FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Typhoon Mangkhut 16 Sept 2018
View Single Post
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:53 am
brunos
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I actually managed to get the team in Manila to reinstate the original booking because according to both the airport and town office the flights will depart as schedule as of that morning.

We managed to get that fixed but after lunch time the team in HK decided to put me back on MU again. This time I didn't bother to call up the guys in the town office and instead went directly to the reservations team in HK. They refused to put me on PR/MU on the 15th because the flights are already full (PR still had 1 in full fare J as it was bookable through their website at that time). Telling me the only option is the 16th.

I think what they should have done is to keep both bookings, on CX on the 15th and PR on the 16th in case the 15th gets cancelled. The problem is the 15th wasn't cancelled and I got moved to the 16th for nothing.
It might have been a matter of communication, possibly language.
In my long flying life, I have been "protected" a few times.
I don't think that they would ever change you to a different day and different airline without asking your confirmation.
It could be a matter of what appears on MMB screen. It could be that only the last booking appears (e.g. MU).
But I would bet that you were not kicked out of your CX 15 flight when they protected you. Their automatic system just generate that MU protection, and did it twice, but they did not cancel your original booking on CX as the flight was not cancelled. I think that's where you are mistaken.And the option to choose.remained as long as the ticket is not reissued.
However, when you told them that you wanted instead to fly PR on the 16th, then they confirmed the option and reissued to PR flight.

That's my guess. But I assume that they never said that the CX flight was cancelled, just that they offered a protection. You chose not to go on the 15/9 CX flight (or take the risk that it be cancelled and you might be stranded for long). That is your decision.and I don't see how they could say anything different than what you quote from CX..