Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:47 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Shacom capping limits on remaining PLKers

Has anyone who've not received letter received a call today?

Have heard they have been calling PLKers who don't trade to say they too are subject to 1.0X limit I'm under. Any overpayment will not increase the available credit.

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 26, 2013 at 2:26 am
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Yeah. Looking at ICN. Only 1 seat for 27 Dec/1 Jan and that's in F!

Can fly further to Europe/US but costly in terms of both miles, $$$ (accomodation, transporation) and time.

I was desperate enough for snow I redeemed HKG-SYD-MEL-SYD-HKG for July 1 holiday. I figured I can drive up Mt. Buller from MEL faster than Thredbo from SYD, and redeemed it even tho it costs me 60K rather than the normal 45K to go to Aus - on Qantas instead of CX - and for two. Then the bloody red rat killed my afternoon flight making me head down the mountain right after dinner on the only day I'm really on the mountain.

Fri 28 Jun: Fly out of HKG after work to SYD
Sat 29 Jun: Fly from SYD to MEL - can only get there in the afternoon. Get the rental 4WD and drive up to Buller before dark
Sun 30 Jun: Rent ski gear, ski the day, return the ski gear, head back after dark. Must reach MEL airport hotel.
Mon 1 Jul: MEL-SYD 7:15am, SYD-HKG 9:50am.
I don't have that much miles...haha~ Have fun with your perfect trip :-)

By the way, I would like to know if I am able to book airlines other than CX and Dragonair within the 30%-off-AsiaMiles discount period? What exactly is code share flight? Sometimes I see one flight has two flight code? Is it what they call code share?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by host2087
I don't have that much miles...haha~ Have fun with your perfect trip :-)

By the way, I would like to know if I am able to book airlines other than CX and Dragonair within the 30%-off-AsiaMiles discount period? What exactly is code share flight? Sometimes I see one flight has two flight code? Is it what they call code share?
Airlines other than CX/KA during discount period: You can, they don't qualify for discount. You can mix them with CX/KA segments (e.g. HKG-SYD QF, SYD-HKG CX) and discount will only count for CX/KA segments.

Codeshare - an airline not operating the flight helps market the flight e.g. you can have CX fly a CX plane to Bangkok but besides being CX flight xxx it'll also be American Airlines Flight yyyy and Japan Airlines Flight zzzz. It just helps other airlines have seemingly greater reach. However for award purposes, the marketing bullshxt is ignored - you are only allowed to redeem with the operating carrier's flight code.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:10 pm

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=9809
https://www.hsbc.com.hk/1/2/special/cards/prom228

CanucksHKG - it's just prom228 again for 6 more weeks starting last Friday
Sorry I forgot to cross post this - I keep remembering I should and then thinking I've already did. I checked the last few days' posts and finally realised I didn't.

But you're mistaken about the earn rate - it's $1.23 per mile.
The only way you can get $0.9 per mile is if and only if your HSBC 6X (extra 5X) is selected as overseas spending (or China spending if spending in China on Visa/MC but not Unionpay) --> 12.5 + 6 = 18.5X --> 277.5AM/$250 --> 0.9/mile. I don't think the majority of us have 6X set to overseas.

The last prom228 caused me to spend half an hour at St Regis Shenzhen trying to get a DCC charge reversed...the only travelling I'm doing in the promo period is Thailand for Easter where I don't think the Sheraton will lock me into DCC against my will.
Just wondering is anyone brave enough to play this promo in the PRC with a Visa card?

Still have bad memories from this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...l#post19918163
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Yeah. Looking at ICN. Only 1 seat for 27 Dec/1 Jan and that's in F!

Can fly further to Europe/US but costly in terms of both miles, $$$ (accomodation, transporation) and time.

I was desperate enough for snow I redeemed HKG-SYD-MEL-SYD-HKG for July 1 holiday. I figured I can drive up Mt. Buller from MEL faster than Thredbo from SYD, and redeemed it even tho it costs me 60K rather than the normal 45K to go to Aus - on Qantas instead of CX - and for two. Then the bloody red rat killed my afternoon flight making me head down the mountain right after dinner on the only day I'm really on the mountain.

Fri 28 Jun: Fly out of HKG after work to SYD
Sat 29 Jun: Fly from SYD to MEL - can only get there in the afternoon. Get the rental 4WD and drive up to Buller before dark
Sun 30 Jun: Rent ski gear, ski the day, return the ski gear, head back after dark. Must reach MEL airport hotel.
Mon 1 Jul: MEL-SYD 7:15am, SYD-HKG 9:50am.
I didn't realise you are actually skiing, but really why bother if it is so short? also the Aust ski fields and equipment are so crap compare to Europe/US/Japan. Why don't you go elsewhere?

If I am you just stay in MEL or SYD and relax as looking at ur schedule it is quite tight and also dangerous with all the driving.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Has anyone who've not received letter received a call today?
[/U]
the call i received said i cannot bring credit over my limit. but can debit after credited up to my credit limit... seems to be contradicting to earlier calls (which I have never received). and tbh i only brought it over once or twice in nov/dec.

Last edited by kaka; Mar 26, 2013 at 1:39 am
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by correctioncx
I didn't realise you are actually skiing, but really why bother if it is so short? also the Aust ski fields and equipment are so crap compare to Europe/US/Japan. Why don't you go elsewhere?

If I am you just stay in MEL or SYD and relax as looking at ur schedule it is quite tight and also dangerous with all the driving.
Can't take leave in December-February, June, July and mid-August. Have to do with whatever long weekends I can find.

Looking at Christmas 2014, 25 December falls on a Thursday, 26 on a Friday, and I have the last weekend of December all the time. Can leave on Christmas Eve evening. Where in Europe/US/Japan can I go for four days? I'll redeem this Christmas.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by kaka
the call i received said i cannot bring credit over my limit. but can debit after credited up to my credit limit... seems to be contradicting to earlier calls (which I have never received). and tbh i only brought it over once or twice in nov/dec.
Same story with ksoo http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=8690&p=49 #482

I'm referring both your's and ksoo's stories to my sources - get them to contact CS again - have them clarify whether you guys are a different batch from us - you guys are just not allowed to overpay your account beyond approved credit limit, but yeah you seem to be allowed to draw down your account and then top it back to original credit limit again.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:57 am
Suspended

Can't take leave in December-February, June, July and mid-August. Have to do with whatever long weekends I can find.

Looking at Christmas 2014, 25 December falls on a Thursday, 26 on a Friday, and I have the last weekend of December all the time. Can leave on Christmas Eve evening. Where in Europe/US/Japan can I go for four days? I'll redeem this Christmas.
that is a pity, maybe Japan? because I strongly encourage not to drive/ski/drive within that short period of time.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 4:02 am

that is a pity, maybe Japan? because I strongly encourage not to drive/ski/drive within that short period of time.
I've driven in Okinawa and Aus...will get the exp driving up a mountain this summer (Australian winter).

Wonder is Hokkaido as easy to drive as Okinawa?

But this is FT AM board isn't it?
So...redemption for Sapporo on Christmas day, returning the following Sunday.
Probably have to do it in two one-ways if I don't want to miss out!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 4:09 am
Suspended

I've driven in Okinawa and Aus...will get the exp driving up a mountain this summer (Australian winter).

Wonder is Hokkaido as easy to drive as Okinawa?

But this is FT AM board isn't it?
So...redemption for Sapporo on Christmas day, returning the following Sunday.
Probably have to do it in two one-ways if I don't want to miss out!
well good luck.

Problem with CTS is I don't think during holiday season is that easy to get award space. (even revenue is hard).
Old Mar 12, 2013, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

Beware you must have a "sales slip" for this promo - so avoid any tour purchases online or by mail or fax order.
What about tickets issued thru TAs .. It's all e-tickets these days without need to actually sign a sales slip!

HSbC can be padentic in applying such archaic rules...
Old Mar 12, 2013, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
What about tickets issued thru TAs .. It's all e-tickets these days without need to actually sign a sales slip!

HSbC can be padentic in applying such archaic rules...
Yes, banks can tell whether the card was present in the transaction, magstripe or chip.

So my TA is used to me saying - "do not ticket - I will come up to your office on Saturday. I need to do a physical swipe". SCB also has similar requirement.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 5:42 am

well good luck.

Problem with CTS is I don't think during holiday season is that easy to get award space. (even revenue is hard).
Plan B is to go thru NRT/HND
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:35 am
Suspended

Yes, banks can tell whether the card was present in the transaction, magstripe or chip.

So my TA is used to me saying - "do not ticket - I will come up to your office on Saturday. I need to do a physical swipe". SCB also has similar requirement.
Actually some destinations eg CMB CX require then pax to sign even thou the ticket is issued and the slip signed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.