FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - $250 fee for changing redemption booking with infant within 24 hours?
Old Dec 5, 2022, 12:31 pm
ernestnywang

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by lewis_saint
Through the CX call center, I made a Asia Miles booking for CX metal to a US destination. The redemption included an infant-in-lap, with a paid fare (around 10-20% of the adult fare).

Immediately after booking, I realized that the date was wrong, and called back to switch the booking to a new date that also had award availability. I was told:

- adults could freely switch to new date, as the booking was within 24 hours
- infant revenue fare could not be changed, as it was tied to a a redemption booking. My only option was to cancel the fare for a refund, less a $250 penalty. I'd then have to re-pay for a new infant fare.

I believe the $250 cancellation charge is incorrect due to being within the 24-hour cooling off period to a US destination. Can someone please advise?
CX seems to only honour the US DOT rule if the ticket is purchased via its US website or office (https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...a-penalty.html). I don't know if CX is allowed to do that, but I don't know if the US DOT policy applies to you. If it does, I don't see why infant tickets would be any different. What is the fare basis on the infant ticket? I don't understand why it can't be changed, even if there is a penalty.