Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Disappointed aircraft changed from lie flat bed to angle seat!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed aircraft changed from lie flat bed to angle seat!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by tuhao888
Boo hoo, oh no, your aircraft got swapped!

OP, you know how you can guarantee no swapping of your aircraft and have different seats and musical chairs every time? Get your own plane! It certainly works for me!
The OP is clearly unfamiliar a newcomer to CX, at least on regional flights. Is the arrogance really necessary?

Welcome to Flyertalk, btw
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
To prevent such angst CX should just put the seat maps as regional (instead of LH).

And if you get LH product, you are in luck and people will be happier (I guess people who select bassinet or emergency or bulkseat will need to continue to check!)

What happens behind scene and inventory management, we do not need to know.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288

Of course, presumably all pax on the OPs flight were screwed....but I don't think it changes my feeling. If you burned 10k Avios or whatever it is, that's definitely a "steal" in J class on this sector. You can easily pay $2k USD round trip. You just move on.
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Well, the OP is the one moaning and he/she paid Avios, which is AFAIK the hands down cheapest way to book that seat. That's kinda my point. I don't have too much sympathy here given what a great deal those Avios J fares are anyway. And I'd say the OP still got a good deal even with the angled seat. Where it sucks is if you're paying real money and get the swap.
Originally Posted by percysmith
20k Avios HKG-SIN one-way but point taken - that is still the fare for a regional J, non-lie flat seat.

I did suggest CX sell long-haul J on regional routes as First to avoid any expectations shortfall https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ling-idea.html
It is actually expensive to redeem CX regional J. Avios 2x the cost of an economy ticket (J HKG-SIN is definitely not 2x the value of Y)? I cringe when I have to pay those prices.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat

OP, you know how you can guarantee no swapping of your aircraft and have different seats and musical chairs every time? Get your own plane! It certainly works for me!
Fortunately, it's not a coat with a wrinkle.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:23 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ermen
It is actually expensive to redeem CX regional J. Avios 2x the cost of an economy ticket (J HKG-SIN is definitely not 2x the value of Y)? I cringe when I have to pay those prices.
erm, i think it is and many people are paying for it. it's a good 4 hour flight afterall.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by ermen
Value in monetary term? If so, then J def worths multiple x than Y. I fly HKG-SIN monthly... roundtrip J is consistently priced at around $17k HKD (all year round ex-HKG fare, excluding special promotion such as the premium bundle deal recently) whilst a cheapo roundtrip Y is around $2k, even cheaper if fanfare!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
Value in monetary term? If so, then J def worths multiple x than Y. I fly HKG-SIN monthly... roundtrip J is consistently priced at around $17k HKD (all year round ex-HKG fare, excluding special promotion such as the premium bundle deal recently) whilst a cheapo roundtrip Y is around $2k, even cheaper if fanfare!
Price does not equate to value, but of course it differs in everyone's book. Instead of "value" I should have said utility

Rather be in emergency Y with a free seat beside (even if none that is ok) than pay double/triple in miles or cash. Dont lose out much on F&B nor seat space in that config.

But of course I guess some people do pay US$2K to fly CX HKG-SIN return in regional J so they should see some value there lol.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I really don't understand why SQ can guarantee plane types for short hauls (say SIN-HKG) but CX cannot? Is it really that hard for CX to do? I mean SQ also has schedules with long haul flights so it is not like the scheduling issue is a CX only issue.....
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
i think it's just got to do with utilization. guaranteeing makes utilization lower.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
I really don't understand why SQ can guarantee plane types for short hauls (say SIN-HKG) but CX cannot? Is it really that hard for CX to do? I mean SQ also has schedules with long haul flights so it is not like the scheduling issue is a CX only issue.....
I would pick SQ regional over CX regional right now in J given that SQ's 'regional' was previously their LH product before flatbeds were introduced. CX 'new' regional J is one of the worst cabin updates because it didn't take into account utilization during redeye flights and comfort of recline.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
I would pick SQ regional over CX regional right now in J given that SQ's 'regional' was previously their LH product before flatbeds were introduced. CX 'new' regional J is one of the worst cabin updates because it didn't take into account utilization during redeye flights and comfort of recline.
SQ’s regional J was never their old long-haul product. It’s always been a 2-2-2 angled flat product on the 772/773/333 which are still very much in service today.

SQ knows HKG is a premium market, which is why they deploy their aircraft with long-haul products, both old and new. That said, you’ll still get one or two flights a day without the long-haul product, but those are planned in advance and aren’t equipment swaps, making them quite easy to avoid if you so choose.

OTOH, their regional products are used on 6-8 hour redeyes around Asia-Pacific. With CX you generally won’t have to worry about getting regional J on flights of such duration.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:49 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
roundtrip J is consistently priced at around $17k HKD
Who pays that? If more passengers pay a bundle fare/Avios/AM to get on regional J than $17k fare passengers, CX needn't bother trying to keep up happy with guarantees and other trappings?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Who pays that? If more passengers pay a bundle fare/Avios/AM to get on regional J than $17k fare passengers, CX needn't bother trying to keep up happy with guarantees and other trappings?
suspect the corporate rate is c.hkd8-9k. doubt many pay full rack rate...
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
It's a BA award ticket, according to OP.
I recently booked a Cathay Pacific regional flight using BA Avios - it was in A350 J. Both regional J and long haul J require the same Avios, and cash prices for both are the same. So I see it as booking regional J and getting long haul J as a nice bonus.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: pleb

Why didn't you get your own plane then instead of flying with CX who put a wrinkle in your coat? Boohoohoo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.