FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   HKG lounge access for transit passengers? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/2092054-hkg-lounge-access-transit-passengers.html)

RealtimeY Aug 25, 2022 9:53 pm

HKG lounge access for transit passengers?

I am currently booked with CX to travel SYD-HKG-TPE. I understand The Pier is open, but are there any COVID restrictions that would bar me from entering?

jaytw Aug 26, 2022 1:52 am

Originally Posted by RealtimeY (Post 34546154)
I am currently booked with CX to travel SYD-HKG-TPE. I understand The Pier is open, but are there any COVID restrictions that would bar me from entering?

You will need to download the Hong Kong contact tracing app LeaveHomeSafe and scan a QR code when you go in. I recall you also were supposed to have proof of vaccination, but I was never asked for it. On the SYD-HKG-TPE routing, you will only have access to the Pier.

benmitchell Aug 26, 2022 4:18 am

Originally Posted by jaytw (Post 34546459)
You will need to download the Hong Kong contact tracing app LeaveHomeSafe and scan a QR code when you go in. I recall you also were supposed to have proof of vaccination, but I was never asked for it. On the SYD-HKG-TPE routing, you will only have access to the Pier.

The Pier is pretty grim these days with worn out carpet and chairs and staff who have that look on thier faces that clearly states they dont want to be there. THey dont even care if you dont wear your mask.

SFO_FT Sep 29, 2022 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by jaytw (Post 34546459)

The Pier requires the LHS app for transit pax? And for HKG-originating pax, as well?

Arbeysix Sep 29, 2022 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT (Post 34641808)
The Pier requires the LHS app for transit pax? And for HKG-originating pax, as well?

Originally Posted by benmitchell (Post 34546635)
The Pier is pretty grim these days with worn out carpet and chairs and staff who have that look on thier faces that clearly states they dont want to be there. THey dont even care if you dont wear your mask.

I've spent approx. 20 hours in Pier J in the past few weeks and have a slightly different view. This remains an excellent J lounge by any standards (my recent comparators are QR, QF First, JAL, SQ). My perception is that food quality has improved since pre-COVID (when it had declined noticeably) and is now somewhere in between where Pier J and F used to be. I found the staff super helpful and my impression was they were generally happy to be back in business. My only complaint is that it was getting quite busy at times and I'm wondering when Pier F and other lounges will reopen. A shame I think that the Bridge was closed.

Arbeysix Sep 29, 2022 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT (Post 34641808)

It is not needed for transit pax. Only body temperature is checked upon arrival at the lounge.

flyinglan Oct 1, 2022 2:10 am

I am planning to spend the night in HKG airport. KUL-HKG-TPE/KHH. KUL-HKG arrives at night time, HKG-TPE/KHH departs the following day.
Is it possible to spend the night in the airport lounge/boarding area?
I don't really want to enter Hong Kong and risk of test positive.
Thanks.

brunos Oct 1, 2022 4:09 am

Originally Posted by flyinglan (Post 34645556)
I am planning to spend the night in HKG airport. KUL-HKG-TPE/KHH. KUL-HKG arrives at night time, HKG-TPE/KHH departs the following day.
Thanks.

WIth 6 nonstop KUL-TPE by different airlines, it is a bit weird to have a transit in HKG of 12 hours overnight.
CX J and F lounges close after the last flight (typically 1am).
There are usually no flights departing before 6am, unless a delayed one.
I doubt that you will be kicked out of some boarding area overnight, but no fun.

moondog Oct 1, 2022 6:26 am

Originally Posted by flyinglan (Post 34645556)
Thanks.

Why don't you take a flight to HKG that arrives during the daytime?

ernestnywang Oct 1, 2022 9:15 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 34645845)
Why don't you take a flight to HKG that arrives during the daytime?

There are very few same day connection options between TPE and short-haul CX destinations these days. Overnight is often required. CX/UO only operates on average ~2 flights a day to TPE.

flyinglan Oct 2, 2022 8:12 am

Initiall I have a work trip to KUL with a transit in HKG with CX. Last minute decision to extend the HKG layover so I can make a side trip to TPE.

dmatthew Oct 12, 2022 9:06 am

Are the showers open in both Wing and Pier Business Class lounges?

somemale Oct 12, 2022 11:11 am

It was at Pier in August so I assume it’s available at Wing as well.

wyskevin Oct 15, 2022 12:00 am

I just flied KHH-HKG-SYD yesterday. HK express + CX.
I bought KHH-HKG and HKG-SYD as two seperate tickets but HK express still interline my luggage to destination, sydney and issued two boarding passes for me, amazing! The two boarding passes were printed with HK express logo and there was no any CX membership number/status on them.

After arriving in HKG airport, I went to transit area to ask CX crew reissue me a new CX boarding pass and lounge invitation. I also requested my luggage to get first class priority and surely she was happy to do that for me. When arriving in the Pier business lounge, the crew lead me into a special area exclusively for DM where la carte and wine list were provided , just like the Pier First lounge before . This was very nice surprise.Well, the la carte was so so but wine list was better than the Pier First lounge used to be. There was one champagne in 2009 which used to be served in F class FRA to HKG.

AJGold Oct 19, 2022 8:53 pm

Does anyone else have more information on this separate section in the Pier Business lounge? I have been wondering what OWE and DM members get given no first class lounge. Also does anyone know if OWE are allowed here?