FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Greetings on CX/KA
View Single Post
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:00 am
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by kamiao
Did they say "Sorry sir, we don't serve bottle water in Economy. I can give you a cup of water on my way back..."? Well that's what I got when I asked in one of those non-greeting flights...since then I stopped asking when they didn't offer me.
To be honest, I think there is a very stark difference between the greetings and treatment received as GO and as DM. I was only GO for a few months 5 years ago, but I recall during those 120k that I sometimes got greeted, and other times I didn't. Once making DM, however, that changed. It was a greeting every single flight, except for the very odd occasion (say, 1/10 flights). And for the 10%, usually something is amiss those flights (on one of those, for example a few years back, a fistfight broke out on a KA flight from PEK-HKG I was travelling on...so the ISM was preoccupied...).

I also know that all cabin crew on the plane....from ISM to BC...have it in their brains that DM are very important customers. Most don't actually know the mileage requirements for us to get to GO or DM, but they just know DMs are very important people who pay a lot of money and fly a lot. CX seems to have made a point to drill it in their heads that DM is a very valuable customer. Unfortunately I don't think that same intensity of indoctrination occurs when they train them (if they do at all) about GOs. So it's really up to the ISM, and if she goes out of her way to make the greeting (which many of them do) and encourage lower staff to go the extra mile for GOs as well. Whereas with DM, I think it's more like a company policy.