FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Credit card Asia Miles earning opportunities (HK) 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1948453-credit-card-asia-miles-earning-opportunities-hk-2019-a.html)

Kilian Zoll Jan 28, 2019 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by tf552 (Post 30709697)
Only for Citibank Rewards - 1 mile per $3

Yes -- to clarify, the Citi Rewards card earns 1 mile / $3 on supermarket, department store and telecom bill spend. The eligible merchants across those categories are listed on the website (link in my previous post).

dannyhk Jan 28, 2019 9:35 pm

Another One Bites the Dust

Just got a notification from Standard Chartered that no more bonus points for OePay and AliPay top-ups after March.

Presumably that means there'll no longer be any point paying HKE and Towngas bills through AliPay (linked to SC Asiamiles card)?

kaka Jan 28, 2019 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by dannyhk (Post 30712776)
Just got a notification from Standard Chartered that no more bonus points for OePay and AliPay top-ups after March.

Presumably that means there'll no longer be any point paying HKE and Towngas bills through AliPay (linked to SC Asiamiles card)?

nice

kaka Jan 28, 2019 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by barracuda93 (Post 30696162)
In fact one does not need HKID at all to do banking in Hong Kong. Passport and address proof are the only required documents. You can have transactional accounts, debit cards, credit cards and investment accounts (stock trading etc) without HKID. The very few things that you cannot have without HKID are Octopus-related products (Citi Octopus cobrand) and Citi UnionPay credit card.

thanks to this brit legacy and SOME nationalities exploiting this loophole doing dodgy things transborder, the US keep fining HSBC for this- hence the annoyance.

otherwise i dont see the user friendly part of citibank. can anyone explain? (ok, hsbc fx rates are crap, but there are good work arounds for that these days)

zeltergiset Jan 28, 2019 10:20 pm

I assume this means AliPay transfers - think we knew days were numbered for points on that. But does it also mean AliPay transactions? I think HKE and Towngas bills are transactions, i.e. the same sort of thing you can do in a supermarket. Is it clear that transactions are also excluded?

ermen Jan 28, 2019 10:21 pm

cry cry cry

percysmith Jan 28, 2019 10:35 pm

Alipay HKE bill payment codes as P2P (MCC 6540 Non-Financial Institutions - Stored Value Card Purchase/Load)

So I wonder - did Alipay HKE consistently earn $4/AM on SCB?

dannyhk Jan 28, 2019 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by zeltergiset (Post 30712863)
But does it also mean AliPay transactions? I think HKE and Towngas bills are transactions, i.e. the same sort of thing you can do in a supermarket. Is it clear that transactions are also excluded?

That's a good point. Although it specifically mentions AliPay, I can't recall the exact wording (and don't have it with me right now).

dannyhk Jan 28, 2019 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 30712899)
So I wonder - did Alipay HKE consistently earn $4/AM on SCB?

Another good point. Definitely did the last time I checked. But that was quite a while back. So not certain this was still true more recently.

BryanL Jan 28, 2019 11:59 pm

For alipay, I thought SCB top ups aka $5000 transfer didn't count for Asia Miles anyways. That's what scb told me. I've been using DBS for alipay $5000 top ups and then switching back to SCB for normal alipay transactions.

percysmith Jan 29, 2019 12:36 am

Originally Posted by dannyhk (Post 30712902)
That's a good point. Although it specifically mentions AliPay, I can't recall the exact wording (and don't have it with me right now).

Alipay bill payment codes as if P2P, not the underlying transaction as if you used Alipay at Parknshop or CDC

Originally Posted by dannyhk (Post 30712906)
Another good point. Definitely did the last time I checked. But that was quite a while back. So not certain this was still true more recently.

Been unstable since early 2018

CX HK Jan 29, 2019 2:03 am

Worrying but expected. Will PayMe and Octopus top up come to an end this year as well?

percysmith Jan 29, 2019 2:25 am

Originally Posted by CX HK (Post 30713322)
Worrying but expected. Will PayMe and Octopus top up come to an end this year as well?

Given Slide Cheap's penchant for switching benefits to new cards and "trying" for customers who don't change their spending habits, yes!

Payme may or may not be caught by the anti-P2P rule. Guess we'll have to put in at least $8 to try.

tf552 Jan 29, 2019 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll (Post 30709483)
Citi actually publishes the full list on their website: https://www.citibank.com.hk/english/...yMerchantsCCRC

Department Stores:
AEON
APITA
Chinese Arts & Crafts
Chinese Goods Centre
Chung To Chinese Product
Citistore
FACES
Harvey Nichols
JUSCO
Lane Crawford
LCX
Living PLAZA by AEON
Marks & Spencer
Metropole International
PIAGO
Sincere
SOGO
SU-PA-DE-PA
UNY
Wing On
YATA
Yue Hwa

Just out of interest is Marks & Spencer Food considered a supermarket or department store?

Kilian Zoll Jan 29, 2019 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by tf552 (Post 30716546)
Just out of interest is Marks & Spencer Food considered a supermarket or department store?

M&S is not listed at all under 'supermarkets', so assume they would count as department store?

https://www.citibank.com.hk/english/...yMerchantsCCRC