Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by percysmith
Would it be different on HSBC?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:35 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ny911
Would it be different on HSBC?
ny911: mcc is merchant-specific not card.

Different issuer may have slightly different definitions of what is dining (do they count 5812 restaurants only, or 5813 bars and 5814 fast food as well).

But my peninsula boutique mooncakes are coded as general foodstuffs, it's not going to meet any definition of dining.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 5:55 am

Hello Percy,

I wonder if HSBC has changed their policy? I applied to transfer asia miles on 2/Aug but I still haven't received the miles in my account. I thought they do the transfer on every Monday.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by host2087
Hello Percy,

I wonder if HSBC has changed their policy? I applied to transfer asia miles on 2/Aug but I still haven't received the miles in my account. I thought they do the transfer on every Monday.
I haven't transferred any RewardCash into Asia Miles this year. All my RewardCash are going into Avios for 18 Avios/RC. The Rewardcash is being debited every Thursday and credited to my Avios a week later. Has your RewardCash been deducted yet?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:28 pm

I haven't transferred any RewardCash into Asia Miles this year. All my RewardCash are going into Avios for 18 Avios/RC. The Rewardcash is being debited every Thursday and credited to my Avios a week later. Has your RewardCash been deducted yet?
I got my miles today. Thanks for the information.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:46 pm

I have an $80K hospital bill coming up in a couple of months. Planning to whack it all onto my DBS Mastercard, but wondering if there's any good welcome offers worth looking into at the moment?
I already hold Citibank Rewards, DBS Amex, HSBC Platinum, Fubon Plat cards, so can't apply these ones again.
Thanks for any pointers.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:05 pm

For a spend of that size you need two CCB CUP cards under Summer Rewards. Plus the Citi Prestige.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:16 pm

Cool, I'll have a look into them. Thanks P!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:20 am

Rebated 12 Aug. I've received 12K AM x 2 on two cards without issue.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:44 am

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on which card to use to pay off a wedding banquet? (250k or more) it can be paid in separate payments if that makes any difference..

As far as I can see there is absolutely nothing, and only option is to use the DBS black @ 6$ per mile? Will dbs even give the 6$ per mile when paying off a banquet?

Thanks a lot!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:29 am

No good spending offer right now
Even with CCB summer free above you're capped to 32k x 2 cards per person.
Have to see if Bankcomm comes up with anything at the end of the year - can you wait that long?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:59 am

No good spending offer right now
Even with CCB summer free above you're capped to 32k x 2 cards per person.
Have to see if Bankcomm comes up with anything at the end of the year - can you wait that long?
thanks for the quick response! unfortunately not, will need to be paid in the next month or so...

worse case is to use DBS black @6$ per mile then? just hope there is no weird restriction on paying banquets.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by twonga
thanks for the quick response! unfortunately not, will need to be paid in the next month or so...

worse case is to use DBS black @6$ per mile then? just hope there is no weird restriction on paying banquets.
No there isn't, but the following options are superior:

HSBC 6X if you can set it to dining $2.78/mile ($180K 2014-15 limit)
SCB Worldmiles $5/mile
DBS Plat on dining $5/mile
Bankcomms on weekends $4/mile (with limit)

If all you can use is DBS Black @ $6/mile then I rather contact the restaurant/venue manager and ask if I can have 2% taken off the price (roughly the restaurant merchant rate) for a cheque delivered into the restaurant/venue's account on Thursday (so it will clear on Friday). I rather have 2% than $6/miles

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 14, 2014 at 7:42 am
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:50 am

No there isn't, but the following options are superior:

HSBC 6X if you can set it to dining $2.78/mile ($180K 2014-15 limit)
SCB Worldmiles $5/mile
DBS Plat on dining $5/mile
Bankcomms on weekends $4/mile (with limit)

If all you can use is DBS Black @ $6/mile then I rather contact the restaurant/venue manager and ask if I can have 2% taken off the price (roughly the restaurant merchant rate) for a cheque delivered into the restaurant/venue's account on Thursday (so it will clear on Friday). I rather have 2% than $6/miles
I actually have a HSBC x6 but unfortunately i set it to Lifestyle so that cannot be changed now.. besides i don't think hotel banquets count do they?

The perfect scenario would be to somehow buy hotel gift vouchers from a travel agent (lifestyle) and use that to pay for the banquet i know i am dreaming though..

I will take note on the 2%, i may well try that when the time comes. Thanks a lot for your help!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:56 pm

Slightly relevant article in the SCMP today:

Keep track of your phone contracts or risk paying more: Consumer Council

The relevant bit being:

"Meanwhile, a survey by the watchdog on 16 credit card issuers also prompted a warning to consumers over misleading air miles programmes.

Some of the miles offered in the programmes were not free as additional administration and annual charges occurred during redemption.

"In fact, the cost of redeeming air tickets with credit card bonus points is not cheap," Leung said."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.