Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX WILL interline to other oneworld airlines if travelling on separate PNRs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
As of 1 January 2017, CX will interline on separate tickets to their airline partners once again.

to 31 Dec 2016 CX Agents' advisory http://www.cxagents.com/cxa/gc/en_HK/ln2
from 1 Jan 2017 http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...e-tickets.html

Ausbt article: http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacif...-baggage-rules
http://www.ausbt.com.au/did-oneworld...of-a-nightmare
http://www.ausbt.com.au/oneworld-air...ecting-flights

AA: will not check through separate PNRs (own or partner) https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...%20Tickets.pdf
MH: still check through two PNRs (own or partner)
CX/KA: check through CX/KA separate PNRs. Will resume checking through to partners starting 1 Jan 2017 http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...e-tickets.html
JL: Will through check. http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/161003.html
QR: will check through separate PNRs (own or partner) from 01 MAR. https://www.ausbt.com.au/qatar-airways-ditches-oneworld-s-restrictive-baggage-rules
QF: Will check through QF to QF separate PNRs, will not check through partner separate PNRs (from 1 Sep 2016)
BA: Will not check through partner or other airlines' separate PNRs. WIll not check through BA-BA on seperate PNR's (as of 15 Nov 16)
IB: Will check through IB to IB separate PNRs
LA: will not check through separate PNRs (own or partner)
AY: Will check through AY to AY separate PNRs, will not check through partner separate PNRs
Print Wikipost

CX WILL interline to other oneworld airlines if travelling on separate PNRs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:25 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by planesailing38
It's a OW policy that came into effect on the 01JUN, it's on all separate tickets including OW airlines.
Please provide a source.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I would side with NickB on this one.
Until we get a source on this "official" change in OW policy, I would be reluctant to accept some anecdotal evidence; especially since it seems to be running in circle across forums.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: QFF
BA twitter team says they know of no changes.
No reply yet from CX, QF or AA.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Its true ! As per CX staff..

I started my journey at LCY on 3 tickets. LCY-AMS on BA, AMS-HKG on CX, and HKG-PEN on KA.

Originally I was going to go through immigration and customs at AMS should the check in staff wouldn't check my bags through but unfortunately the BA flight was delayed so my original 2.5 hour connection became less than 70 minutes. The agent said that it was not possible on her system so she led me to the ticket agent who said that it was difficult to do so with the new system. But he managed to adjust my LCY-AMS to show the AMS-HKG sector on it, but couldn't add another segment to PEN. It can be done only this time, he told me. Fine, I told him that CX in AMS can take care of the connection to PEN. So my bags were tagged now from LCY-AMS-HKG.

At AMS, I advised the transfer counter who notified the gate agents. There the agents said it wasn't a problem and that they will notify their counterparts in HKG to pull my bags out and retag them to PEN.

Guess what? I'm now in PEN - with no bags. They're still in HKG. Dealing with the imbecile KA contract ground staff in PEN is another matter. They kept insisting I wait for all the bags come out first even though I showed them my LugLoc app that indicated that my bags have been traced but they're in HKG.

I saw the email that KA in HKG sent to them. That they are to MAAS (Meet and Assist) me upon arrival (there was no one at the gate to meet me), and that I am to be told that my bags are 'not confirmed on board' which literally means that they are not on board. But that was not what the KA ground staff understood it... I can't help it if they can't understand airline code (like we do)..

Anyway that's the gist of it. CX says that they will interline between CX/KA flights if they're on separate tickets. But with the new ALTEA system, they will only check through to what's on your ticket. So no more connecting onto to any other airline (even Oneworld) on separate tickets. BA in LCY told me that LHR might still be able to do check in on separate tickets as they're still on the old system. But once they upgrade.. sayonara through check in on separate tickets.

Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:24 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Anyway that's the gist of it. CX says that they will interline between CX/KA flights if they're on separate tickets. But with the new ALTEA system, they will only check through to what's on your ticket. So no more connecting onto to any other airline (even Oneworld) on separate tickets. BA in LCY told me that LHR might still be able to do check in on separate tickets as they're still on the old system. But once they upgrade.. sayonara through check in on separate tickets.

I think this is more of a BA issue. ALTEA (the unaltered version) specifically has functions for "find connection" and "modify itinerary" which facilitate check-in across different tickets.

BA uses a customized version of ALTEA called "FLY". I suspect that when BA got their version customized that they implemented business rules to have those features disabled.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daniellam
I think this is more of a BA issue. ALTEA (the unaltered version) specifically has functions for "find connection" and "modify itinerary" which facilitate check-in across different tickets.

BA uses a customized version of ALTEA called "FLY". I suspect that when BA got their version customized that they implemented business rules to have those features disabled.
It's also quite possible their agents were not trained in how to do it; I doubt it was a high priority.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by daniellam

As I recall, CX moved over to Altea in 2012 - I've definitely had them check through bags to non-CX carriers, on separate tickets, since then - the last instance being in late 2015.

Given my complicated cross ticket journeys, an alliance wide change would be a bummer. But surely an alliance-wide change would have been reflected on at least some of the airlines' sites that actually publish the info..And Rami's checked with an insider friend working @ S7 (posted on the oneworld forum).

As of now, my money's on BA check-in agents struggling with FLY, and being even less keen than normally to put in the effort to check through..
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So who invented this date of "01 June"??
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:50 am

The first time I 'heard'..

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...aggage-qr.html
Post#10
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:22 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Himeno
Please provide a source.
Originally Posted by brunos
I would side with NickB on this one.
Until we get a source on this "official" change in OW policy, I would be reluctant to accept some anecdotal evidence; especially since it seems to be running in circle across forums.
When has OW ever announced anything like this? Especially bad news?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
When has OW ever announced anything like this? Especially bad news?
Fair point percy..but there'd be an incentive to for the likes of BA to update the info published on their website..?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be honest, given the increasing number of airlines charging for luggage, I can quite see how there might have been a decision to stop through-checking on separate tickets so as to prevent avoidance of baggage fees on the second carrier. I can also see that the complexity of baggage fee rules might make it difficult to allow through-checking across different carriers even where there are, in fact, no baggage fee issues.
However, for now, we remain at the level of speculation.
Secondly, even if OW moves away from through-checking across separate carriers on different tickets, this should not prevent an airline from through checking on separate tickets on its services. So though-checking on CX-CX (or CX-KA//KA-CX) should still be OK even if the rumours end up confirmed.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Not OW but CX

Wife is travelling J Mnl to Hkg Sunday evening then 4 hours later Hkg to Lhr - but on separate PNR's.

Any recent experiences on chance of checking baggage through and connecting PNR's.

This used to be a given - but reading horror stories recently.

Thanks for any input.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:57 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I believe that CX to CX is no problem.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 3:03 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I started my journey at LCY on 3 tickets. LCY-AMS on BA, AMS-HKG on CX, and HKG-PEN on KA.

Guess what? I'm now in PEN - with no bags. They're still in HKG. Dealing with the imbecile KA contract ground staff in PEN is another matter. They kept insisting I wait for all the bags come out first even though I showed them my LugLoc app that indicated that my bags have been traced but they're in HKG.

I saw the email that KA in HKG sent to them. That they are to MAAS (Meet and Assist) me upon arrival (there was no one at the gate to meet me), and that I am to be told that my bags are 'not confirmed on board' which literally means that they are not on board. But that was not what the KA ground staff understood it... I can't help it if they can't understand airline code (like we do)..

I think your baggages left in HKG is the responsibility of CX AMS crew!!
BA tagged your baggages to HKG and they did end up in HKG.
Therefore, the problem must be on CX AMS.
In my personal experience, CX AMS crew are not reliable.
Anyway, when you arrived in HKG, you should contact KA ground crew or people in the lounge. Ask them to double check your baggages followed up to PEN.
If you had done this, your baggages should show up in PEN

Last edited by wyskevin; Jun 9, 2016 at 3:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.