Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

$250 fee for changing redemption booking with infant within 24 hours?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2022, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Through the CX call center, I made a Asia Miles booking for CX metal to a US destination. The redemption included an infant-in-lap, with a paid fare (around 10-20% of the adult fare).

Immediately after booking, I realized that the date was wrong, and called back to switch the booking to a new date that also had award availability. I was told:

- adults could freely switch to new date, as the booking was within 24 hours
- infant revenue fare could not be changed, as it was tied to a a redemption booking. My only option was to cancel the fare for a refund, less a $250 penalty. I'd then have to re-pay for a new infant fare.

I believe the $250 cancellation charge is incorrect due to being within the 24-hour cooling off period to a US destination. Can someone please advise?
Old Dec 5, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by lewis_saint
Through the CX call center, I made a Asia Miles booking for CX metal to a US destination. The redemption included an infant-in-lap, with a paid fare (around 10-20% of the adult fare).

Immediately after booking, I realized that the date was wrong, and called back to switch the booking to a new date that also had award availability. I was told:

- adults could freely switch to new date, as the booking was within 24 hours
- infant revenue fare could not be changed, as it was tied to a a redemption booking. My only option was to cancel the fare for a refund, less a $250 penalty. I'd then have to re-pay for a new infant fare.

I believe the $250 cancellation charge is incorrect due to being within the 24-hour cooling off period to a US destination. Can someone please advise?
CX seems to only honour the US DOT rule if the ticket is purchased via its US website or office (https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...a-penalty.html). I don't know if CX is allowed to do that, but I don't know if the US DOT policy applies to you. If it does, I don't see why infant tickets would be any different. What is the fare basis on the infant ticket? I don't understand why it can't be changed, even if there is a penalty.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

- The ticket was purchased on the US CX call center, as it couldn't be ticketed online.
- The fare basis is $244.00 for the ticket, plus another $244.08 in taxes.
- I assumed the DOT policy applies to me as the itinerary arrives to the US.
- When attempting to change the overall booking with CX over the phone, they seemed technically unable to adjust the infant ticket (paid fare within a redemption booking). Their only solution was to cancel the infant ticket entirely, change the redemption, then re-fare a new infant fare to the booking.
- On a recent call, a new CX agent added the following notes to my booking, but it is unclear if the notes will be reviewed by the refund department:
CANCELLATION OF TICKET FOR INFANT WITH SEAT OR INFANT WITHOUT SEAT
FULL REFUND AMOUNT WILL BE PROVIDED TO PASSENGER UNDER
EMPOWERMENT WITHIN 24 HOURS FREE CANCELLATION
At this point I'll see what amount gets refunded to my credit card in a few days, though it has been a frustrating process. CX's WhatsApp chat has been useless, taking 36+ hours to respond, and then ending the chat within minutes.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by lewis_saint
- The ticket was purchased on the US CX call center, as it couldn't be ticketed online.
- The fare basis is $244.00 for the ticket, plus another $244.08 in taxes.
- I assumed the DOT policy applies to me as the itinerary arrives to the US.
- When attempting to change the overall booking with CX over the phone, they seemed technically unable to adjust the infant ticket (paid fare within a redemption booking). Their only solution was to cancel the infant ticket entirely, change the redemption, then re-fare a new infant fare to the booking.
- On a recent call, a new CX agent added the following notes to my booking, but it is unclear if the notes will be reviewed by the refund department:

At this point I'll see what amount gets refunded to my credit card in a few days, though it has been a frustrating process. CX's WhatsApp chat has been useless, taking 36+ hours to respond, and then ending the chat within minutes.
US DOT policy certainly applies since you bought from the US call centre, and it seems CX may agree with you for the full refund, so hope you get what you want.

What I originally asked for is the fare basis, not the base fare. Without the fare basis (and in fact, origin and destination), it will be quite difficult to know what fare rules you are subject to, but this is moot now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.