Wiki Posts
Search

Typhoon Mangkhut 16 Sept 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Now the problem is my Travel Insurance refused my claim for the lost hotel night in shanghai and my pre-paid tour because CX didn't cancel the flight I was originally booked in. That like $500 down the drain not to mention a forfeited Fairmont Suite Upgrade certificate (not sure how to value that).
can u/hv u spoken w fairmont to reverse that?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Now the problem is my Travel Insurance refused my claim for the lost hotel night in shanghai and my pre-paid tour because CX didn't cancel the flight I was originally booked in. That like $500 down the drain not to mention a forfeited Fairmont Suite Upgrade certificate (not sure how to value that).
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by kaka

Will try, but then again how can CX issue a flight certificate if the flights departed as schedule?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Will try, but then again how can CX issue a flight certificate if the flights departed as schedule?
If you stay was at the Peace hotel, they are in my experience very nice to re-accomadate you if you miss your flight for instance, they won't refund you but they will allow you to use the night you missed as an extra night at the end of your stay or use it later on (as long you get in touch before the night is suppose to take place)
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by pvgman
If you stay was at the Peace hotel, they are in my experience very nice to re-accomadate you if you miss your flight for instance, they won't refund you but they will allow you to use the night you missed as an extra night at the end of your stay or use it later on (as long you get in touch before the night is suppose to take place)
I cancelled it online at 4pm since it was when CX finalized my new ticket. I will try to send them an email.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:41 am
Suspended

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...rtificate.html

at delay u can select other flights.
so u were delayed n put on another airline flight.
prob best option?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by kaka

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...rtificate.html

at delay u can select other flights.
so u were delayed n put on another airline flight.
prob best option?
I did request. CX said the processing would take 2-3 weeks. just have to see what they will say.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:59 pm

I just received my flight certificate but all it said is "This passenger rescheduled to travel on PR336 on 16 September." Which I think should at least say "We rescheduled this passenger involuntarily..." The first statement comes across that it was my choice to be rescheduled which is totally false.

I also received an email from CRD (I really should stop sending them complaints....) saying in not so many words that it si my fault because I accepted their flight protection for the 16th.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I just received my flight certificate but all it said is "This passenger rescheduled to travel on PR336 on 16 September." Which I think should at least say "We rescheduled this passenger involuntarily..." The first statement comes across that it was my choice to be rescheduled which is totally false.

I also received an email from CRD (I really should stop sending them complaints....) saying in not so many words that it si my fault because I accepted their flight protection for the 16th.
Reading the posts, It seems like CX pretty well describes the situation.
CX went the extra miles to protect you in case their flight was cancelled, probably due to your DM status. Actually you even required a routing different (PR not MU) than what they initially proposed, and the they agreed without fee.
Any such protection is just that: a protection. You have to OK it, even if CX had already a firm option on the new booking in case you wanted it (basically you hold two different bookings). Only then do they reissue the ticket.
It turns out that your CX flight never got cancelled. But it was your decision to reroute, not theirs.
But maybe I missed something
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brunos
CX went the extra miles to protect you in case their flight was cancelled, probably due to your DM status. Actually you even required a routing different (PR not MU) than what they initially proposed, and the they agreed without fee.
Any such protection is just that: a protection. You have to OK it, even if CX had already a firm option on the new booking in case you wanted it (basically you hold two different bookings). Only then do they reissue the ticket.
It turns out that your CX flight never got cancelled. But it was your decision to reroute, not theirs.
go back a step and remember he was denied the cx flight, no matter hes forced it on mu or pr. he had contract with cx, not mu nor pr.

look for executives and directors. the english csr are terrible these days.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:46 am

I actually managed to get the team in Manila to reinstate the original booking because according to both the airport and town office the flights will depart as schedule as of that morning.

We managed to get that fixed but after lunch time the team in HK decided to put me back on MU again. This time I didn't bother to call up the guys in the town office and instead went directly to the reservations team in HK. They refused to put me on PR/MU on the 15th because the flights are already full (PR still had 1 in full fare J as it was bookable through their website at that time). Telling me the only option is the 16th.

I think what they should have done is to keep both bookings, on CX on the 15th and PR on the 16th in case the 15th gets cancelled. The problem is the 15th wasn't cancelled and I got moved to the 16th for nothing.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually managed to get the team in Manila to reinstate the original booking because according to both the airport and town office the flights will depart as schedule as of that morning.

We managed to get that fixed but after lunch time the team in HK decided to put me back on MU again. This time I didn't bother to call up the guys in the town office and instead went directly to the reservations team in HK. They refused to put me on PR/MU on the 15th because the flights are already full (PR still had 1 in full fare J as it was bookable through their website at that time). Telling me the only option is the 16th.

I think what they should have done is to keep both bookings, on CX on the 15th and PR on the 16th in case the 15th gets cancelled. The problem is the 15th wasn't cancelled and I got moved to the 16th for nothing.
It might have been a matter of communication, possibly language.
In my long flying life, I have been "protected" a few times.
I don't think that they would ever change you to a different day and different airline without asking your confirmation.
It could be a matter of what appears on MMB screen. It could be that only the last booking appears (e.g. MU).
But I would bet that you were not kicked out of your CX 15 flight when they protected you. Their automatic system just generate that MU protection, and did it twice, but they did not cancel your original booking on CX as the flight was not cancelled. I think that's where you are mistaken.And the option to choose.remained as long as the ticket is not reissued.
However, when you told them that you wanted instead to fly PR on the 16th, then they confirmed the option and reissued to PR flight.

That's my guess. But I assume that they never said that the CX flight was cancelled, just that they offered a protection. You chose not to go on the 15/9 CX flight (or take the risk that it be cancelled and you might be stranded for long). That is your decision.and I don't see how they could say anything different than what you quote from CX..
Old Sep 29, 2018, 12:57 am

It might have been a matter of communication, possibly language.
In my long flying life, I have been "protected" a few times.
I don't think that they would ever change you to a different day and different airline without asking your confirmation.
It could be a matter of what appears on MMB screen. It could be that only the last booking appears (e.g. MU).
But I would bet that you were not kicked out of your CX 15 flight when they protected you. Their automatic system just generate that MU protection, and did it twice, but they did not cancel your original booking on CX as the flight was not cancelled. I think that's where you are mistaken.And the option to choose.remained as long as the ticket is not reissued.
However, when you told them that you wanted instead to fly PR on the 16th, then they confirmed the option and reissued to PR flight.

That's my guess. But I assume that they never said that the CX flight was cancelled, just that they offered a protection. You chose not to go on the 15/9 CX flight (or take the risk that it be cancelled and you might be stranded for long). That is your decision.and I don't see how they could say anything different than what you quote from CX..
That’s the problem my MMB doesn’t show my CX flights anymore. They CX Reservations team in HK said, because of the approaching typhoon, they decided to move me to the next available direct flight. Since both MU and PR are full on the 15th they booked me on the 16th. I didn’t need to confirm or accept anything. They even changed it back to the 16th even after it was moved back to the original schedule by the team in Manila.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That’s the problem my MMB doesn’t show my CX flights anymore. They CX Reservations team in HK said, because of the approaching typhoon, they decided to move me to the next available direct flight. Since both MU and PR are full on the 15th they booked me on the 16th. I didn’t need to confirm or accept anything. They even changed it back to the 16th even after it was moved back to the original schedule by the team in Manila.
I feel sorry for you, but I was just trying to explain why there was apparently a communication or misunderstanding problem about "protection".
In your initial post your clearly state:
"Traveling to PVG tomorrow (15th), CX proactively sent and email informing me that they will protect me on a partner airline".
"Protecting" you for your Sep 15 flight with booking another flight on Sep 16 in case the original flight is cancelled, is different from moving you to that flight and cancelling the original one. They never advised you that the original flight was cancelled.
Anyway, your loss was a Saturday night in Shanghai (which you would have paid anyway), so not a great monetary inconvenience. And you got the pleasure to trade for a nonstop with great J seat.
Again, I uderstand your frustration.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:00 am

I feel sorry for you, but I was just trying to explain why there was apparently a communication or misunderstanding problem about "protection".
In your initial post your clearly state:
"Traveling to PVG tomorrow (15th), CX proactively sent and email informing me that they will protect me on a partner airline".
"Protecting" you for your Sep 15 flight with booking another flight on Sep 16 in case the original flight is cancelled, is different from moving you to that flight and cancelling the original one. They never advised you that the original flight was cancelled.
I received the generic email with no details in the morning, when I checked MMB via the app on my way to work I found I was placed on MU. I then placed a call to the office in Manila and they said PR is full on the 15th but they can reinstate my booking. This was around 9am, I checked my MMB again at 1:30pm and found I was back on MU on the 16th. Placed a call to HK, was only given an option of taking PR or MU on the 16th.

Anyway, your loss was a Saturday night in Shanghai (which you would have paid anyway), so not a great monetary inconvenience. And you got the pleasure to trade for a nonstop with great J seat.
Again, I uderstand your frustration.
USD500 is no small amount, I am not sure how you could say it’s not a great monetary in convenience. By the way CX refuses to accept any responsibility over this because they said I agreed to the protection. It’s like blaming a robbery victim for giving in when he had a gun to his head.
kaka likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.