Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Continuation of this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1581009-how-exactly-does-cx-waitlist-work-awards.html
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi gang,
Am currently waitlisted for a roundtrip HKG-LHR in U (redemption)... departing Apr 5/CX255, and returning Apr 19/CX252.
Any idea roughly when CX might clear the waitlist, and what my chances are for those flights? (I'm GO).

I called the MP Club hotline w/an inquiry, but they were unable to give me a timeline on when I might have a clear go/no go response
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:25 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Plenty (max 9 selleable availbaility) but no idea when CX will stop trying to flog the seats for cash.

Used to be 6 hours before departure. But now "Flying Air" (flying empty) is acceptable behaviour https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30575148-post737.html

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 2, 2019 at 11:33 pm
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
HKG - MEL waitlist in U for Feb 18 2019

Hi All,
I'm waitlisted for 4 one way HKG-MEL in U (redemption)... departing Feb 18 CX135
Any idea roughly when CX might clear the waitlist, and what my chances are for this flight?
Cheers
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:19 am

When does CX usually confirm waitlists? I waitlisted a flight for July 2019 and was hoping to use some of my expiring ThankYou points. However, I see that the seats are available for booking immediately off of Avios. If it's close to the final date, I'd rather get the confirmed booking vs. playing the lotto.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by phant0m
If it's close to the final date, I'd rather get the confirmed booking vs. playing the lotto.
That is the best answer I've seen on this thread.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:25 am
kkl

I have a few waitlist flights about 35 days out yet to clear at C9 J9, hopefully they will clear a month out.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: Asia Miles
Hi ,

Can anyone please help check the following flight, i am current on waiting list!!! PLEASE!!!

HKG - SYD Business Class
21 Jan 2019 CX 101
22 Jan 2019 CX 161
22 Jan 2019 CX 101

Much Appreciated!!!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
That is the best answer I've seen on this thread.
Yeah I just decided to book with Avios. I have other trips I have planned in 2020 that I can use the expiring TYP on.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:23 am

Chance of Waitlist Clearing

Hello,

Curious if I could get some forecast on a waitlist clearing.
Flight is LAX > HKG / Business (Booking Class U, if it makes a diff)
Flying on Mar. 4th / CX885

I am a Silver member and got the "Choice" award.

Also, is there any trend on how they release these awards once waitlisted? Once a week? Based on the amount of tickets being bought?

Thanks for your help!

Gustavo
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:21 pm

Back in November, I waitlisted some PE flights back from Europe for Summer 2019. One waitlist shockingly cleared within 24 hours, while another one just cleared yesterday. I didn't bother looking for business awards though.

A bit off off topic, how many waitlisted PNRs can one have under manage my booking? Also, if a waitlisted flight clears, is it still possible to add another segment to it when you ticket?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by fallinasleep
A bit off off topic, how many waitlisted PNRs can one have under manage my booking?
At least 800

Originally Posted by fallinasleep
Also, if a waitlisted flight clears, is it still possible to add another segment to it when you ticket?
Can if you're ticketing by phone (I'm not sure if the other method ("Issue Award Ticket" button)) still works.
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC, AsiaMiles
Hi there,
We have waitlisted 3 HKG-SYD one way flights (hedging our bets) through Cathay Pacific using AsiaMiles for December 2019. We were expecting the waitlist to clear much nearer the time, giving us enough time to earn the necessary points. However we have just received notification that one of our waitlist flights has become available, and “to ensure your booking, please issue ticket before 22:00 Fri 29 Nov 2019”. Does this really mean we have almost a year to gather all the necessary points?! If so, that's ridiculously generous of them! Everything I had read online said you generally have 10days-ish to pay up but that doesn’t seem to be what notification is suggesting. Anyone have any experience or insight with this?
Many thanks in advance
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by kspeed88
Hi there,
We have waitlisted 3 HKG-SYD one way flights (hedging our bets) through Cathay Pacific using AsiaMiles for December 2019. We were expecting the waitlist to clear much nearer the time, giving us enough time to earn the necessary points. However we have just received notification that one of our waitlist flights has become available, and “to ensure your booking, please issue ticket before 22:00 Fri 29 Nov 2019”. Does this really mean we have almost a year to gather all the necessary points?! If so, that's ridiculously generous of them! Everything I had read online said you generally have 10days-ish to pay up but that doesn’t seem to be what notification is suggesting. Anyone have any experience or insight with this?
Many thanks in advance
Check your email at about 5pm tomorrow. You should get an email from CX at 4pm or so notifying you of new deadline.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I have a confirmed award ticket HKG-TPE (economy) and I want to change it to a flight one day earlier.
I'm using Avios and there is no availability two weeks out now.
It looks a plenty of economy seats are available to sell, and I hope CX will release a seat...
Does CX release award seats at a certain time of the day or it happens at random?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:53 pm

I'm waitlisted on J in CX888 2/18/19 for just the YVR to JFK leg. expertflyer shows tons of J seats available. Is there any general schedule of when Cathay releases seats? Wondering if it'll happen at 1 month out or if I'm going to have to go down to the wire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.