Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

HKG lounge access for transit passengers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG lounge access for transit passengers?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2022, 5:41 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by emblenworldtour
I travelled through HKG last week with mixed experience.

[...]

When leaving the plane the transit lane isn't clear but follow the crew signs. The transit experience was awful, packed into a small area with hundreds of people, many coughing. Not sure what is was like if you were entering HK but this was certainly wasn't Zero covid.

[...]

Kicker from this experience was wife tested +ve for C19 2 days after our time in supposedly Zero Covid HK.

HKG are just coming back to life, they have a long way to go to make it a pleasant experience.
Sound awful. But the scenario you were in was far from Zero Covid. Those transiting in HKG does not require a negative Covid test, even those arriving into HKG only require a self-declared negative RAT test. Neither do passengers ex-HKG require anything as most countries have dropped their requirements.
moondog and Alawyer like this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 5:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I travelled on separate tickets QR to HKG from LHR then a 10hr layover and on to SYD with CX on a 2nd ticket. QR took a fair bit of time at LHR to arrange to check our bags right through but persistence & copied of both their & One Worlds website helped when the initial answer was no. This allowed my wife & I to not have to leave the HKG.

When leaving the plane the transit lane isn't clear but follow the crew signs. The transit experience was awful, packed into a small area with hundreds of people, many coughing. Not sure what is was like if you were entering HK but this was certainly wasn't Zero covid.

We have filled in a Health Dec & received the Green QR code (just in case) but didn't need it. As had onwards tickets.

Pier Lounge only available to transit, as mentioned elsewhere Wing open for HK & China originating pax.

Pier lounge was OK, got very busy at times but showers were great & resting area nearby fairly empty. Choice of food & drink very average.

When called to gate it was a free for all, my wife was stuck in the middle of hundreds of coughing passengers. Eventually the Business passengers managed to make their way to the gate.

Flight to SYD was OK.

Kicker from this experience was wife tested +ve for C19 2 days after our time in supposedly Zero Covid HK.

HKG are just coming back to life, they have a long way to go to make it a pleasant experience.
​​​​Did anything prevent you from leaving the airport after you discovered how bad the transit area was? Ten hours is a long time to wait in an uncomfortable environment.

Last edited by moondog; Nov 15, 2022 at 1:51 am
Old Nov 15, 2022, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I travelled on separate tickets QR to HKG from LHR then a 10hr layover and on to SYD with CX on a 2nd ticket. QR took a fair bit of time at LHR to arrange to check our bags right through but persistence & copied of both their & One Worlds website helped when the initial answer was no. This allowed my wife & I to not have to leave the HKG.

We have filled in a Health Dec & received the Green QR code (just in case) but didn't need it. As had onwards tickets.

Pier Lounge only available to transit, as mentioned elsewhere Wing open for HK & China originating pax.

Pier lounge was OK, got very busy at times but showers were great & resting area nearby fairly empty. Choice of food & drink very average.

When called to gate it was a free for all, my wife was stuck in the middle of hundreds of coughing passengers. Eventually the Business passengers managed to make their way to the gate.

Flight to SYD was OK.

I was just chatting with a friend who transited through HK not long ago and found it fast and efficient

She mentioned that they were immediately directed to the arrival/departure check point. Once cleared she was in the departure level free to roam anywhere up to the green zone (gate 24) or g to the Pier.
What you called the "transit area"packed with hundreds of pax was the transit security checkpoint with a long wait?
Old Nov 15, 2022, 10:48 pm

Hopefully some answers

Yes, the 'transit area' is the transit security check area. We spent about 30 minutes in there, lots of people, queuing closely. Once through there was plenty of space in the terminal & Pier was well spaced out.
No we didn't have the option of leaving the airport, once transit lane is chosen you're committed because you've skipped the PCR testing.
The boarding gate was just really badly organised. No separate lanes for tier & business & even though called forward first, every passenger just rushed fwd. Yes my wife (much politer than I) got stuck in the ensuing melee.
Agree it's not Zero covid BUT it's also very unsafe if reducing transmission is a stated aim.
brunos likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 5:01 pm

Was at the lounge today - fairly atrocious. Zoo. The men’s bathroom had a line out the door.

also - horrible signage. We landed in the “new” area - gates 1-30ish, and there was not a single sign for a lounge anywhere.

once we reached the end of the hallway around gate 59 there weee signs. But we were wandering for a while.

ernestnywang likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 6:36 am
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
Anyone knows if The Wing F is back to normal which only serve DM or OWE pax? I recall that it was once serving all pax when traffic was light
Old Nov 29, 2022, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Originally Posted by arabiamark
Any source for this info or any specific date yet for the opening?
To answer my own question. The Centurion Lounge is open as of 1500 today, per the Centurion Lounge website and a repost of a Facebook post that appeared in the AMEX forum. For those of us on short connections, the lounges in the center between the two piers could be a better option than the Cathay Pier lounge. I have such a situaion twice in this coming week. I will choose whichever lounge gives me the most time closest to the gate.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 10:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by Chatter
Anyone knows if The Wing F is back to normal which only serve DM or OWE pax? I recall that it was once serving all pax when traffic was light
I flew out of HKG last weekend and the a la carte restaurant at Wing F was limited to DM / F only (not Emerald).
Everyone else was directed to a buffet that was set up outside the restaurant (the 'tea terrace' part).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.