Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:25 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by correctioncx
Actually some destinations eg CMB CX require then pax to sign even thou the ticket is issued and the slip signed
But the transaction is not done at the time of signing, so probably won't qualify.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
CMB: you sign a charge slip from a manual credit card imprinter (no electroninc machine - kind of like what some smaller Priority Pass lounges have) - this takes a physical imprint of your credit card number etc

AFAIK the actual charge appears a few days later (just checked my SIN issued Amex statement from the last time i did this - 'transaction date' was the date on which my card was run by the maching, 'posting date' was 5 days later)

http://m2worldwide.wordpress.com/tag/payment/

PS: to clarify, CX CMB will issue the ticket after taking your card details/scanned image etc - usually just a day or 2 before the flight date (if you, like me , are 'collecting' the tickets at check-in) - the charge comes through later.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jagmeets
CMB: you sign a charge slip from a manual credit card imprinter (no electroninc machine - kind of like what some smaller Priority Pass lounges have) - this takes a physical imprint of your credit card number etc

AFAIK the actual charge appears a few days later (just checked my SIN issued Amex statement from the last time i did this - 'transaction date' was the date on which my card was run by the maching, 'posting date' was 5 days later)

http://m2worldwide.wordpress.com/tag/payment/

PS: to clarify, CX CMB will issue the ticket after taking your card details/scanned image etc - usually just a day or 2 before the flight date (if you, like me , are 'collecting' the tickets at check-in) - the charge comes through later.
Hi there just wondering for CMB do they force you to goto checkin to sign the slip or they can meet u at the lotus lounge? Because u need to pay a eta visa if u want to go landside
Old Mar 12, 2013, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
But in US/Europe, they do not need to swipe your card. Your card details are entered on the computer and it issues the ticket. You may sign a slip but generally, most TAs in US do not require you to sign the card anymore.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:34 pm

I think if it is the manual imprinter case with the transaction date being the date of imprint signing then yes that would qualify. If HSBC does not award 12.5X then you can send the imprint slip back to them.

Pizza Hut HK still does imprint for delivery.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:07 pm

Hi there just wondering for CMB do they force you to goto checkin to sign the slip or they can meet u at the lotus lounge? Because u need to pay a eta visa if u want to go landside
Yes - they can. Just let the CX CMB reservations office know of your arrival flight and they will get one of the CX staff to see you at the arrival gate if its in their 'operating time window'(not the airport/UL employees who man the check-in desks)

(If you're turning around from CX711, they might do the above proactively - but best to just ask)

Though, i'd highly recommend spending a bit of time in Sri Lanka - god awesome food!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Hi credit card gurus! Thanks for your help with an earlier question from me a couple months ago. Now another question or two:

I've got the CX Elite Amex, and also the Citi Rewards card. I have met my spending target for the Rewards intro offer for 200,000 points. So my question is, now what?

I think the conversion rate on the Citi PremierMiles is generally better. But as an existing Citi card holder, I wouldn't ordinarily qualify for the intro offer on that card now. But I thought I read way upthread that sometimes they target offers at existing cardholders where you can qualify for the intro offer again. Is Citi still doing that? Should I hold out to see if I get an offer like that?

Also, if I do get the PremierMiles card, are there cases where it still makes sense to use the Rewards card? For grocery shopping, for example, especially on the Wednesday bonus points offer?

Thanks again for everyone's help. Card earning never seemed this complicated back home, so it's great to have a resource for all the options in HK.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:17 pm

HSBC question: Does online shopping (not a HK web site) also count the $20-->$1RC bonus?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jagmeets
Yes - they can. Just let the CX CMB reservations office know of your arrival flight and they will get one of the CX staff to see you at the arrival gate if its in their 'operating time window'(not the airport/UL employees who man the check-in desks)

(If you're turning around from CX711, they might do the above proactively - but best to just ask)

Though, i'd highly recommend spending a bit of time in Sri Lanka - god awesome food!
Problem is that the res staff insist u goto checkin desk. But I think it is ok if I are able to OLCI and if hkg can issue all the BPs. Signing the slip is just a courtesy to them so they really should be more proactive.
I gathered this is not some govt requirement that u must transit landside?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by host2087
HSBC question: Does online shopping (not a HK web site) also count the $20-->$1RC bonus?
Take your time to read the past two pages of this thread and the T&C of the promotion.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:16 pm

Problem is that the res staff insist u goto checkin desk. But I think it is ok if I are able to OLCI and if hkg can issue all the BPs. Signing the slip is just a courtesy to them so they really should be more proactive.
I gathered this is not some govt requirement that u must transit landside?
perhaps we're going OT in the sub-thread here..
Nope - i've done both - landside, and at the transit counter airside..
Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Hi credit card gurus! Thanks for your help with an earlier question from me a couple months ago. Now another question or two:

I've got the CX Elite Amex, and also the Citi Rewards card. I have met my spending target for the Rewards intro offer for 200,000 points. So my question is, now what?

I think the conversion rate on the Citi PremierMiles is generally better. But as an existing Citi card holder, I wouldn't ordinarily qualify for the intro offer on that card now. But I thought I read way upthread that sometimes they target offers at existing cardholders where you can qualify for the intro offer again. Is Citi still doing that? Should I hold out to see if I get an offer like that?

Also, if I do get the PremierMiles card, are there cases where it still makes sense to use the Rewards card? For grocery shopping, for example, especially on the Wednesday bonus points offer?

Thanks again for everyone's help. Card earning never seemed this complicated back home, so it's great to have a resource for all the options in HK.
Bumping this question to see if anyone has any insight in particular on whether there's a chance of me getting a targeted offer for a welcome bonus for the PremierMiles card?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:13 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Crazyj82 - no, none recently. No idea when they'll resume and i never got one myself - i churn for my welcome offers. If you want the $8/mile then you have to apply for it.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Crazyj82 - no, none recently. No idea when they'll resume and i never got one myself - i churn for my welcome offers. If you want the $8/mile then you have to apply for it.
OK, thanks. In that case I'll probably just apply for the card and forego the welcome offer since I'm already a Citi cardholder.

Although am I correct in thinking that there are circumstances where the earn rate on the Rewards card will still be better (like grocery shopping on the Wednesday offer)? I'm aware there's a fee for converting rewards points to miles, but not one for PremierMiles conversion.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:36 pm

Yes rewards will earn more in a supermarket. Or dept store or telco (card present payment or autopay)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.