Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Greetings on CX/KA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: CX Diamond, Hyatt DM, Le Club Accor etc...
For me it was hit and miss.... but...

Do I care? I am not a superstars or VIP. They can just focus to make sure my trip is safe and comfort. Greet to me or not, I don't really care.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, OneWorld - Emerald, HH - Diamond
Originally Posted by joey_12
I asked the FA's once and they told me that its:

Always Greet: OWE, MPC Diamond and Gold
Greet When Elite Pax. are light: OWS, MPC Silver

Well, apparently they are not following their own rules when it comes to greeting. It's not that I care. I am just reporting my personal experiences.

I am OWE(AA) and I fly US-Asia and some intra-Asia routes once every QT but I noticed it's about 50% or less that I was greeted by FP/FA. I usually fly either in PE or J. No bottled water offered when I am greeted in the recent couple years.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:36 pm

Programs: CX MPC
I may be one of the rare ones, but I prefer being left alone and being doted upon when I request something.

A greeting does not serve much of a psychological purpose for me. I much prefer getting exactly what I want in an on demand manner. The proactive touches are nice, but sometimes I end up not even wanting/using it.

I try to keep in perspective that for many of the FAs, it's their job, and they do it to pay their bills and provide for their families. It's somewhat demeaning when their job forces them to be subservient to passengers in a proactive manner. I understand that's what forms the value proposition of much of the (higher end) service industry. At the end of the day, we are all human and merely trying to provide for our families and pay the bills. There's no need to buy into a social construct that can be somewhat dehumanizing.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Data Point: I've received the personal greeting 100% of the time since I became OWE (AA), two years ago.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: CX Diamond, Hyatt DM, Le Club Accor etc...
Originally Posted by heyheyha
I may be one of the rare ones, but I prefer being left alone and being doted upon when I request something.

A greeting does not serve much of a psychological purpose for me. I much prefer getting exactly what I want in an on demand manner. The proactive touches are nice, but sometimes I end up not even wanting/using it.

I try to keep in perspective that for many of the FAs, it's their job, and they do it to pay their bills and provide for their families. It's somewhat demeaning when their job forces them to be subservient to passengers in a proactive manner. I understand that's what forms the value proposition of much of the (higher end) service industry. At the end of the day, we are all human and merely trying to provide for our families and pay the bills. There's no need to buy into a social construct that can be somewhat dehumanizing.
Hey, you are not alone. Same here too. I rather have all FA focus on what they do best during my flight but not to say "Hello" when I board and gone disappear.

^^
Old Jun 4, 2016, 5:05 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
I think it's a nice touch, especially the Evian water. 100% for me (OWE-AA) even on awards in coach though these have been intra Asia flights. Even UL and MH do this as well.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by rbAA
I think it's a nice touch, especially the Evian water. 100% for me (OWE-AA) even on awards in coach though these have been intra Asia flights. Even UL and MH do this as well.
Extremely nice touch,especially ex SIN/KUL and other airports with security at the gate.

UL and MH???? Never had that on my flights with them.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Dragonair recent flights

Am MPC Diamond (for now-going elsewhere)

Recent flights on Dragonair to/from Rangoon (Yangon).

Out-Greeted by Senior crew, asked if wanted to have meal in advance.
In-No greeting by anyone.

Onboard non CX airlines, only been recognised on QR (by crew who offered first choice of meals) and AA domestic (as crew need to know OWEs as they are entitled to complementary snacks).

Never been recognised aboard AA (International), AB, BA, CP (when they existed), EI (before they left OW), IB, JL, MH, QF, & RJ. Not flown the others.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: CX
CX should well adapt QR's policy

Here is a recent experience I would like to share. It has been mentioned before in this forum that MPC Gold members do usually not get a special welcome by the inflight manager when there are members with a higher status (DM) or other Oneworld Emerald members on board - especially on full flights. Last week I was flying with Qatar Airways in economy class. There was a member of its own mileage programm (Privilege flyer) sitting next to me. His status was "Silver" which is equivalent to Ruby. Before the take-off the flight senior purser came over to him and gave him a special greeting, even asked him for his dinner preference. Although my status was above his I on the other hand did not get any greeting at all. Later during the flight I approached the senior purser in the galley and asked her about QR's greeting-policy. To my surprise my higher OWE-status did not even show up on the passenger list. Now back to the point: I think it will be only fair if Cathay adapts the same policy, greeting its own members before others. But it is evident that this is unfortunately not the case (yet).
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Originally Posted by CXZRHaddict
Here is a recent experience I would like to share. It has been mentioned before in this forum that MPC Gold members do usually not get a special welcome by the inflight manager when there are members with a higher status (DM) or other Oneworld Emerald members on board - especially on full flights. Last week I was flying with Qatar Airways in economy class. There was a member of its own mileage programm (Privilege flyer) sitting next to me. His status was "Silver" which is equivalent to Ruby. Before the take-off the flight senior purser came over to him and gave him a special greeting, even asked him for his dinner preference. Although my status was above his I on the other hand did not get any greeting at all. Later during the flight I approached the senior purser in the galley and asked her about QR's greeting-policy. To my surprise my higher OWE-status did not even show up on the passenger list. Now back to the point: I think it will be only fair if Cathay adapts the same policy, greeting its own members before others. But it is evident that this is unfortunately not the case (yet).
Agree with you 150% on that.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by hikouki
Agree with you 150% on that.
Clearly CX has very diffirent values than QR.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:29 pm

I think it depend on the route, was never greeted as OWE for flight to and from PEK/PVG-HKG. I guess there is too many DM and DM+
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:50 am

Some input of this topic. I've recently flown the flight LHR-HKG in Y cabin and I didn't get the personal greeting from the senior purser with a bottle of water from her plastic bag before take off. But later on, in the middle of the flight, the ISM came and greeted me and asked me if he could help me with anything.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, *A Silver, Accor Diamond
My observation is that as an act in itself, the ISM stopping by to say hello is pleasant but often - although not always - performed by rote. In that sense it doesn't really mean too much. But whether it happens or not - invariably in business - in my experience it's an indication of the cabin crew's attitude to their job, set by the tone at the top on the flight. When the ISM stops by, they're aware that they have some DM customers on the flight and where they are. In subtle ways, the service is better - I get asked what my choice of main course is, the cabin crew don't look as if I'm imposing on them if I go to the galley to ask for a soda - all subtle differences. I experienced a very good flight up to London last weekend and a perfectly adequate one back this week: except on the return flight I didn't get the sense anyone at the airline cared whether I flew with them or not; an earlier poster made the point that they were invisible - that's a good description, they might as well have worked for BA. In my view, which I've explained to CX any time they ask and recommend they try to hang on to the ones who do, it's just down to the ISM and whether they have a strong customer service mentality or not; the cabin crew follow that lead.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I recently heard a DM complaining about the on board ISM greeting. "Why does CX insist on greeting me all the time? It's so rude, only CX does it, SQ and TG never greets their members..."

*rolls eyes*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.