Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Time to Win: CX HKG Arrival Lounge Closing on 5 Nov 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to Win: CX HKG Arrival Lounge Closing on 5 Nov 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by 1010101
It's rubbish.
agreed overall...but that doesn't mean it was worthless

... or its an unjustifiable cost.
Not quite...the place was a dump, but having a shower was a nice option after landing long haul and heading to a meeting. At least that was its utility to me: a shower. I had no other use for it.

Is anyone really going to miss it? In all my years of flying through HKG i think i must have been in there about twice.
to each their own. i probably used it for this shower purpose 20-25 times in the 10 or so years it was open. My usage my not be a lot on a per year basis (nor on a per flight basis...I probably land at HKG 40-50 times a year), but it adds up and the optionality is nice.

Anyway, I agree with your sentiments but not your conclusion. It really went downhill when they opened it up to all J pax, and simultaneously poured on long-haul capacity, especially early morning arrivals. Waiting in line 60 minutes for a shower muted the whole point of it to me. (2 weeks ago at 6am I was told 90 minute wait...lol!). With all that wasted space spent on the half-arsed F&B and computers, I felt they should've just turned it into a shower spa instead of an "arrival lounge", with 8-12 shower units only instead of the current 5. That could've alleviated shower demand.

Maybe everyone has different demands. But I feel like a shower is somewhat unique? No matter having access to a shower at home and the office, I still can't control if I have a breakfast meeting or somewhere that doesn't. Overall I don't find EK's showers super useful, but this is the one case I do: they're basically my substitute for an arrival lounge if I want to freshen up.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:22 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Wow. Not that I used it often, being a HK resident, but when you needed it, it was good.

How busy is the Plaza Premium arrivals lounge? I wonder if they will expand into that space if they are busy.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Anyway, I agree with your sentiments but not your conclusion. It really went downhill when they opened it up to all J pax, and simultaneously poured on long-haul capacity, especially early morning arrivals. Waiting in line 60 minutes for a shower muted the whole point of it to me. (2 weeks ago at 6am I was told 90 minute wait...lol!). With all that wasted space spent on the half-arsed F&B and computers, I felt they should've just turned it into a shower spa instead of an "arrival lounge", with 8-12 shower units only instead of the current 5. That could've alleviated shower demand.
There are definitely more than 5 shower units and they're the nicest part of the lounge lol. The fact that you had to wait so long suggests that many people do use it and find utility. I agree with you that it's not the nicest lounge, but it is still useful. If CX made it any nicer, people would want to spend too long there.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:39 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Statement from Cathay:

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/10/23/...vember-5-2018/

Cathay Pacific’s The Arrival lounge at Hong Kong International Airport will close on 5 November 2018. The premises will be returned to the lessor as part of the terminal redevelopment.

While options for an alternative location are limited and not suitable, we will continue to explore new ways and partnerships that enhance our product and service offerings and which makes Marco Polo Club membership more rewarding.

Other highly-acclaimed Cathay Pacific lounges at Hong Kong International Airport – including The Bridge, The Deck, The Pier, First and Business, The Wing, First and Business – will continue to provide customers with a premium and exclusive ground experience.
So they will be closing Terminal 2 at some stage once the Terminal 1 extensions are complete. This would indicate that the Plaza Premium arrivals lounge will close at some stage too.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: MPC
what am i gonna do when i arrive at hk airport early morning before the train starts running!?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:34 am

Since the construction of the third runway system, the Terminal 2 will be closed at the end of 2019, and 'expanded' to a new terminal. The Arrival Lounge seems to be the victim.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:58 am

That's terrible... it will change my whole routine, I'll fly in on Sunday nights now instead of Monday mornings. It was small and crowded but where else will I get a shower and get my shirt ironed?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I miss my day storage place ....
timesnaps and jerrywu like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:10 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
That's terrible... it will change my whole routine, I'll fly in on Sunday nights now instead of Monday mornings. It was small and crowded but where else will I get a shower and get my shirt ironed?
Well the shower is free in the arrivals area before immigration. Gets good review, but you need some sort of towel.
https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/p...wer-facilities

For ironing, bring a fresh shirt, or learn how to pack them?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
most hotels allow you to use their health center anyways. the only time i ever used arrivals is when i did a red eye MR turn around, arrived at 5am and had to be at work by 630 or so.

i would suspect CX to team up with regal hotel to offer their spa/gym facility for freshup and get free refreshment there. they know noone will use it anyways
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Waiting in line 60 minutes for a shower muted the whole point of it to me. (2 weeks ago at 6am I was told 90 minute wait...lol!).
This is the crux of it for me. It was always so busy that if i had to go to the office straight from a flight it was easier to either go home first, or go to the showers in the gym next to my office. An arrivals lounge is a great thing but the CX one was never fit for purpose.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
This is wishful thinking I know but I really wish cx can take over one of the restaurants in the arrival hall and turn it into a proper lounge...
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
There are definitely more than 5 shower units and they're the nicest part of the lounge lol. The fact that you had to wait so long suggests that many people do use it and find utility. I agree with you that it's not the nicest lounge, but it is still useful. If CX made it any nicer, people would want to spend too long there.
I thought is 5 or 6 and same if not more than the number at PP arrival. I visited twice and both involved a shower.

Originally Posted by razza1889
what am i gonna do when i arrive at hk airport early morning before the train starts running!?
That's 5:54am and 1 hour after the first possible arrival; Cathay Cafe de Coral at departure landside should be 24-hr for refreshment needs.

Originally Posted by christep
Well the shower is free in the arrivals area before immigration. Gets good review, but you need some sort of towel.
https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/p...wer-facilities

For ironing, bring a fresh shirt, or learn how to pack them?
I had a look of it, think it's like shower room at sports centers, smaller than Arrivals for sure, and you can buy towel ($30), razor and shaving cream ($10) etc from a vending machine that takes credit card. But it's before immigration and that means your changing set of clothes must be in carry-on.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
So disappointing. I used this on arrivals from the US while I waited for my hotel check-in to open. FWIW, the Plaza Premium across the way DOES offer arrival passengers access (with Priority Pass membership). I, for one, will miss The Arrival lounge and hope that Cathay opens a new, better version SOON.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
+1 that CX should've removed all the food and whatnot and just packed as many shower suites as they could into that space. Maybe keep a small coffee station.

Every time I've tried to use it, the line has been absurd and I've just gone to the PPL lounge instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.