Greetings on CX/KA

Old Apr 10, 12, 7:28 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: CX GO by flying, ex-QF PS, AMEX Platinum, CA & KrisFlyer Nobody
Posts: 525
Question Greetings on CX/KA

This might be answered before - however I am a bit confused about CX/KA's inconsistent services. It doesn't seem that I get the consistent in flight services. In most of the flights I took I got some kind of greetings from either ISM or FA, some of those would even offer some convenience to me... and in the other flights I was treated like everyone else.

Examples...

When taking CX138 in January on my way from Sydney to Hong Kong, the ISM was warmly welcoming me onboard, came to greet me in person, asking what I want to order for food saying just in case not all options might be available when the trolley comes to me (from 30A to 54A)... a FA came a few hours later quietly handed me a bottle of water from Business Class (obvious). Indeed, I was flattered.

On my way back to Sydney on CX111, ISM then a FA came to say hello, didn't offer any advance ordering but passed me a bottle of water and an express arrival card.

On my flight CX100 to Hong Kong two weeks ago, a DM sitting next to me and we both got greeted warmly. Each of us got a bottle of water and advanced ordering was offered. The ISM had a bit of talk with us (I guess because of the DM not me LoL) and came again a few hours later to ensure everything is alright.

On my flight CX101 back to Sydney yesterday, nobody came to say anything or offer me anything. I asked a FA to give me some water, he came back with half a cup. In that case I guess I was treated like everyone else. ISM came passing me looking at the name list on her hand for a few times - no stop by and no greetings and I realised she was just checking passengers with special meals.

Well, I understand personal greeting is not a published benefit (therefore I am not complaining). But having a bottle of water and an express arrival card would certainly make my life much easier on a Y flight. ('cos I can't take water from lounge to a flight to Australia and the waiting time for the custom clearance can be a pain sometimes).

I also noticed personal greetings are not consistent at all when I take CX/KA J flights. The ISM definitely didn't show up her face and introduce herself to me, or anybody in the J cabin. Occasionally I get greeted by FA on Surname term when they serve food but most of the time that greeting didn't happen. Isn't this funny? I thought you deserve better services when you pay more on a ticket?

I only took F twice, not enough experience to conclude if the service is consistent.

I wonder if there is a rule/instruction that CX crews follow and decide how to treat you in a flight (or it really just depends on the ISM's mood)? Do others experience the same inconsistency in terms of this type of things?
kamiao is offline  
Old Apr 10, 12, 7:41 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: DFW/LAX/JFK/LHR
Programs: AAdvantage (PLT), CX MarcoPolo (GO), Aeroplan, VIPorter, HHonors Silver
Posts: 1,821
I think there is an inconsitency, but generally most ISMs will come and give a greeting. As it is not a published benefit, I guess inconsitency will always be the case.

I have only flown in J as a GO member, but each time I was greeted with a "welcome back...etc..." while being handed a menu. In J the greeting can be less recognisable and exclusive, becuase the FAs generally greet everyone in J at the beginning of service, usually with the hand out of menus. Regular passengers usually get a polite "welcome aboard Mr./Miss...here is your menu etc..." whilst MPOs get a "welcome back Mr./Miss... here is your menu etc..." or on the lines of that. At least that is my experience. I have had the ISM come greet me personally twice in J on top of this.

In Y I think the head of Y cabin or ISM or both can come and say greeting. Therefore it may be that if both think the other will do it, it may not happen. Some ISMs perhaps only wish to deal with premium passengers leaving head of Y cabin to deal with Y passengers. The head of Y cabin may not always come and say hello because ISM might do it... therefore no greeting. Just a thought.

Despite the inconsitency, most of the time GO/DMs and even occasionally SLs get a greeting. This is much better than other airlines. BA for example doesn't greet anyone personally, so we are lucky that we have this personalized greeting on CX in the first place!
CX828 is offline  
Old Apr 10, 12, 8:13 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London/ Hong Kong
Programs: CX SL, BAEC Gold, IHG, Hyatt, Starwood,Ritz Carlton Reward
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by CX828 View Post
I think there is an inconsitency, but generally most ISMs will come and give a greeting. As it is not a published benefit, I guess inconsitency will always be the case.

I have only flown in J as a GO member, but each time I was greeted with a "welcome back...etc..." while being handed a menu. In J the greeting can be less recognisable and exclusive, becuase the FAs generally greet everyone in J at the beginning of service, usually with the hand out of menus. Regular passengers usually get a polite "welcome aboard Mr./Miss...here is your menu etc..." whilst MPOs get a "welcome back Mr./Miss... here is your menu etc..." or on the lines of that. At least that is my experience. I have had the ISM come greet me personally twice in J on top of this.

In Y I think the head of Y cabin or ISM or both can come and say greeting. Therefore it may be that if both think the other will do it, it may not happen. Some ISMs perhaps only wish to deal with premium passengers leaving head of Y cabin to deal with Y passengers. The head of Y cabin may not always come and say hello because ISM might do it... therefore no greeting. Just a thought.

Despite the inconsitency, most of the time GO/DMs and even occasionally SLs get a greeting. This is much better than other airlines. BA for example doesn't greet anyone personally, so we are lucky that we have this personalized greeting on CX in the first place!
I agree with this. On HKG-LHR and back , which is my most-travelled route, I've only been greeted by the ISM twice out of the dozens of return trips I've done in the last 18 months. The other times which I've been greeted personally have been done by the Flight Purser for Y. And if i'm greeted, unpublished perks (water bottles, advance meal choice and sometimes even J pillows) are given to me. And if i'm not greeted personally at all, even if I ask for a water bottle, I'd be declined one (sometimes rather rudely).

And as for J, I kinda expect the perks and greetings so I don't usually take care to note the times I've been greeted etc.

Whereas on recent regional flights with both CX and KA, I've been greeted 0/2 on CX and 1/2 on KA...
jasjasper is offline  
Old Apr 10, 12, 8:16 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: CX GO by flying, ex-QF PS, AMEX Platinum, CA & KrisFlyer Nobody
Posts: 525
Originally Posted by CX828 View Post
I think there is an inconsitency, but generally most ISMs will come and give a greeting. As it is not a published benefit, I guess inconsitency will always be the case.

I have only flown in J as a GO member, but each time I was greeted with a "welcome back...etc..." while being handed a menu. In J the greeting can be less recognisable and exclusive, becuase the FAs generally greet everyone in J at the beginning of service, usually with the hand out of menus. Regular passengers usually get a polite "welcome aboard Mr./Miss...here is your menu etc..." whilst MPOs get a "welcome back Mr./Miss... here is your menu etc..." or on the lines of that. At least that is my experience. I have had the ISM come greet me personally twice in J on top of this.

In Y I think the head of Y cabin or ISM or both can come and say greeting. Therefore it may be that if both think the other will do it, it may not happen. Some ISMs perhaps only wish to deal with premium passengers leaving head of Y cabin to deal with Y passengers. The head of Y cabin may not always come and say hello because ISM might do it... therefore no greeting. Just a thought.

Despite the inconsitency, most of the time GO/DMs and even occasionally SLs get a greeting. This is much better than other airlines. BA for example doesn't greet anyone personally, so we are lucky that we have this personalized greeting on CX in the first place!
Oh yes, sorry. In J they did call my name when distributing the menu to me. It's just different from the ISM greetings I got in Y - as you said, less recognisable and less personalised. I just have never been greeted as "Welcome back" though. It might be because most of the J flights I took are regional ones?

You guess on ISM and head of Y is interesting - thanks.
kamiao is offline  
Old Apr 10, 12, 8:25 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: CX GO by flying, ex-QF PS, AMEX Platinum, CA & KrisFlyer Nobody
Posts: 525
Originally Posted by jasjasper View Post
I agree with this. On HKG-LHR and back , which is my most-travelled route, I've only been greeted by the ISM twice out of the dozens of return trips I've done in the last 18 months. The other times which I've been greeted personally have been done by the Flight Purser for Y. And if i'm greeted, unpublished perks (water bottles, advance meal choice and sometimes even J pillows) are given to me. And if i'm not greeted personally at all, even if I ask for a water bottle, I'd be declined one (sometimes rather rudely).

And as for J, I kinda expect the perks and greetings so I don't usually take care to note the times I've been greeted etc.

Whereas on recent regional flights with both CX and KA, I've been greeted 0/2 on CX and 1/2 on KA...
Did they say "Sorry sir, we don't serve bottle water in Economy. I can give you a cup of water on my way back..."? Well that's what I got when I asked in one of those non-greeting flights...since then I stopped asking when they didn't offer me.

KA greetings are far less formal than CX's IMO. Most of the flights the greeting involves a sentence with less than 10 words - "Mr XXX, My name is XXX, please let me know if you need anything" - then quickly moved on to the next person... indeed there are too many people to greet in a KA flight. LoL
kamiao is offline  
Old Apr 10, 12, 9:00 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Posts: 7,700
Originally Posted by kamiao View Post
Did they say "Sorry sir, we don't serve bottle water in Economy. I can give you a cup of water on my way back..."? Well that's what I got when I asked in one of those non-greeting flights...since then I stopped asking when they didn't offer me.
To be honest, I think there is a very stark difference between the greetings and treatment received as GO and as DM. I was only GO for a few months 5 years ago, but I recall during those 120k that I sometimes got greeted, and other times I didn't. Once making DM, however, that changed. It was a greeting every single flight, except for the very odd occasion (say, 1/10 flights). And for the 10%, usually something is amiss those flights (on one of those, for example a few years back, a fistfight broke out on a KA flight from PEK-HKG I was travelling on...so the ISM was preoccupied...).

I also know that all cabin crew on the plane....from ISM to BC...have it in their brains that DM are very important customers. Most don't actually know the mileage requirements for us to get to GO or DM, but they just know DMs are very important people who pay a lot of money and fly a lot. CX seems to have made a point to drill it in their heads that DM is a very valuable customer. Unfortunately I don't think that same intensity of indoctrination occurs when they train them (if they do at all) about GOs. So it's really up to the ISM, and if she goes out of her way to make the greeting (which many of them do) and encourage lower staff to go the extra mile for GOs as well. Whereas with DM, I think it's more like a company policy.
QRC3288 is offline  
Old Apr 10, 12, 9:01 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London/ Hong Kong
Programs: CX SL, BAEC Gold, IHG, Hyatt, Starwood,Ritz Carlton Reward
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by kamiao View Post
Did they say "Sorry sir, we don't serve bottle water in Economy. I can give you a cup of water on my way back..."? Well that's what I got when I asked in one of those non-greeting flights...since then I stopped asking when they didn't offer me.

KA greetings are far less formal than CX's IMO. Most of the flights the greeting involves a sentence with less than 10 words - "Mr XXX, My name is XXX, please let me know if you need anything" - then quickly moved on to the next person... indeed there are too many people to greet in a KA flight. LoL
Yes, the FA would say that CX doesn't serve bottled water or something along those lines and goes away. I've asked for a water bottle once when I wasn't greeted, saying that usually I get one on other flights. Then the FA went to check the manifest and come back with a water bottle and an extra pillow and eyes-shade and was most apologetic to me, addressing me by name.

Personally, I prefer a less formal greeting, especially one which would lead into a conversation. I feel that if an ISM greets me as if it is from a script, I'd rather he/she didn't at all... If i want robotic services, I might as well choose CX's major competitor... ;-)
jasjasper is offline  
Old Apr 10, 12, 9:03 am
  #8  
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Posts: 8,171
Greetings have always been inconsistent. I have only been consistently given a bottle of water on long haul. Advanced ordering is always inconsistent.

About a year or two ago, on my HKG-SFO flight, I was greeted by a FP and given a bottle of water. Then the FP greeted the passenger at the window (the seat between us was vacant). Then she came back with a bottle of water to him. He might have been given a bottle of water because he was sitting next to a DM.
cxfan1960 is offline  
Old Apr 10, 12, 9:13 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: HKG
Programs: CX MPC Gold, ICH Plat Amb
Posts: 41
I agree there is a big inconsistency in service quality among different teams. It might depend on each individual ISM to decide.

Just like any service industry, people's attitudes and personalities can tremendously influence the service quality. I still remember the wonderful inflight experiences from some cheerful and warm ISMs who made a good leader to supervise their teams to deliver the best possible service. On the other hand, I have met some lazy, unprofessional ISMs who just do not care and would make sure they do the the least necessary to earn their salaries. This is just human nature.
livetutravel is offline  
Old Apr 10, 12, 9:19 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: CX GO by flying, ex-QF PS, AMEX Platinum, CA & KrisFlyer Nobody
Posts: 525
Originally Posted by cxfan1960 View Post
Greetings have always been inconsistent. I have only been consistently given a bottle of water on long haul. Advanced ordering is always inconsistent.

About a year or two ago, on my HKG-SFO flight, I was greeted by a FP and given a bottle of water. Then the FP greeted the passenger at the window (the seat between us was vacant). Then she came back with a bottle of water to him. He might have been given a bottle of water because he was sitting next to a DM.
Well I don't think FA will greet someone who is not GO/DM just because he/she is sitting next to a DM...

I was sitting next to a DM in many flights when I was a SL (thanks for the free extra leg seat policy) - I saw FA went to greet the person sitting next to me but that never pass to me.

Since I became a GO when I started to get greetings and a bottle of water, such benefits were never offered to the person who is not a GO/DM but sitting next to me neither.

I guess he might be a GO somehow, or maybe a CX staff who is travelling...
kamiao is offline  
Old Apr 10, 12, 9:20 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 76
this is rather interesting
i can vouch for the inconsistency.
however i thought that is expected for SL members as its the lowest perk level
i am surprised that GO get such inconsistency too

can DM folks chime in if they always get greeted?

edit : nvm i read a response above that its practically 100% for DM =)
haagen_dazs is offline  
Old Apr 10, 12, 11:10 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: BA Silver, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott SL
Posts: 3,595
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Newly aboard gold, of the 10 flights I flew recently...

KA PVG/SHA commuter: No. They have way too many elite to greet anyone. DM get greet and that's all

Kind of piss me off when I was on a 29 Pax A321 I still got nothing ... I was like LOO

KA TPE flight: no

CX TPE flight on Easter: Op up to J, short chat with ISM on what to do at NGO

On return, same set of crew, Say hi to SP when on board, ISM come and ask what can she bring me, Come back with a bottle of evian.

I don't think I really care about greetings, but the nice perks are just nice
ChrisLi is offline  
Old Apr 10, 12, 10:08 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: CX GO by flying, ex-QF PS, AMEX Platinum, CA & KrisFlyer Nobody
Posts: 525
Originally Posted by ChrisLi View Post
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Newly aboard gold, of the 10 flights I flew recently...

KA PVG/SHA commuter: No. They have way too many elite to greet anyone. DM get greet and that's all

Kind of piss me off when I was on a 29 Pax A321 I still got nothing ... I was like LOO

KA TPE flight: no

CX TPE flight on Easter: Op up to J, short chat with ISM on what to do at NGO

On return, same set of crew, Say hi to SP when on board, ISM come and ask what can she bring me, Come back with a bottle of evian.

I don't think I really care about greetings, but the nice perks are just nice
That's true Chris - I enjoy the perks more than greetings... however those perks come with the greetings... no greeting, no perks...

Hope you don't mind to explain to me what "SP" means in your post.

Also, is Evian the only water that CX sources? I don't seem to get anything other than Evian, either in F, J or Y... and that's been for years. Their HK lounges don't supply Evian though.

I have a lot of sympathies on PAs when flying between Hong Kong and Taiwan (and therefore don't really mind if they just ignore me) - within an hour or so they have to do so many things including serving welcome drinks, safety demonstratin, preparing for take off, distributing meals, cleaning up and preparing for landing... The most hilarious one was KA flights between HKG to KHH... it took 10-15 mins before the crew leave their seats to prepare for catering, then just another 15 mins you will hear "cabin crew, 30 mins for landing... " I just feel sorry to see the entire team was working under a high stress and non-stop moving, although I understand it's their jobs.
kamiao is offline  
Old Apr 11, 12, 12:34 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: BA Silver, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott SL
Posts: 3,595
Originally Posted by kamiao View Post
That's true Chris - I enjoy the perks more than greetings... however those perks come with the greetings... no greeting, no perks...
Doesn't really matter that much for me cuz I only fly short haul ... .but ya ,..
Originally Posted by kamiao View Post
Hope you don't mind to explain to me what "SP" means in your post.
Senior Purser
Originally Posted by kamiao View Post
Also, is Evian the only water that CX sources? I don't seem to get anything other than Evian, either in F, J or Y... and that's been for years. Their HK lounges don't supply Evian though.
They do Bonaqua in Y , I think some Canadian water in TPE lounge,
CX HKG lounge change from Perrier to some UK sparkling water recently

Evian at HKG: just ask the bar tender
Originally Posted by kamiao View Post
I have a lot of sympathies on PAs when flying between Hong Kong and Taiwan (and therefore don't really mind if they just ignore me) - within an hour or so they have to do so many things including serving welcome drinks, safety demonstratin, preparing for take off, distributing meals, cleaning up and preparing for landing... The most hilarious one was KA flights between HKG to KHH... it took 10-15 mins before the crew leave their seats to prepare for catering, then just another 15 mins you will hear "cabin crew, 30 mins for landing... " I just feel sorry to see the entire team was working under a high stress and non-stop moving, although I understand it's their jobs.
That's why CX cut back the food on TPE flight and only serve sandwich? I normally order food platter on that now and just eat at Lounge / Arrival
ChrisLi is offline  
Old Apr 11, 12, 12:57 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 12,756
I have been wondering - why greeting matters?
garykung is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: