Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:28 am

Just read the OP post on top, should AMEX CX and premier miles both beat CCB (1miles per $4 vs 1 miles per $5)?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:50 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by LchChester
Just read the OP post on top, should AMEX CX and premier miles both beat CCB (1miles per $4 vs 1 miles per $5)?
Point taken - CX Amex, Premiermiles and DBS Black as well
Kaka pls update

Just as a sad reflection, many non-AE cards cut their overseas miles. Originally started with BEA, DBS, Shacom as well as Citi with non-AE at $4/mile or better. Now only Citi remains - foreign currency transactions that unprofitable now?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold OWE
Originally Posted by percysmith
Point taken - CX Amex, Premiermiles and DBS Black as well
Kaka pls update

Just as a sad reflection, many non-AE cards cut their overseas miles. Originally started with BEA, DBS, Shacom as well as Citi with non-AE at $4/mile or better. Now only Citi remains - foreign currency transactions that unprofitable now?
FWIW I think BEA World MC and SC VI are still $4/mile and Fubon Elite/Plat Visa (assuming an extension) is $3/mile.

On a related note, any new info on whether the SC Amex will be extended for another year? I only had 1 year validity on my card to 04/13 when it was reissued last year.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by toplayer
FWIW I think BEA World MC and SC VI are still $4/mile and Fubon Elite/Plat Visa (assuming an extension) is $3/mile.

On a related note, any new info on whether the SC Amex will be extended for another year? I only had 1 year validity on my card to 04/13 when it was reissued last year.
SC VI - Standard Chartered Visa Infinite? The non-Priority Banking (aka C9VI (oh sorry the new C9 VI should be the BoC WM VI))?

SC Amex - some go to 2014 (Some1 http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=6690&p=5). Mine expires next month but I'm confident they'll send me new cards.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold OWE
SC VI - Standard Chartered Visa Infinite? The non-Priority Banking (aka C9VI (oh sorry the new C9 VI should be the BoC WM VI))?

SC Amex - some go to 2014 (Some1 http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=6690&p=5). Mine expires next month but I'm confident they'll send me new cards.
Yes, the non-PB VI - sorry it should be HK$5/mile not HK$4/mile.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by toplayer
Mine expired 08/12 and was renewed to 08/15. Has the 360* Rewards logo on it now. Same expiry date too on my supplementary card.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:14 pm

[thank you, Chinatown.

B][/B]
Originally Posted by chinatown
Percy,

Agree with 154 in that case... for some reason i thought the cap was at 150 extra Mannings RC instead of 100RC...

Incy,

spending 1k at Mannings once a week (doesnt have to be fri-sun now) will net you 2310 miles.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by cy1978hk
Does anyone know if the Fubon Platinum credit card points conversion to asia miles option has been extended? The website said conversion to Asia Miles is applicable till Feb 28... I have around 1 million points to be converted...
Per Fubon Plat CS, yes, extended to 28 February 2014 http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=9705&p=1
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:15 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by marcuslai
Mine expired 08/12 and was renewed to 08/15. Has the 360* Rewards logo on it now. Same expiry date too on my supplementary card.
Mine renewed to 11/2015
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Mine renewed to 11/2015
Good. This is really becoming the "Don't leave home without it" card. Cuts through DCC like hot knife through butter, fewer rejections than Unionpay and can do deposit holds and CNP transactions (fax, online) too.

Ironically it's a wannabe Amex whereas I really do keep the real deal Amex at home.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Good. This is really becoming the "Don't leave home without it" card. Cuts through DCC like hot knife through butter, fewer rejections than Unionpay and can do deposit holds and CNP transactions (fax, online) too.

Ironically it's a wannabe Amex whereas I really do keep the real deal Amex at home.
Very true. I rarely use my real Amex card (unless I'm using the 50% off at Maxim's group restaurants).

Being able to buy 1 Asia Mile for HK$0.12 is absolutely the best deal in town. Just returned from a Rome shopping spree (and a booking on CX holidays, which also gives you 6x bonus points - just like overseas spending) - I just cleared my SC account before the trip - now I'm close to another mile conversion .... I'm going to have problems using up my miles very soon (600,000+ in my AM account!)

[For those of you with confused looks, SC allows you to buy 1 mile for every mile you earn though card spending - but you can only convert 99,000 miles in any one transaction, and you can only top up with cash if you don't have enough points]
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:09 am

Very true. I rarely use my real Amex card (unless I'm using the 50% off at Maxim's group restaurants).

Being able to buy 1 Asia Mile for HK$0.12 is absolutely the best deal in town. Just returned from a Rome shopping spree (and a booking on CX holidays, which also gives you 6x bonus points - just like overseas spending) - I just cleared my SC account before the trip - now I'm close to another mile conversion .... I'm going to have problems using up my miles very soon (600,000+ in my AM account!)

[For those of you with confused looks, SC allows you to buy 1 mile for every mile you earn though card spending - but you can only convert 99,000 miles in any one transaction, and you can only top up with cash if you don't have enough points]
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:10 am

Psychiatrist, I didnt (still dont) know about this entitlement to buy. You are talking about the Standard Chartered Amex, right? How does this work? Thank you.

Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Psychiatrist, I didnt (still dont) know about this entitlement to buy. You are talking about the Standard Chartered Amex, right? How does this work? Thank you.
SC 360 rewards T&C - please go to "4. EARNING & REDEEMING POINTS"

https://ibanklite.standardchartered....ewFAQ&menuNo=5

read it a few times, then try logging into your account and play around with the top-up (i.e. points purchase) system.

if you have enough points to redeem 50% of 99,000 AM (i.e. 742,500 SC points), then you can use HK$5,940 to buy another 742,500 points and convert 99,000 AM to your account. the maximum number of miles per conversion is 99,000 AM (and there's a HK$300 transaction fee)

Last edited by Psychiatrist; Feb 19, 2013 at 10:23 am Reason: clarity
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
http://www.standardchartered.com.hk/...gue.pdf#page=8

Cardholder can purchase 360° Rewards Points with Qualified Card when the combined 360° Rewards Points are insufficient to redeem selected Products, while the total 360° Rewards Points balance is not less than 50% of the required 360° Rewards Points. HK$0.008 per 360° Rewards Points (to be announced by the Bank from time to time) will be charged for the purchase.
0.008x15 = $0.12
Doesn't have to be SCB AE:

Redemption is only applicable to Cardholders of Standard Chartered Credit Card, Standard Chartered Gold Card, Standard Chartered Titanium Credit Card, Standard Chartered Platinum Credit Card, Standard Chartered Visa Infinite Credit Card, Standard Chartered Priority Banking Credit Card, Standard Chartered Preferred Banking Credit Card, Standard Chartered Shop'n Gain Credit Card, Standard Chartered American Express® Card, Standard Chartered UnionPay Dual Currency Platinum Credit Card, SmarTone Smart Credit Card and ZIX Credit Card under 360° Rewards Points Scheme ("Qualified Card"). It is not applicable to Cardholders of MANHATTAN Credit Cards, ESPRIT Smart Credit Card, Corporate / Business Card, and Cards under Standard Chartered Cash Back Scheme. The Qualified Card are subject to be amended by the Bank from time to time with prior notice.
Of course I find $0.12 expensive (I got miles for $0.05, tho latest cost if $0.0625). My value in use is $0.1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.