Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles - no expiry as long as there is activity every 18 months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asia Miles - no expiry as long as there is activity every 18 months

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'll probably sign up for one post-1/1/2020. Going to spend a bit of time during the holidays to read up on AM.
I'm not sure how that promo works but most likely even if you sign up now the extra miles will not post until after end of year?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I'm not sure how that promo works but most likely even if you sign up now the extra miles will not post until after end of year?
Yeah, anyone with a good offer (mine expires on 12/31) should just apply for it. I've read of some offers out there for 70K or 75K bonus. Also, something relatively nuanced about this card is the 1.5 pts for *all* spending abroad, where most points cards absent of the forex fee are only 1:1 on non-bonus category expenditures.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:01 am

yeah, I applied and got approved last night, however the only offer I had was a relatively-paltry 40K. (I previously opened one a couple of years ago). Still worth it though IMHO
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:10 am

In the "Asia Miles No Longer Expire" FAQ section of the Asia Miles website, there is a explanation on the difference between activity/transaction date and the crediting/debiting date. I wonder if this distinction now will eventually lead to the closing of the "loophole" that we can retroactively credit earned miles to a new membership year even though the flight was taken in the previous membership year?!

Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
In the "Asia Miles No Longer Expire" FAQ section of the Asia Miles website, there is a explanation on the difference between activity/transaction date and the crediting/debiting date. I wonder if this distinction now will eventually lead to the closing of the "loophole" that we can retroactively credit earned miles to a new membership year even though the flight was taken in the previous membership year?!

Don't see how this is any different from the current system and why MPO would be affected.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:49 am

Don't see how this is any different from the current system and why MPO would be affected.
All I am saying is that, before, I have not found anywhere in the Asia Miles T&C which explicitly defines activity/transaction and crediting/debiting dates. I'm just wondering whether there is any significance in Asia Miles making these definitions so explicit now, and whether this will have any future consequences in the current system.

Would Asia Miles change the T&C to base retroactive credits of sectors and miles on activity date regardless of crediting date, if we now have two explicitly-stated definitions in the FAQ.

Last edited by Fly Me To The Moon; Dec 12, 2019 at 5:55 am
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by Visconti
Yeah, anyone with a good offer (mine expires on 12/31) should just apply for it. I've read of some offers out there for 70K or 75K bonus. Also, something relatively nuanced about this card is the 1.5 pts for *all* spending abroad, where most points cards absent of the forex fee are only 1:1 on non-bonus category expenditures.
I'm veering off topic here but I've had this card from the beginning, when the bonus was something like 30K and I did use the card exclusively for international spending because of the 1.5x. But I moved on to the Capital One Spark Card for business since it's effectively 1.5x for Cathay Pacific on all foreign or domestic transactions and the bonus was 50K to start and up to 200K for meeting a certain spend threshold in the first 6 months. Yearly fee is the similar to the Synchrony card.

I'd hold off on the Synchrony CX card unless you got a really good offer. Now that asia miles are not expiring, maybe there be some good offers coming through next year to promote it.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:51 am

Are we sure this is not for blocks of 2000 AM? https://www.asiamiles.com/en/terms-a...vice-fees.html
Originally Posted by dannyhk

Is there clarity as to whether the US 40 renews the entire account's miles or just a small block?

Thank you.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jagmeets
One wonders why the change..Sure- a negative perspective, but perhaps, banks’ demand for card points tanked, inline with the public deeming asiamiles less valuable?
I don't believe it has anything to do with banks. CX has more bargaining power than banks given CX/KA's market share in Hong Kong. Beside - many transfer AM last minute before usage. So the 3-year expiration policy barely affect anyone.

Instead - I would like to believe that this is a financial skill to improve CX's market cap by increasing the valuation of CX Loyalty Programs.

Unfortunately, when an airline pushes some nice changes, it usually comes with some bad one. Let's see what that devaluation would be.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:44 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
//Beside - many transfer AM last minute before usage.

Only if you a) have no fixed bonus point expiries, b) your banks don't charge conversion fees, and c) you don't waitlist.

(a) and (b) are not true for many HK banks
(c) is not true for many users

Besides, banks here take a week on average to convert.

//So the 3-year expiration policy barely affect anyone.

You don't know how many casual members I deal with. I just recommended someone redeem PNS coupons to exit a 12k AM position

//Instead - I would like to believe that this is a financial skill to improve CX's market cap by increasing the valuation of CX Loyalty Programs.

Only if CX is contemplating a spin off of AM. Paying Paul involves Robbing Peter here so I don't see how this improves CX's valuation as a consolidated entity.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
I don't believe it has anything to do with banks. CX has more bargaining power than banks given CX/KA's market share in Hong Kong. Beside - many transfer AM last minute before usage. So the 3-year expiration policy barely affect anyone.

Instead - I would like to believe that this is a financial skill to improve CX's market cap by increasing the valuation of CX Loyalty Programs.

Unfortunately, when an airline pushes some nice changes, it usually comes with some bad one. Let's see what that devaluation would be.
The co-brand cards convert automatically every month. In fact, I'm pretty sure CX charges these banks less for buying AM, as miles converted from co-brand cards are more likely to expire and can't go anywhere else.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
The co-brand cards convert automatically every month.
ACAICT - there are only 2 cobrand partners - AMEX and SCB. But none of them provides the best reward structure.

I would rather get a DBS Black Card rather than the MPC/AM cobrand card.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by garykung
ACAICT - there are only 2 cobrand partners - AMEX and SCB. But none of them provides the best reward structure.

I would rather get a DBS Black Card rather than the MPC/AM cobrand card.
That may be the case for Hong Kong, but there are other CX co-brand cards in other countries and territories. I'm based in Taiwan and am very content with the Taishin co-brand card that gives me 1 mile per 5TWD (=6 miles per USD or 1 mile per 1.3HKD) on overseas off-line spending.

Btw, what does ACAICT mean?

Last edited by ernestnywang; Dec 14, 2019 at 12:10 am
Old Dec 15, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Is there clarity as to whether the US 40 renews the entire account's miles or just a small block?

Thank you.
Seems its $40 per block of 2000 AM.

https://www.asiamiles.com/en/account...new-miles.html
It’s easy to extend the validity of your expiring Asia Miles and keep your miles going.
Please note that your renewals must be made in blocks of 2,000 Asia Miles at USD40 (online form) or USD100 (other channels) per block.

When I use this facility online, it still informs me that my miles will expire on 31st Dec 2022.

Unless there is some other place where it can be done?
Old Dec 15, 2019, 5:53 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by jacobsleather
Seems its $40 per block of 2000 AM.

https://www.asiamiles.com/en/account...new-miles.html
Its easy to extend the validity of your expiring Asia Miles and keep your miles going.
Please note that your renewals must be made in blocks of 2,000 Asia Miles at USD40 (online form) or USD100 (other channels) per block.

When I use this facility online, it still informs me that my miles will expire on 31st Dec 2022.

Unless there is some other place where it can be done?
The new rules dont come into force until January so we cant know for certain using the online tools until then.
percysmith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.