Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:51 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by clubeurope
+1!

Dine on Demand is somewhat overrated in my opinion, and sometimes are downright confusing. We all only need tasty food.
Tasty/better food costs more

Dine on demand and its variants only require staff to work harder (since they're not putting in more crew for this)
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:58 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I have deleted some off topic posts not related to the new business class service.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:35 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Have been busy but yes, tentative first flight is now scheduled for Jul 30th for ORD, and not until late August for LGW.
there will be a surprise proving trial flight again this week - 38 lucky pax headed for Paris will have the chance to try it out as FAU is still not confident about the new service for 35G day flights.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: CX, Hyatt
Spoke with an FA who went to the 2 day training recently. More variety including some SEA options. She said she tried them and taste only slightly improved if any. As already mentioned above it was mostly presentational, plating, "more interaction", full vs express breakfast (2 vs 1 hr prep). Slight warning to 77H pax on service speed during initial rollout given long cabin of 50+ seats
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:24 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by PacificSunrise
Slight warning to 77H pax on service speed during initial rollout given long cabin of 50+ seats
That's what I mean. Since CX isn't spending more on food or adding extra manpower, any DoD/Restaurant Style will simply mean we wait more for our food.

On a flight that I am trying to maximise rest like CX138 this is still value detrimental to me.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by PacificSunrise
Slight warning to 77H pax on service speed during initial rollout given long cabin of 50+ seats
I think this will become harder once they use the 35G and 35J because of the limited space at the Dr1 service center.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I think this will become harder once they use the 35G and 35J because of the limited space at the Dr1 service center.
haha try DR2 galley with the window ledge width counter tops

I can already picture plate drops, glassware shattering, crew coming out saying 'sorry, we've dropped your dish, would you like to try xyz instead'

then some pax decides to cross the crowded galley or asking where their food is...more butts touching, more plates shattering

Then the cockpit calls out 'we want our meals now if you don't mind'

no one's getting anything before half the crew is off to their mandatory rest (~2.5 hrs post departure)

then there's 2/3 crew left (if ISM decides to actually be useful) serving the whole JCL cabin, unless the 3 YCL crew volunteer to help, which they are not meant to, and some new recruits aren't JCL trained. but then the question becomes who's watching YCL?

welcome aboard Cathay Pacific...where our bottom line and managements' bonus comes first
FlyPointyEnd, royng and jerrywu like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jckl
haha try DR2 galley with the window ledge width counter tops

I can already picture plate drops, glassware shattering, crew coming out saying 'sorry, we've dropped your dish, would you like to try xyz instead'

then some pax decides to cross the crowded galley or asking where their food is...more butts touching, more plates shattering

Then the cockpit calls out 'we want our meals now if you don't mind'

no one's getting anything before half the crew is off to their mandatory rest (~2.5 hrs post departure)

then there's 2/3 crew left (if ISM decides to actually be useful) serving the whole JCL cabin, unless the 3 YCL crew volunteer to help, which they are not meant to, and some new recruits aren't JCL trained. but then the question becomes who's watching YCL?

welcome aboard Cathay Pacific...where our bottom line and managements' bonus comes first
But JCL only uses Dr1 galley...
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
But JCL only uses Dr1 galley...
true...dr2 is for Y/PEY storage atm, hence the mid flight trolley swaps and mid service traffic

but with the increased number of service ware (plates and food are now seperate) and unstructured new JCL service, one could imagine dr2 will have to be used for JCL service as well

can't picture how can 2 crew plating food and the other 3 (ISM incl.) hovering around them 2 in the tiny space that is dr1 galley

or some service items have to be taken from dr2 to dr1 just to be plated then served, that will cause a lot of foot traffic

5 people in the already crowded galley with unhelpful cockpit crew who decides to come chat and pax crossing the galley is a disaster waiting to happen if they decide to limit JCL prep to dr1
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Originally Posted by jckl

true...dr2 is for Y/PEY storage atm, hence the mid flight trolley swaps and mid service traffic

but with the increased number of service ware (plates and food are now seperate) and unstructured new JCL service, one could imagine dr2 will have to be used for JCL service as well

can't picture how can 2 crew plating food and the other 3 (ISM incl.) hovering around them 2 in the tiny space that is dr1 galley

or some service items have to be taken from dr2 to dr1 just to be plated then served, that will cause a lot of foot traffic

5 people in the already crowded galley with unhelpful cockpit crew who decides to come chat and pax crossing the galley is a disaster waiting to happen if they decide to limit JCL prep to dr1
You make very good points and I had exactly the experiences you outline above in the J galley on a short haul last night; its just too crowded. As QRC3288 has also pointed out in detail elsewhere, the 350 layout leaves a lot to be desired. I really hope CX can learn and improve instead of doubling down, particularly as it seems the 350 is going to be the backbone of the fleet going forward.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: Cathay Pacific Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic
Not sure "Dine on Demand" is an answer for anything at all.
CX is in "profit enhancement mode", not in "customer experience improvement mode". Expectations should be minimized with regard to improvement of their food offerings. Expectations for improvement in plating and service would fall into the category of completely unlikely. They are just not in that mindset anymore and until they either spin off or sell CX will not pull out of this seemingly endless decline.
royng likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by dkracing
Not sure "Dine on Demand" is an answer for anything at all.
CX is in "profit enhancement mode", not in "customer experience improvement mode". Expectations should be minimized with regard to improvement of their food offerings. Expectations for improvement in plating and service would fall into the category of completely unlikely. They are just not in that mindset anymore and until they either spin off or sell CX will not pull out of this seemingly endless decline.
idk , the CX cusotmer experience is a lot better than what it was in 2011
and way better than 2007-08

only 2003-05 was better...

plus not sure how "profit enhancement mode" results in world beating lounges like THE PIER.....

some people are never pleased
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by sxc
I have deleted some off topic posts not related to the new business class service.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
this is code for any comment that defends CX and puts them in a positive light....

funny how the CZ comment did not get deleted
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:45 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Kachjc
this is code for any comment that defends CX and puts them in a positive light....

funny how the CZ comment did not get deleted
Actually the comments that were deleted were talking about how CX is worse than Chinese airlines.

Regardless, discussion of moderator actions is against FlyerTalk rules.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
jagmeets and clubeurope like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Seems like there's media event showcasing the new menu and food - https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...pt-will-offer/

Menu -
Food -

I am quite impressed with the presentation and the variety of options available!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.