J, CX254, 3/5/2020), chances advice please?
Old Dec 29, 2019, 7:53 pm

any chance this wait list will clear by next week? HKG - IAD on January 10th - Business Class - Flight # CX866

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.