Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles - no expiry as long as there is activity every 18 months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asia Miles - no expiry as long as there is activity every 18 months

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:59 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ukinny2000
Now, it may be because the award was cancelled within 24 hours, so perhaps this isn't a perfect data point
Hope so. But thanks for reporting back anyway!
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
The miles got redeposited, and bad news I'm afraid : they got redeposited with the same, original, non-activity-based expiration dates. The expiry dates for miles used was Jan-20, Jan-21, and Mar-21. I used up all my time-based miles in the booking, and they all got returned to the time-based booking.
How did you have miles expiring in both Jan. 2020 and Mar. 2021?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 1:38 pm

They were miles that expire 3 years after the earn date. Some were earnt in Mar 2018 I suppose. Others in Jan 18. And the bulk in Jan 17.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:13 pm

They were miles that expire 3 years after the earn date. Some were earnt in Mar 2018 I suppose. Others in Jan 18. And the bulk in Jan 17.
Umm I thought the old Asia Miles would always expire in the month of your membership anniversary. If you have miles expiring in Jan 2020 and Jan 2021, the next date should be Jan 2022?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:50 am

you're right and I misread lol not sure how that happened. Sorry
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:10 am

you're right and I misread lol not sure how that happened. Sorry
Could you confirm that miles was in fact deducted and re-deposited? If you refunded within 24 hours, is it possible that miles were never deducted in the first place (i. e., e-ticket was never issued)? Were you charged penalty?

I understand that it didn't become "new" miles (no expiration with activity), but the fact that it returned with separate expiry dates seems to be different from the previous practice as well. Previously, I believe others had reported that miles would be returned with at least another 3 years of validity.

It would be really helpful if you could kindly clarify these points. Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Could you confirm that miles was in fact deducted and re-deposited? If you refunded within 24 hours, is it possible that miles were never deducted in the first place (i. e., e-ticket was never issued)? Were you charged penalty?

I understand that it didn't become "new" miles (no expiration with activity), but the fact that it returned with separate expiry dates seems to be different from the previous practice as well. Previously, I believe others had reported that miles would be returned with at least another 3 years of validity.

It would be really helpful if you could kindly clarify these points. Thanks!
The miles were deducted, the ticket was issued. I cancelled within 24 hours, but no fee / penalty paid as I availed myself of US-free-24-hour cancellation (though for some reason agent on the phone said they were waiving the fee as a one-time courtesy). Miles were re-deposited two days later into account.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:21 am

The miles were deducted, the ticket was issued. I cancelled within 24 hours, but no fee / penalty paid as I availed myself of US-free-24-hour cancellation (though for some reason agent on the phone said they were waiving the fee as a one-time courtesy). Miles were re-deposited two days later into account.
I see. Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:42 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Just curious - do you still see redemption and redeposit line items in mileage activity?

When I reissue tix, I usually lost the original redemption activity line item.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:38 am

From the Asia Miles website, shows that spending on co-branded cards count:

Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by CX HK
From the Asia Miles website, shows that spending on co-branded cards count:

Does CX even have a good co-branded card or the best way to earn Asia Miles is with AMEX and Citi?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by lsquare
Does CX even have a good co-branded card or the best way to earn Asia Miles is with AMEX and Citi?
Depending on region. TW and US both have co-branded cards but the US version is meh imo.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:57 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Standard Chartered Asia Miles, and Cathay Pacific Amex in HK are decent co-branded cards.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:19 pm

In the US, the CX cobranded card is offered by Synchrony Bank.

While the public bonus is listed as 40K, there have been targeted offers for 50K, 60K, 65K and 70K respectively. Aside from offering complimentary MPC Green (not sure what one gets with this), the only nuance for this card is the 1.5X points on *all* spending outside of the US. For me, it's not Amex/Chase, earns Asiamiles without an expiration date, from a lender I've yet to pillage and doesn't take up the more valuable slots in Amex/Chase.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Standard Chartered Asia Miles, and Cathay Pacific Amex in HK are decent co-branded cards.
Most people sign up for both; they use the CX AMEX card for the welcome offer and cut it after one year to avoid the annual fee, while using the SC AM card as their main driver for food, online, and foreign currency spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.