Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

A Fix for the New "Elevated" Award Booking Engine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Fix for the New "Elevated" Award Booking Engine

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
I didn't try booking, but it was refreshing to have a simple search method. Thanks! Bought you a few coffees. :-)
Old Sep 11, 2022, 12:27 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Thanks for following up and checking. I would NOT ignore the flights 353+ days out. That info is still helpful for advanced planning.

For example, today, I was able to use your tool to search for YVR-NRT on JL departing 01 Sep 2023. That date is 357 days out. I saw two J seats available, and tried to book it, and it worked! Got two CX 160- e-tickets (JL metal) emailed to me already.

So, apparently, in this example, JL offers bookable flights for redemption earlier than CX does!
That’s not news. For HKers trying to redeem for Japan, Avios has turned into pesos as AM is superior for both JL and CX redemption window and availability respectively.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by cgo
I have a question for you though. I have been wanting to do a 'multicarrier award ticket' redemption, 4 segments in total. Each individual segment is showing as 'available' in the elevated + unelevated search engine. But when I contacted the call centre to book, they say that all the flights I have requested are not available for redemption.

The reason why I wanted to use the call centre to book is to save on the miles. The multicarrier award cost 165k miles, vs booking each flight per segment will cost more than that.

I have request the agent to repeatedly check and they said their amadeus system is real time.

Is this a normal experience? Or this is just a crappy bug that CX hasnt fixed?
1, Pre-pandemic, call centre is usually has the best availability.

2. Recently I found myself correcting agents or insisting they trying they initially said not possible. This is in case of refund situations, so in case of booking situations, the solution is to HUACA (as difficult as it is to perform these days)

3. But if multiple agents (in different shifts) say no then this may be still be a genuine system limitation.

If I haven't had so many miles pre-pandemic I wouldn't be going into miles to multi-carrier redemption.
Essentially all my future travel are still optimistic and are just simple returns with a stopover if necessary.
The most-likely use case for my Asia Miles is still fare offset at HK$0.058/AM. If you've less pre-pandemic miles than me, you get to be a bit more picky I guess.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
That’s not news.
Didn't say this was news. This is an example for jaytw not to modify the script to ignore data from 353+ days out. The information is still helpful for planning.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 11:48 am

Thank you all for your help. I didn't see that leg prior to booking... but ended up booking Mumbai > LHR > JFK via BA J for 90k a piece, plus $500. Not great, but it will be cool to spend a couple nights in Mumbai after Thailand, so we're stoked!
Old Sep 17, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: EK Gold, *A Gold,CX Gold, 9W Plat,SPG Gold,EY Gold,Hilton Gold
I am unable to book any flights to USA Ex Mumbai Drop Down Menu is not poping its a disgrace my miles are due at expiry but unable to use them ? Can anyone help.?
Old Sep 17, 2022, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plus Platinum, Caesar's Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by cgo
You are a life saver, quite literally.
Now i wanted to ask if you have a multi-city version for this?
Unfortunately, I'm not confident it's possible to do a multi-city version of this, as multi-city requires page changes, and this tool relies on parameters on the page, which would be defeated by the constant page changes.

Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
I didn't try booking, but it was refreshing to have a simple search method. Thanks! Bought you a few coffees. :-)
Thanks so much! Super appreciated!

Originally Posted by Evan Bost
Thank you all for your help. I didn't see that leg prior to booking... but ended up booking Mumbai > LHR > JFK via BA J for 90k a piece, plus $500. Not great, but it will be cool to spend a couple nights in Mumbai after Thailand, so we're stoked!
That's great to hear, Evan. I love that you embody the spirit of award travel and embrace the unexpected. I hope you have a swell time.

Originally Posted by vishruts
I am unable to book any flights to USA Ex Mumbai Drop Down Menu is not poping its a disgrace my miles are due at expiry but unable to use them ? Can anyone help.?
Vishruts, did you install the plugin? If you did, you can just enter BOM for Mumbai, there is no dropdown to select from. If you want to see the codes for each city, you can search using the Cathay search first, and it will show you the airport code behind the City like (XXX)
Old Sep 17, 2022, 10:15 pm

jaytw Thanks for your extenssion, is it possible to choose only 1 airline code? I think QR are not honor the redemption from cathay, but they still show in the results.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 3:49 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
Originally Posted by seba
jaytw Thanks for your extenssion, is it possible to choose only 1 airline code? I think QR are not honor the redemption from cathay, but they still show in the results.
Is it not working in Economy now as well?
Old Sep 18, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: EK Gold, *A Gold,CX Gold, 9W Plat,SPG Gold,EY Gold,Hilton Gold
@jaytw Thanks for the input when I put Mumbai to New York the Airline menu doesn't open up. so I am stuck. Which Extension are you talking about. ?
Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by vishruts
@jaytw Thanks for the input when I put Mumbai to New York the Airline menu doesn't open up. so I am stuck. Which Extension are you talking about. ?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34536689-post1.html

Originally Posted by jaytw
I've put together a userscript that basically forces the website to accept the old booking engine parameters, and I've submitted it to greasyfork for anyone that's interested.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:44 am

Thanks so much Jay! A few coffees coming your way!
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:18 am

Thanks Jay - coffee heading your way
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:36 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
Trying Qatar J from time to time and still not bookable. Looks like Asiamiles is blacklisted by QR.
mcdullhk88 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by SpeedAdvantage
Trying Qatar J from time to time and still not bookable. Looks like Asiamiles is blacklisted by QR.
Since the tool doesn't allow Multi-City search, I'm trying to use the native tool on the CX site. However, it doesn't even give me the option to pick flights between JFK and HKT/BKK. Their new site is really piece of junk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.