Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Newbie question -
For a Oneworld multi carrier award ticket originating from HKG, if one segment is LHR-HKG, are the taxes plus surcharges different between CX and BA?
Thank you.
Based on my limited experience, there should be no difference. UB and APD are irrelevant of operating carrier.
For BA and AY YQ, I observed the below patterns.
HKG-(CX)-B-(BA/AY)-HKG : No BA/AY YQ
HKG-(CX)-B-(BA/AY)-C(BA/AY)-HKG : BA/AY YQ charged for the B-C segment.
PS. No YQ for IB and LA for both of the above.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by calf613
When I asked CS about this previously, they told me: (i) no no-show fee, (ii) change fee of US$40 or 4k AM can be used after the flight date to re-issue the ticket (within validity period of the entire itinerary, which I think is typically 1 year from start of your itinerary). My last flight was a KA flight though, not sure if it differs if it's another OW carrier
Thanks for the info! I was trying to fulfill the condition of having 2 carrier other than CX and the last flight could do that without adding much miles to the total
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Is it possible to piece together an award partially, as a standard one way award, then add on the rest of it at a later date converting it to a one world award? For example, I see some of my availability now and would like to book my outbound. I'm willing to pay the one-way to get me there as-is. But if the return opens up can I keep the outbound that I had booked, add on the return, and have it price as a one-world award? Or will they need me to cancel, pay to redeposit miles, and book it as a single trip?

Right now I want to book LAX-HKG-SIN // SIN-DOH which will price out as two one ways. If I'm able to find the return at a later date DOH-XXX-XXX-LAX can I add that on to the existing trips? If I needed to cancel the outbound and rebook it as a single itinerary, will the seats I cancel open up?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by roknroll
Is it possible to piece together an award partially, as a standard one way award, then add on the rest of it at a later date converting it to a one world award? For example, I see some of my availability now and would like to book my outbound. I'm willing to pay the one-way to get me there as-is. But if the return opens up can I keep the outbound that I had booked, add on the return, and have it price as a one-world award? Or will they need me to cancel, pay to redeposit miles, and book it as a single trip?
You can convert a single ticket to a OW multi carrier ticket by adding the segments and paying the ticket re-issue fee each time you add a segment. Basically as long as your tickets are under one booking ref. you can add segments by paying the ticket re-issue fee. They will cancel the original ticket & redeposit the miles & taxes and then charge you afresh but it all happens very fast and your seats will stay confirmed and NOT be released.

Right now I want to book LAX-HKG-SIN // SIN-DOH which will price out as two one ways. If I'm able to find the return at a later date DOH-XXX-XXX-LAX can I add that on to the existing trips? If I needed to cancel the outbound and rebook it as a single itinerary, will the seats I cancel open up?
If you book two one way tickets there is no way to merge them under one booking ref and hence one OW multi-carrier ticket. To convert the two one-way tickets into a single OW multi-carrier ticket, Asia Miles will need to release the seats and add a new segment to the other existing booking. Once released they may not come back into the award inventory pool.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Thanks, that is sort of what I assumed on the first part. The second part about having two one ways one two PNRs makes sense and I hadn't thought it would work that way. From past experience I've found releasing booked seats tends to not release them back into inventory. If I do decide to try to reprice as a one world, I will probably make sure that seats are currently available before releasing my booked seats.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
If I do decide to try to reprice as a one world, I will probably make sure that seats are currently available before releasing my booked seats.
Yes, you def. should! I had two one-ways which I wanted to convert into one OW multi-carrier award ticket. So I had to cancel one of them (2 pax in J with QR), which didn't result in those seats going back to the pool. Luckily I had checked beforehand and seats were available for the next day, so was able to re-book and combine it with the other one-way ticket by paying 12k miles/person as a re-ticketing fee. Now both are under one PNR and I can add segments to the itinerary by paying a re-issue fee each time but without ever releasing the seats.
percysmith likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:14 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
Now both are under one PNR and I can add segments to the itinerary by paying a re-issue fee each time but without ever releasing the seats.
Not true. I only added segments https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...practices.html and ended up having to take another day's QR.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Not true. I only added segments https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...practices.html and ended up having to take another day's QR.
Fair point. After getting the booking under one PNR (as mentioned in my earlier post) I added two LATAM segments a couple of weeks later. Luckily I did read this forum and therefore explicitly asked the CSO to re-issue the ticket ASAP as I had read that QR has a very short ticketing deadline. I don't know if my saying this helped but she re-issued the ticket within 1.5 hours with my QR segments intact - phew!

Last edited by lifeonthego_k; Jun 14, 2018 at 2:35 am
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Since 6/22is coming, I would like to burn all my AM for Oneworld award. Part of my schedule is over 330 days.
I have some questions about ticketing.
1. If I book now, when I change the flight date, date only not route, will AM ask me to adopt the new award table?
2. The change date fee is USD$25. Is it per change or per segment change?
3. I am thinking about the following route. Any input?
Mnl-hkg-kix-nrt-MNL-hkg-lax-ord-nrt-mnl

Thanks
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:13 pm

1. No
2. Yes
Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by yuchung5
2. The change date fee is USD$25. Is it per change or per segment change?
Charge is per flight sector per passenger. Btw, if you book a OW multi-carrier award ticket, changes cannot be made online. You have to call in and the fee increases to USD40.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Aegan Gold, British Airways Bronze
I'm a bit confused. I've heard from the CS that 'You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once'. In this case, I want to do a layover in the origin city in the middle of my trip (so I depart from HKG go to europe, come back to HKG and then go to japan). Would that be accepted?

I've heard reports of people successfully pushing back against that (and the Wiki says the same) but how did you push back? Just hang up and call again?

Thanks
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:34 am

Yes. Multiple thought leaders have been pushing people to backtrack HKG more than once and achieve savings than if they redeemed multiple r/t for same routings.

AM will stop this for post-22/6 R/T but I do not believe AM has extended these changes to oneworld awards even post-22/6 https://www.asiamiles.com/change/en/updatedterms.html
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: Asiamiles, HHonor,
Experience sharing ...
Flew in May17 the following OW itinerary ( Business Class 140,000 Asia Miles) :

HKG - Fukuoka - HKG - London - Oslo // Bergen - London (transit) - HKG - NRT - HKG
Dragon Air Dragon Air CX BA BA CX JL JL
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: Asiamiles, HHonor,
I obtained the following award ticket earlier this year :

HKG - SFO - HKG - YYZ // Montreal - YYZ(transit) - HKG (as one round trip ticket at 175,000 Asiamiles)

All flights in CX Business Class except the route Montreal to YYZ in Air Canada Economy

I wonder if CX will still be honoring this sort of "round trip" after the 22 June changes ...

Last edited by michael2K; Jun 23, 2018 at 8:48 pm Reason: forgot to include "CX"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.