Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:42 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
If you're not a Citigold customer, what's the success rate in getting them to waive the annual fee?

Quite high? Or YMMV?
Very high. To the point that I haven't heard of anyone getting rejected after asking.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by percysmith
Very high. To the point that I haven't heard of anyone getting rejected after asking.
Thanks! Wouldn't want to pay the HK $1200 annual fee when the time comes around next year.

I wonder for those that have the Ultima Card...if they really have to pay HK $23,800 each year...or do those end up being waived too
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Thanks! Wouldn't want to pay the HK $1200 annual fee when the time comes around next year.

I wonder for those that have the Ultima Card...if they really have to pay HK $23,800 each year...or do those end up being waived too
I really don't think anyone actually pays it.

I am guessing you get a waiver if you are Citigold http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=2895

It's not an official privilege, but I'm guessing the waiver exists or else no-one will have that card. 23.8 is even more than Centurion (the annual fee only, not including the induction fee also due in 1st year).

But what are the benefits?

http://www.forbes.com/2007/07/03/ban..._slide_5.html#

Citibank Ultima
Citi has been issuing this card in the Middle East and emerging economies in Asia, including India. For about $1,200 (converted from the 50,000 Indian rupees annual fee) the card offers exclusive access to private islands and an array of elite concierge and travel assistance services.
http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/26/mos...eet-cards.html

Citigroup and Bank of America offer high-end cards through their private banking and private client businesses, offering perks for international travel, full-time concierge service, and rewards for purchases. Citi’s Ultima card, which is only offered in Asia, advertises perks like exclusive one-day use of a 80-foot luxury Ferretti yacht; 48-hour use of a Maserati 4200 Spyder; and access to a chauffer-driven Bentley limousine throughout the day. The Citibank Chairman’s Card currently offers reduced fees and flight time credits for Marquis Jet/Luxury Private Jet Services and complimentary breakfast for two and room upgrades at Ritz Carlton, Mandarin Oriental, Fairmont Hotels and others
Do I really need help booking all those yachts/Maseratis/limos? I reckon a bag of RMB "bricks" will be even more effective. Chairman appears to be more value for money, but I don't think it's available in HK.

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 11, 2012 at 1:33 am
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:03 am

Programs: UNITED 1P
With all the taxes discussion here, does anyone know if you can pay taxes with foreign credit card (such as Chase Sapphire from US) and earn points while doing so? Thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:22 am

correctioncx - yes but not directly. You have to have a CCB Unionpay card to pay the IRD. Then you use your HSBC card to settle the CCB Unionpay. You earn no points on the CCB payment to the IRD, but 1 RewardCash per $250 paid by HSBC to CCB (and given 1 RewardCash can be converted to 15 Asia Miles/Krisflyer Miles/Avios, that's $16.67/mile.

Before you start, can you check whether you have CCB Unionpay as a HSBC Internet Banking bill payment payee:

Well I'll apply for the CCB card tomorrow and try to use my HSBC Premier Mastercard to pay for that via the web when my taxes come in. Is that right way?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by nanirina
With all the taxes discussion here, does anyone know if you can pay taxes with foreign credit card (such as Chase Sapphire from US) and earn points while doing so? Thanks.
Great question...that I am not sure. I have the same card as well.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: UNITED 1P
Originally Posted by boardingfool
Well I'll apply for the CCB card tomorrow and try to use my HSBC Premier Mastercard to pay for that via the web when my taxes come in. Is that right way?
I also want to know if this offer has a deadline?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by nanirina
I also want to know if this offer has a deadline?
No hurry. No news on HSBC about shutting it down.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:17 am

If "that" is CCB Unionpay card then yes, you are correct.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:18 am

Great question...that I am not sure. I have the same card as well.
No. The payments go through PPS. USD not accepted.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:11 am
Suspended

If "that" is CCB Unionpay card then yes, you are correct.
Just to clarify, you use the HSBC Mastercard to pay for the CCB unionpay card bill? I thought they will not allow you to do this and what u meant was using the HSBC Premier account to pay for the CCB bill to get the points?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by correctioncx
Just to clarify, you use the HSBC Mastercard to pay for the CCB unionpay card bill? I thought they will not allow you to do this and what u meant was using the HSBC Premier account to pay for the CCB bill to get the points?
No. You are using the Premier credit card account as the debit account which is allowed, and that's why you are getting the points.
FYI, all platinum grade cards can get points from bill payment.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LchChester
No. You are using the Premier credit card account as the debit account which is allowed, and that's why you are getting the points.
FYI, all platinum grade cards can get points from bill payment.

Sorry? But this is not what percysmith said. He said you need to use the CCB Unionpay card to pay your tax billl (which earns 0 Points) and then use your HSBC account to PAY for the CCB unionpay card. Then your HSBC account will earn the points. But I am not 100% sure whether we are talking about the HSBC DEBIT card (ie. direct payment from account) or the HSBC Premier Mastercard?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:51 pm

correctioncx, HSBC Premier Mastercard. Not debit card.

Let me try and do a screen capture of my own rather than depend on others:

I don't have a Premier Mastercard (Visa Platinum pictured), but you can use a Premier Mastercard in lieu of Visa Platinum.

And it will post like this:

This only works for Banking Services payees like CCB Unionpay. There's also Amex, but I have to use my Current Account (i.e. debit) to settle it.

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 11, 2012 at 5:14 pm
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:13 pm
Suspended

correctioncx, HSBC Premier Mastercard. Not debit card.

Let me try and do a screen capture of my own rather than depend on others:

I don't have a Premier Mastercard (Visa Platinum pictured), but you can use a Premier Mastercard in lieu of Visa Platinum.

And it will post like this:

This only works for Banking Services payees like CCB Unionpay. There's also Amex, but I have to use my Current Account (i.e. debit) to settle it.
Will they charge interest or cash advance fee as this is like settling credit charges with more credit ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.