Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

HKG lounge access for transit passengers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG lounge access for transit passengers?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2022, 12:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyinglan
I had a recent experience of 9 hours overnight layover at HKIA with seperate PNRs on CX.
I arrived around 10 pm, used the lounge invitation I received at KUL to enter the lounge. The gate agent took my invitation card and asked where I came from, I told him from the KUL flight. I was not asked to scan the HK healthcode, actually I didn't have it.
Spent the night in the airside, yes, the Decathlon sleeping bag and inflatable pillow works like charm.
The following morning, I went to the lounge again (6am) with my boarding pass for the next flight. Agent scanned it and let me in.
It could be the timing of my second flight the agent didn't ask for further proof that I stayed in transit area the whole time. If you could demostrate less than 24 hours connection (boarding pass), I think you will be fine not needing to scan the HK healthcode app.
Aren't there open hotels near the airport?
Old Oct 31, 2022, 3:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Thanks for the report.
Is Pier Business Lounge the only lounge opened for qualified pax? Or were you admitted to some other lounge?
Was the overnight experience at HKG like a ghost town?
Transit passengers are only permitted to use the Pier lounge or lounges such plaza premium, Chase lounge (just opened). For passengers originating their trip from HKG, they can access other CX lounges located near the departure hall. There is a check-point around gate 12 or so, once the passenger passes this point, they can not return to the departure hall area. Obviously transit passengers are not allowed to pass this check-point either. There seems to be more shops and restaurants near departure hall area (from pictures I see online). Flights to China are departing from that area as well.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Aren't there open hotels near the airport?
Didn't want to risk getting PCR positive result upon entry. I know the chance is low, but just want to be safe.
Plaza Premium does have 6 hours sleeping cabin (1500 HKD) but they are fully booked weeks before I made my travel plan.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 2:00 am

So I checked with CX PR on accessing the lounges if you still carry an 'amber' code on the HK app (ie have been in HK for less than three days, bearing in mind that day 0 is your day of arrival), and here's the response:

The airline must scan an individual's LHS for passengers departing from Hong Kong and wishing to enter a Cathay Pacific lounge. If the passenger has an amber code, they will not be able to enter the lounge.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 5:20 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Thanks djsflynn

Anyone know, or been to Plaza Premium / Chase / Centurion (opening later this month), know if we're required to scan LHS?
Old Nov 3, 2022, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Thanks djsflynn

Anyone know, or been to Plaza Premium / Chase / Centurion (opening later this month), know if we're required to scan LHS?
I have been asked to scan previously at Plaza Premium but that was a few months back.

I was not asked to scan at the Chase lounge but this could have been an oversight due to the single agent being swamped with a long line of people trying to get in, most of whom were ineligible. It was a bit chaotic (not the agent’s fault) and I only realised I hadn’t been asked to scan when I got to my destination.
JordanWalker likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 2:51 am

Thanks djsflynn

Just went to Chase lounge today, I was not asked to show LHS. The agent simply looked at my onward bp and didn't mention anything. The food and service at Chase lounge was sub-par.
I also went to the CX Pier, the agent looked my invitation and could tell from it that I was a connecting passenger, didn't ask me for LHS.
ernestnywang and JordanWalker like this.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 7:27 pm

We've got an overnight transit in HKG - arriving about 2130 then departing 0830 the next morning. Plaza Premium charges HKD$1400 for their tiny private resting room, which seems exhorbitant .

Fortunately CX844 (the 0320 flight to JFK) is operating, so hopefully the Pier will be open until this flight boards? Does anyone know what the situation is with the napping area in the lounge?

Will then head to the Gate 35 Plaza Premium lounge for a couple hours before the Pier reopens at 0530.

The alternative is to clear immigration and overnight at Regal, but with the risk of getting a +ve PCR.

Any thoughts?
Old Nov 7, 2022, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by furryraccoon
We've got an overnight transit in HKG - arriving about 2130 then departing 0830 the next morning. Plaza Premium charges HKD$1400 for their tiny private resting room, which seems exhorbitant .

Fortunately CX844 (the 0320 flight to JFK) is operating, so hopefully the Pier will be open until this flight boards? Does anyone know what the situation is with the napping area in the lounge?

Will then head to the Gate 35 Plaza Premium lounge for a couple hours before the Pier reopens at 0530.

The alternative is to clear immigration and overnight at Regal, but with the risk of getting a +ve PCR.

Any thoughts?
There is a napping area at the very end of the CX Pier, past the shower entrance. I didn't try it.
I had similar transit time, I spent 30 USD on a light weight sleeping bag and inflatable camping pillow from Decathlon. Maybe you want to invest on chain-lock for your carry-on luggage.
furryraccoon and clubeurope like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:10 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi all,
Since I am seeing different outcome if the LHS app is needed, just wanted to ask to be clear.
I am planning on getting a ticket with CX - transiting in HKG ( for 5 hours). As a transit pax, do I need to download this LHS app and show proof of vaccination?

Cheers!
Old Nov 9, 2022, 1:05 am

Hey all, I'm planning to book CX SYD-HKG arriving 2125 22/11 and connect with an AY award flight on a separate booking HKG-HEL leaving 23/11 2205. I hear that CX will through check a bag for partners, I'm wondering if they would still through check a bag just outside 24 hrs and if they would issue all boarding passes when checking in at SYD?

I would prefer to not leave the airport due to the covid rules in HKG and according to some replies in this thread if I do leave, I wouldn't be able to visit the lounge in HKG. What is the likelihood they can through check and issue boarding passes together?

I was reading this article: Hong Kong International Airport & Cathay Pacific The Wing (FIRST) And Pier (BUSINESS) Lounge Experience On October 1, 2022 - LoyaltyLobby which says the pier lounge allows passengers that don't have a blue code, but this seems contrary to what others have said in this thread.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 2:51 am

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Thanks djsflynn

Centurion (opening later this month)
Any source for this info or any specific date yet for the opening?
Old Nov 9, 2022, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi all,
Since I am seeing different outcome if the LHS app is needed, just wanted to ask to be clear.
I am planning on getting a ticket with CX - transiting in HKG ( for 5 hours). As a transit pax, do I need to download this LHS app and show proof of vaccination?

Cheers!
No
Old Nov 13, 2022, 2:08 pm

I travelled through HKG last week with mixed experience.
I travelled on separate tickets QR to HKG from LHR then a 10hr layover and on to SYD with CX on a 2nd ticket. QR took a fair bit of time at LHR to arrange to check our bags right through but persistence & copied of both their & One Worlds website helped when the initial answer was no. This allowed my wife & I to not have to leave the HKG.

When leaving the plane the transit lane isn't clear but follow the crew signs. The transit experience was awful, packed into a small area with hundreds of people, many coughing. Not sure what is was like if you were entering HK but this was certainly wasn't Zero covid.

We have filled in a Health Dec & received the Green QR code (just in case) but didn't need it. As had onwards tickets.

Pier Lounge only available to transit, as mentioned elsewhere Wing open for HK & China originating pax.

Pier lounge was OK, got very busy at times but showers were great & resting area nearby fairly empty. Choice of food & drink very average.

When called to gate it was a free for all, my wife was stuck in the middle of hundreds of coughing passengers. Eventually the Business passengers managed to make their way to the gate.

Flight to SYD was OK.

Kicker from this experience was wife tested +ve for C19 2 days after our time in supposedly Zero Covid HK.

HKG are just coming back to life, they have a long way to go to make it a pleasant experience.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by emblenworldtour
I travelled through HKG last week with mixed experience.
I travelled on separate tickets QR to HKG from LHR then a 10hr layover and on to SYD with CX on a 2nd ticket. QR took a fair bit of time at LHR to arrange to check our bags right through but persistence & copied of both their & One Worlds website helped when the initial answer was no. This allowed my wife & I to not have to leave the HKG.

When leaving the plane the transit lane isn't clear but follow the crew signs. The transit experience was awful, packed into a small area with hundreds of people, many coughing. Not sure what is was like if you were entering HK but this was certainly wasn't Zero covid.

We have filled in a Health Dec & received the Green QR code (just in case) but didn't need it. As had onwards tickets.

Pier Lounge only available to transit, as mentioned elsewhere Wing open for HK & China originating pax.

Pier lounge was OK, got very busy at times but showers were great & resting area nearby fairly empty. Choice of food & drink very average.

When called to gate it was a free for all, my wife was stuck in the middle of hundreds of coughing passengers. Eventually the Business passengers managed to make their way to the gate.

Flight to SYD was OK.

Kicker from this experience was wife tested +ve for C19 2 days after our time in supposedly Zero Covid HK.

HKG are just coming back to life, they have a long way to go to make it a pleasant experience.
Would you mind expanding on details of the "transit area"? Where the transit pax parked in some area?

How was the boarding gate organized?
ou seem to suggest that most pax were "coughing', probably suggesting that they were transit pax. I would have thought that there were many pax originating from HK.
Was there the usual boarding lanes for different status/travel classes?
Why did you wife get separated from you? (silly question)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.