Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Continuation of this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1581009-how-exactly-does-cx-waitlist-work-awards.html
Print Wikipost

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by kspeed88
Hi there,
We have waitlisted 3 HKG-SYD one way flights (hedging our bets) through Cathay Pacific using AsiaMiles for December 2019. We were expecting the waitlist to clear much nearer the time, giving us enough time to earn the necessary points. However we have just received notification that one of our waitlist flights has become available, and “to ensure your booking, please issue ticket before 22:00 Fri 29 Nov 2019”. Does this really mean we have almost a year to gather all the necessary points?! If so, that's ridiculously generous of them! Everything I had read online said you generally have 10days-ish to pay up but that doesn’t seem to be what notification is suggesting. Anyone have any experience or insight with this?
Many thanks in advance
Next time, also include a return flight in peak season so that not all the sectors in the booking are confirmed, which resulting in CX requires you to issue the ticket shortly. You can always cancel the return sector when you are about to issue the ticket.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
The 4pm sweeper is still very much alive:

It is the case only when all the sectors in your booking are confirmed. So, always include a return sector even you only need one way. Also, include more sectors when you first make the waitlist bookings. The best way is to add DAC HKG as the first sector and any busy flight like HKG JFK in F as the last sector.

They can’t ask you to issue the ticket when the outbound flights are confirmed. Otherwise, it makes you pay more fuel surcharge. Tickets originating from DAC are free from the recently added CX fuel surcharge for the whole ticket.

Just some experience to share.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:03 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Donkitravel
It is the case only when all the sectors in your booking are confirmed. So, always include a return sector even you only need one way.
Wrong. This was sent when one sector cleared when originally waitlisting for both sectors in return routing. AM have no hesitation asking members to redeem one-ways first and cancel later - cancellation fees is still revenue.

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 17, 2019 at 7:17 pm
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: Asia Miles
Hi all!
Just wanted to ask, planning to fly HKG SYD in April but I'll be placed on the waitlist for the flights that I want. Current plan is:

18/4 CX101 HKG SYD
27/4 CX100 SYD HKG

Curious to see if anyone knows if there's a high/low chance of me getting these tickets? It'd be nice to be able to book hotels and plan earlier, thanks in advance!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by kaumichan
It'd be nice to be able to book hotels and plan earlier
if you need that kind of certainty then look at other airlines or CX's revenue fares
CX is making use of redemptions impossible for holiday makers by making availability uncertain.
You can't even assume CX will release seats available seats hours before departure, because of new "Flying Air" ticket scalping policy.
Commuters like YVR uncle can still play with AM; however, he too is getting pretty threaders about unpredictible availability ("not even within two days like before?" "no.....")
sscywong likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:41 pm

Wrong. This was sent when one sector cleared when originally waitlisting for both sectors in return routing. AM have no hesitation asking members to redeem one-ways first and cancel later - cancellation fees is still revenue.
Interesting if this is the case. I never have this problem. Let me do some experiments and get back.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:55 pm

It’s worth for us to investigate the different practice. I note that the screen shots posted by you are quite different from what I received. For me, the sender’s name is Notification. The content does not contain any booking reference. The ticketing deadline never change. Perhaps my account is just an AM account and is a Hong Kong registered account. Will that be administrated by staff in different countries?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:59 pm

Email content like this:

Received: 2 December 2018

Notification<[email protected]>

Subject: Change of your booking status

Dear Wxxx,

Your booking on Business Class of CX691 (HKGSIN), 04Jul19 has been confirmed. Please check details on Manage Booking and issue ticket before 20/06/2019 22:00. Discover how we help you travel well at lifewelltravelled.cathaypacific.com

Last edited by Donkitravel; Jan 17, 2019 at 11:06 pm
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:10 pm

Email content like this:

Dear Wxxx,

Your booking on Business Class of CX691 (HKGSIN), 04Jul19 has been confirmed. Please check details on Manage Booking and issue ticket before 20/06/2019 22:00. Discover how we help you travel well at lifewelltravelled.cathaypacific.com
Your Change of your booking status email is equivalent to this https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...591d502081.jpg

Don't you get the Flight Confirmation email at 4pm, cutting your deadline to 12 December 2018 https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7ef583f5a0.jpg ?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:41 pm

Email content like this:

Dear Wxxx,

Sent: Tuesday, 25 September 2018 6:15 PM
To: [email protected]

Dear Mr SMITH,

Your booking on Premium Economy Class of CX270 (AMSHKG), 16Jul19 has been confirmed. Please check details on Manage Booking and issue ticket before 07/07/2019 18:00. Discover how we help you travel well at lifewelltravelled.cathaypacific.com

Sent: Wednesday, 26 September 2018 4:00 PM
Subject: Flight Confirmation

Dear Member,

We are pleased to let you know that CX270 (AMSHKG) on 16Jul19 has been confirmed in premium economy class under booking reference ABCDEF.

You can check your booking details on 'Manage Booking' at www.cathaypacific.com. Please contact our Service Centre through hotline or email before 06 Oct 2018 Hong Kong local time to have your tickets issued.

(This is an automated message - please do not reply to this email.)
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:56 pm

Sent: Tuesday, 25 September 2018 6:15 PM

Dear Mr SMITH,

Your booking on Premium Economy Class of CX270 (AMSHKG), 16Jul19 has been confirmed. Please check details on Manage Booking and issue ticket before 07/07/2019 18:00. Discover how we help you travel well at lifewelltravelled.cathaypacific.com

Sent: Wednesday, 26 September 2018 4:00 PM
Subject: Flight Confirmation

Dear Member,

We are pleased to let you know that CX270 (AMSHKG) on 16Jul19 has been confirmed in premium economy class under booking reference ABCDEF.

You can check your booking details on 'Manage Booking' at www.cathaypacific.com. Please contact our Service Centre through hotline or email before 06 Oct 2018 Hong Kong local time to have your tickets issued.

(This is an automated message - please do not reply to this email.)
I have never received email with subject “Flight confirmation”. The Notification emails do not have my title “Mr”, just like Dear SMITH only - impolite indeed. The deadline has never been shortened unless I answered their calls. I manage a number of accounts for my family, there is no difference before or after June.

We are not Marco Polo, such “attentive” care seems not apply to us. You may sign up some dummy accounts to test it out.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:58 pm

I'm a HK-resident, non-MPO AM member too. Great - I've been blackballed.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:37 am

Only when all the sectors are confirmed, they won't adjust your deadline. When all the sectors are confirmed, do not answer their calls. The deadline will be kept at 10 days before your first flight. That's my experience over the years.
AM must have read this too. They made instant rectifications against this loophole overnight:

Old online rule: 10 days from first departure for any uncleared sector

New online rule: 2 weeks from waitlist creation date for any cleared sector

And one month from first departure date for totally uncleared waitlists.

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 19, 2019 at 3:55 am
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:37 am

Another Asia Miles noob here would like some help with the question's below if you'd be so kind:

1) What happens if I waitlist an all points award today for this October, then the waitlist promptly clears before I have the points?

2) How close to departure date do I give up waitlisting for two people and move on?

Thank you kindly.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Lizie
1) What happens if I waitlist an all points award today for this October, then the waitlist promptly clears before I have the points?
From Thursday 17th, you can no longer waitlist unless you have >=70% of AM needed for your waitlist itineary https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...hancement.html

Originally Posted by Lizie
2) How close to departure date do I give up waitlisting for two people and move on?
Resolve (1) first.

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 20, 2019 at 11:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.