Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by HKUSFLYER
Hi I am new to this. Just want to ask a question:

If a flight has code sharing (AA for CX to US for example), would it be counted as AA flight and so it is part of one world and non-CX?
Award flights are always* booked on the prime (operating carrier's) code. If the flight is operated by CX, only the CX code is bookable. If the flight is operated by AA, only the AA code is bookable. Whether those flights are marketed by other carriers is irrelevant.

*Outside of Asia Miles, there are some rare, occasional exceptions I have heard of on joint-venture flights.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Award flights are always* booked on the prime (operating carrier's) code. If the flight is operated by CX, only the CX code is bookable. If the flight is operated by AA, only the AA code is bookable. Whether those flights are marketed by other carriers is irrelevant.

*Outside of Asia Miles, there are some rare, occasional exceptions I have heard of on joint-venture flights.
OK, the reason I asked is that I booked AA flights and the flights are actually operated by Alaska Airlines (two sets of codes). As Alaska is not oneworld and the operator carrier is not AA, but it sill counts towards AA with full miles and clubpoints.

So the 3 carrier requirement is actually 3 operator requirement (plus CX of course), and it doesn't matter whether CX has a code with say, JAL on returning flights from NRT to HKG right for the same flight?
Old May 21, 2018, 4:58 am

OK, the reason I asked is that I booked AA flights and the flights are actually operated by Alaska Airlines (two sets of codes). As Alaska is not oneworld and the operator carrier is not AA, but it sill counts towards AA with full miles and clubpoints.

AA*/AS is a very special exception in the MPO/AM programme. See "Important Notes" under
https://www.asiamiles.com/en/earn-miles/airlines/detail.html/american-airlines. This does not apply to award flights. In terms of mileage accrual, you can only earn on flights:
1. Marketed by a OW carrier and operated by any OW carrier - MPO points and AM.
2. Marketed by CX or KA and operated by anyone, as long as it is actually a flight - Technically only AM, but MPO points have always been given.
3. Marketed by AA and operated by AS/QX - Technically only AM, but MPO points have always been given. (QX is not mentioned in the AM website, but we have not heard of report that AA*/QX is not given.)
4. Marketed by an AM partner and operated by the said partner.

Note: Eligible fare classes (buckets) are always determined by the marketing carrier.

So the 3 carrier requirement is actually 3 operator requirement (plus CX of course), and it doesn't matter whether CX has a code with say, JAL on returning flights from NRT to HKG right for the same flight?
Award fare class (bucket) is simply not loaded on code-share flights. It is impossible to book a code-share flight on award ticket. Only prime flights will (possibly) have award seats. A oneworld multi-carrier award requires 2 OW airlines other than CX / KA. If you have 3 OW airlines, one of them can be (but does not have to be) CX / KA.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffè Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
I have an award ticket booked with one leg being xxx-HND-HKG.

If I were to add a stopover in Tokyo, and make the leg xxx-HND (stopover) HND-HKG, I understand that would be a change of confirmed flight date, so I would be incurring a change fee of $25/40.

But if I were to change it to xxx-HND (stopover) NRT-HKG, would that be considered a change of only the flight date (as in with both HND/NRT being classified under "TYO" as I've read somewhere about different airports in the same city), or would that be considered as a change of routing, i.e. incurring a change fee of $100?

Thanks!
Old May 21, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by 07L 25R

If I were to add a stopover in Tokyo, and make the leg xxx-HND (stopover) HND-HKG, I understand that would be a change of confirmed flight date, so I would be incurring a change fee of $25/40.

But if I were to change it to xxx-HND (stopover) NRT-HKG, would that be considered a change of only the flight date (as in with both HND/NRT being classified under "TYO" as I've read somewhere about different airports in the same city), or would that be considered as a change of routing, i.e. incurring a change fee of $100?

Thanks!
For revenue ticket, CX does not consider co-terminal airport change as a re-routing, but I'm not sure about award tickets. Others might know. However, if you are changing a transit to a stopover (if that's what you meant by "add"), this is definitely a re-routing. In any case, by changing a transit to a stopover, you would also have to pay extra airport tax.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
For revenue ticket, CX does not consider co-terminal airport change as a re-routing, but I'm not sure about award tickets. Others might know. However, if you are changing a transit to a stopover (if that's what you meant by "add"), this is definitely a re-routing. In any case, by changing a transit to a stopover, you would also have to pay extra airport tax.
USD100 or 10000miles plud additonal taxes.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by 07L 25R

Thanks!
If it's currently not a stopover (marked x/HND) and you want to change it to a stopover (o/HND), then it's not just a date change, in my experience it would be considered a change in routing, and they will charge the USD100.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, QF Plat, Starwood Plat100, Hilton Diamond
Hi All -

I would appreciate your wisdom on the following - I have an itinerary on hold that is as follows:

SYD-KULo-DOHo-ATH//HEL-BKKx-SINx-SYD

The pricing on taxes has come out at almost ~14,000 HKD for two persons (~7,000 HKD each). This seems very expensive - the only thing I can put it down to is ex-SYD I am triggering signifiant YF charges - for your benefit, carriers are as follows:

SYD-KUL (MH), KUL-DOH (QR), DOH-ATH (QR), HEL-BKK (AY), BKK-SIN (CX), SIN-SYD (QF)

It is correctly pricing at 140,000 miles but it's the surcharges that makes the current carrier / routing seem unreasonable. Would love your views on:

(a) Why are the taxes and fees so high? Could this be a mistake?
(b) Any wisdom on how to reduce this (ie. start Ex-Asia, Ex-NZ, for example, or don't stopover at this port or this port).

Thanks in advance, FTers!
Old May 27, 2018, 10:11 am

Hello longtime lurker here. Have been wondering this - for the purpose of two non-CX/KA carriers, can I count CX and KA as two separate carriers and add 1 to the mix so to comply with the rules? Cheers

Have learnt so much from you all. Thanks for everyone for your insights throughout the years!
Old May 27, 2018, 12:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by dlstmxk
Hello longtime lurker here. Have been wondering this - for the purpose of two non-CX/KA carriers, can I count CX and KA as two separate carriers and add 1 to the mix so to comply with the rules? Cheers

Have learnt so much from you all. Thanks for everyone for your insights throughout the years!
no. Without CX or KA - two. With CX or KA - three.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by partytime101
Hi All -

I would appreciate your wisdom on the following - I have an itinerary on hold that is as follows:

SYD-KULo-DOHo-ATH//HEL-BKKx-SINx-SYD

The pricing on taxes has come out at almost ~14,000 HKD for two persons (~7,000 HKD each). This seems very expensive - the only thing I can put it down to is ex-SYD I am triggering signifiant YF charges - for your benefit, carriers are as follows:

SYD-KUL (MH), KUL-DOH (QR), DOH-ATH (QR), HEL-BKK (AY), BKK-SIN (CX), SIN-SYD (QF)

It is correctly pricing at 140,000 miles but it's the surcharges that makes the current carrier / routing seem unreasonable. Would love your views on:

(a) Why are the taxes and fees so high? Could this be a mistake?
(b) Any wisdom on how to reduce this (ie. start Ex-Asia, Ex-NZ, for example, or don't stopover at this port or this port).

Thanks in advance, FTers!
YQ is really high for ex-outport. Ex-HKG is usually cheaper on this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:27 pm

Anyone knows the repercussion if we miss the last leg of the trip?

Sin - Hnd (Stopover) -JAL
Hnd - Sin (Stopover_- JAL
Sin - Hkg (Transit) - CX
Hkg - Icn (Stopover)- CX
Icn - hkg (Transit)- CX
Hkg - Sin (Open Jaw) CX
Kul - Sin - MH

Last edited by Autumm; Jun 1, 2018 at 11:09 pm
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:42 am

Newbie question -

For a Oneworld multi carrier award ticket originating from HKG, if one segment is LHR-HKG, are the taxes plus surcharges different between CX and BA?

Thank you.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: MPC Diamond
Originally Posted by Autumm
Anyone knows the repercussion if we miss the last leg of the trip?

Sin - Hnd (Stopover) -JAL
Hnd - Sin (Stopover_- JAL
Sin - Hkg (Transit) - CX
Hkg - Icn (Stopover)- CX
Icn - hkg (Transit)- CX
Hkg - Sin (Open Jaw) CX
Kul - Sin - MH
When I asked CS about this previously, they told me: (i) no no-show fee, (ii) change fee of US$40 or 4k AM can be used after the flight date to re-issue the ticket (within validity period of the entire itinerary, which I think is typically 1 year from start of your itinerary). My last flight was a KA flight though, not sure if it differs if it's another OW carrier
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I'm currently planning a RTW flight for next year in Business Class (Either Zone 10 or 11).

Would it be that much cheaper to start my flight from HKG rather than SIN?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.