FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1948418-vietnam-us-mistake-fare-discussion-2019-cathay-new-years-gift.html)

AJ747M Jun 20, 2019 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by mster (Post 31221779)
Were you able to make changes into 2020 prior to flying your first segment?

I flew the original date I booked. However, if you were to change your first segment I believe the ticket validity would still be one year from the date of your original first segment.

w000t Jun 24, 2019 5:37 am

really impressed with CX. booked DAD-HKG-JFK and a separate Avios Y ticket on JFK-YVR for the same day. CX in DAD "found" my other ticket without needing me to show anything, checked me all the way through, moved my Y seat at the back of the bus to a bulkhead seat and even gave me F lounge access in JFK!! looks like this trip is off to a good start

mster Jul 2, 2019 12:31 am

Does anyone know the answer to the below question?

Originally Posted by mster (Post 31217605)
I booked via Orbitz in D class. I'm seeing tons of date availability when I attempt to change the flight on the Orbitz site, but when I attempt to pay the change fee / finalize the changes it always errors out.

Is it possible to use ITA Matrix to correctly identify D (or A) VN POS availability by entering your departure city (Hanoi, Dad, etc.) in the "Sales city" field?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bfa37e5584.png

__https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8be849ad56.png

Rizla Jul 5, 2019 2:15 am

I had booked 5 of these deals. Had to cancel 4 of them as I couldn't go! how annoying

nychk Jul 9, 2019 3:06 pm

cx ground staff in jfk

Did anyone flying return from JFK have ground staff check for a outbound ticket from Vietnam (on separate ticket to make sure you leave country within max days allowed on visa)? Didn't purchase one as I was planning on skipping the last leg from HKG to DAD, now wondering if I should have a refundable one just in case or tell them that I'll purchase one once landing in Vietnam.

db07mufan Jul 9, 2019 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by nychk (Post 31286543)
Did anyone flying return from JFK have ground staff check for a outbound ticket from Vietnam (on separate ticket to make sure you leave country within max days allowed on visa)? Didn't purchase one as I was planning on skipping the last leg from HKG to DAD, now wondering if I should have a refundable one just in case or tell them that I'll purchase one once landing in Vietnam.

I have not flown on these fare out of JFK but I’ve been asked to show in SFO and ORD. I would suggest getting one

Unionruler Jul 9, 2019 7:16 pm

Yes. They are supposed to check, if they don't they're not doing their job.

crazyanglaisy Jul 9, 2019 7:43 pm

I flew my one and only ticket last week, and they did check at JFK - both my Vietnam visa and subsequent flight to leave Da Nang. That was the main reason why I decided not to throw away the last leg and book a different flight home from HKG - I didn't want to have to book a fully refundable ticket from Vietnam to satisfy this requirement. Of course, they might have let me board if I had explained that I was not planning on taking the last flight, but not a risk I wanted to take.

QRC3288 Jul 9, 2019 7:53 pm

This is a huge thread, but IIRC somewhere upthread (or possibly a different thread?) someone was denied boarding in the US for not having it in place.

Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy (Post 31287304)
I flew my one and only ticket last week, and they did check at JFK - both my Vietnam visa and subsequent flight to leave Da Nang. That was the main reason why I decided not to throw away the last leg and book a different flight home from HKG - I didn't want to have to book a fully refundable ticket from Vietnam to satisfy this requirement. Of course, they might have let me board if I had explained that I was not planning on taking the last flight, but not a risk I wanted to take.

This corroborates what I've read upthread overall, that CX seems to be playing the mistake fare flyers by the book. They bit the bullet and aren't handing out extra favors.

Jackolee Jul 9, 2019 8:17 pm

For me, not this fare but J Vietnam-HKG-USA last year. Not JFK but LAX. The ground staff requested me to show her the ticket from Vietnam back to HK (I'm a HK resident). I've got one refundable by another airline based on previous experience and scrapped through! At the boarding gate, the staff again requested for the ticket, and they had to type that flight number into the system.

crazyanglaisy Jul 10, 2019 1:37 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 31287324)
This is a huge thread, but IIRC somewhere upthread (or possibly a different thread?) someone was denied boarding in the US for not having it in place.

This corroborates what I've read upthread overall, that CX seems to be playing the mistake fare flyers by the book. They bit the bullet and aren't handing out extra favors.

And quite right too.

brunos Jul 10, 2019 1:59 am

I don't think that this is specific to the VN mistake fare.
Airlines do carefully check that you meet VN immigration requirements when boarding overseas.

I believe that arguing that you are not going to use the last leg HKG-VN is not going to do the job.

Jackolee Jul 10, 2019 8:30 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 31288047)
I don't think that this is specific to the VN mistake fare.
Airlines do carefully check that you meet VN immigration requirements when boarding overseas.

I believe that arguing that you are not going to use the last leg HKG-VN is not going to do the job.

I think so too. As what I’ve said above, not this fare, LAX-HKG-Vietnam, still requested for the ticket twice. This is most likely a requirement when boarding in US.

pjh981 Jul 16, 2019 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Rizla (Post 31271276)
I had booked 5 of these deals. Had to cancel 4 of them as I couldn't go! how annoying

are the fares fully refundable or did you have to pay a cancellation charge?

cyster2007 Jul 16, 2019 1:44 am

Originally Posted by pjh981 (Post 31308205)
are the fares fully refundable or did you have to pay a cancellation charge?

Don’t think those mistake fare are fully refundable,
i think at least $200 USD cancellation fee