Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Long haul sold as regional class selling idea

Old Jan 22, 17, 7:48 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Depends

(I might get banned for this)

I wonder if in spirit of KA selling Cirrus as First, and Qatar doing the same, would we see things as less deceptive if when a long-haul plane flies a regional route the seats are sold in the following way:

Long-haul Premium Economy as Business
Long-haul Business as First
Long-haul First seats will not be separately sold but sold as new regional First but filled with elites

If they failed to fill sell enough seats in the new classes (e.g. the new regional First seats can't be sold) they can cannibalise the seats and sell it at the lower travel class, and upgrade the overflow by CIV into the next class

Redemptions will also be at the new classes i.e. Economy/Busienss/First, no more Premium Economy

They've gotta stop using the Cirrus seat as advertisements for Business on regional flights tho.

Does anyone prefer this to the current equipment lottery?
Old Jan 22, 17, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

(so the long-haul planes will be sold as:

77G: 32 J seats and 40 F
77H: 34 J seats and 59 F (53+6)
33E: 39 F seats and 0 J (I suppose you can make every F seat available as a high-bucket cannibalised J seat...)
33K: 21 J seats and 39 F
35G: 28 J seats and 38 F)

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 4, 17 at 4:13 am
Old Jan 22, 17, 8:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA ExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Starriott Gold, GE
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
(so the long-haul planes will be sold as:

77G: 32 J seats and 40 F
77H: 34 J seats and 59 F (53+6)
33E: 39 F seats and 0 F (I suppose you can make every F seat available as a high-bucket cannibalised J seat...)
33K: 21 J seats and 39 F
35G: 28 J seats and 38 F)
Assuming that the 'J' class keeps meal services of its current state, it's unlikely that there will be enough galley space (and manpower) for so many meals/plating to serve...
Old Jan 22, 17, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-CIVC View Post
Assuming that the 'J' class keeps meal services of its current state, it's unlikely that there will be enough galley space (and manpower) for so many meals/plating to serve...
That's simple, Enhance the regional F meal to the current state of J, and J to Y plus a J main.

After all if you're on AA dom F/CE you do not expect the same service as AA international F/CW right?

The real Enhancement is unleashing the regional "F" pax into Wing F/Pier F...that's the part where I expect to have voodoo pins stuck into me by some of you tonight.
Old Jan 23, 17, 3:27 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Let's use your logic and plug in some numbers using SIN>>>HKG return as a reference.

PE in E Class is going for <1K SGD
J in I Class is going for <2K SGD.

Where would you place the price point for "enhanced" regional F?

Also, this makes F lose its exclusivity as now you have a disproportionate front cabin
Old Jan 23, 17, 3:36 am

A solution for a problem that does not exist...?
Old Jan 23, 17, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy View Post
Let's use your logic and plug in some numbers using SIN>>>HKG return as a reference.

PE in E Class is going for <1K SGD
J in I Class is going for <2K SGD.

Where would you place the price point for "enhanced" regional F?

Also, this makes F lose its exclusivity as now you have a disproportionate front cabin
Min 2K
Should get a 10% rise at least for Flounge

The upper limit of the pricing is the part where things get interesting. Literally the sky's the limit.
Old Jan 23, 17, 5:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX GR, AS MVP GLD
I don't think this would work out very well. First, the amount of F seats available is outrageous. Consider that there used to be only 6 seats available for each of the 33 77H, but now you have 40-50 F for one flight. That could cause overcrowding to the F lounges and check-in. And considering F lounge is not available to a lot of CX regional destinations, how much extra people would pay for F is really hard to say.
Old Jan 23, 17, 5:17 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
KA is taking care 80% of regional service for KA/CX, the routes CX keeping are the ones require true F experience. CX is very different to QR.
Old Jan 23, 17, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shd9 View Post
First, the amount of F seats available is outrageous. Consider that there used to be only 6 seats available for each of the 33 77H, but now you have 40-50 F for one flight. That could cause overcrowding to the F lounges and check-in.
It's the equivalent of 10-abreast for the 1%. Why wouldn't Ivanchu inflict it? Yield uber alles.

Originally Posted by shd9 View Post
And considering F lounge is not available to a lot of CX regional destinations, how much extra people would pay for F is really hard to say.
Actually I expect a lot of cannibalisation.

That's good for CX - more price differentiation, and targeted rewarding of elites.

The new regional F guy didn't pay for the product because he wanted to be treated like a king for <four hours, he's either a. not paying for it himself and/or b. have no choice about it because of schedule.

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 23, 17 at 5:33 am
Old Jan 23, 17, 6:52 am
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Silver, BAEC Gold (OWE), Hyatt
There are a lot of corporate policies that prohibit F class travel. To turn what is currently J into F is cutting off a lot of inventory that can be otherwise sold under corporate travel policies.
Old Jan 23, 17, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD
Maybe I'm a step slow today, but I'm failing to see the rationale behind this "realignment." Anyone care to offer an explanation?
Old Jan 23, 17, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc View Post
There are a lot of corporate policies that prohibit F class travel. To turn what is currently J into F is cutting off a lot of inventory that can be otherwise sold under corporate travel policies.
I'm very certain a lot of new regional F seats will have to be cannibalised as J inventory

But I picture one scenario under what you said - imagine a super tight situation say PVG-HKG for tomorrow (Tuesday) or day after (Wednesday) from PVG to here - there is a potential to make surge pricing profit by selling remaining seats as F and F only.

I here what you say about corporate policies - I have it too - but at the bottom of line it does say "exceptions [that staff below the C suite should not travel F] can be granted under certain circumstances by the [managing director]". I'm sure if staff do have to travel last minute, the exception will be sought (compared to stranding staff unproductively).

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 23, 17 at 8:19 am
Old Jan 23, 17, 8:14 am

Programs: CX DM
I think the flaw here is long haul w seat sold as regional j
although the "new regional" seat is not a perfect product, the current w seat, even the 359's w seat is no way call business class in every respects,
If the aircraft can done an overhaul then transfer some j seat and w to regional business seat is essential and i dont think cx willing to do this nor it is practical?
Old Jan 23, 17, 8:28 am

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Percysmith is the newest troll here
since i have spoken with him re his idea already and dont find anything meaningful to add, i'll just say it shall clog up the f lounge unnecessarily.

Search this Thread