Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Disappointed aircraft changed from lie flat bed to angle seat!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed aircraft changed from lie flat bed to angle seat!

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by YVR_Traveller
Does anyone know if HKG -> TPE has frequent equipment swaps? I specifically avoided the recliners and booked a nice afternoon flight on a 33K with LH config but reading this thread, I'm a bit scared on an equipment swap. Any info regarding this route would be helpful, thanks.
From past experience this route does have a lot of equipment changes. Roll of the dice...
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Does anyone know if HKG -> TPE has frequent equipment swaps? I specifically avoided the recliners and booked a nice afternoon flight on a 33K with LH config but reading this thread, I'm a bit scared on an equipment swap. Any info regarding this route would be helpful, thanks.
HKG-TPE is probably the “flagship route” when it comes to swaps...
Old May 31, 2018, 6:04 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SilverChris

HKG-TPE is probably the “flagship route” when it comes to swaps...
I agree, and don't forget Singapore
Old May 31, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by clubeurope
I agree, and don't forget Singapore
TPE is worse, if only because there are ~3x more frequencies daily. It's a merry go round.

To YVRTraveler, the fellow we're responding to most recently, I wouldn't count anything in the bag. The *best* odds of guaranteeing the flat bed are on one of the morning frequencies, usually CX474. It's usually flown by a long-haul aircraft that landed in the early morning and is utilized during the daytime. If everything goes as planned the plane you booked will stay....but TPE is the first thing to get swapped when something elsewhere in the system doesn't go as planned, which is obviously quite frequently given the size of the CX network. Just prepare yourself for disappointment.

Likewise, the inverse could happen. On my flight to TPE ~10 days ago I was scheduled for 773, but a last minute (~2 hours before departure) swap brought 77H instead.
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
As many people have mentioned, yes they do get swapped often, but it also depends on the flight. Like it used to be 77H most often for 474/475. I think this has been changed to 35Gs lately, but most of my flight on 474/475 were always long haul configuration.

I hate the regional config, I call it World Best Premium Economy (although some PEYs seem to be catching up) I do however want to point out that HKG-TPE could be as short as 1hr 13 mins, so it doesn't make much difference whether is regional or long haul config to me as long as it fits my schedule.

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; May 31, 2018 at 11:42 pm
Old May 31, 2018, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
As many people have mentioned, yet they do get swapped often, but it also depends on the flight. Like it used to be 77H most often for 474/475. I think this has been changed to 35Gs lately, but most of my flight on 474/475 were always long haul configuration.

I hate the regional config, I call it World Best Premium Economy (although some PEYs seem to be catching up) I do however want to point out that HKG-TPE could be as short as 1hr 13 mins, so it doesn't make much difference whether is regional or long haul config to me as long as it fits my schedule.
Whenever I book 474 for the 35G or the 77H... I always end up with a 33G... :/
Old May 31, 2018, 11:32 pm

As many people have mentioned, yet they do get swapped often, but it also depends on the flight. Like it used to be 77H most often for 474/475. I think this has been changed to 35Gs lately, but most of my flight on 474/475 were always long haul configuration.

Thanks for the advice guys. You're definitely right that it probably doesn't matter much since it's such a short flight but I would still be pretty disappointed if a swap happens. I was actually originally booked on one of the earlier frequencies but I really wanted to get some breakfast from my favourite HK Cha Chan Tangs so made the switch!
Old May 31, 2018, 11:41 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I was actually originally booked on one of the earlier frequencies but I really wanted to get some breakfast from my favourite HK Cha Chan Tangs so made the switch!
WHAT?? The lovely CX breakfast isn't good enough?
APeverell likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by sxc
WHAT?? The lovely CX breakfast isn't good enough?
I think he meant The Pier F. Turning into a nice Cha Chaan Teng ;-)
sxc and kaka like this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:31 am

I think he meant The Pier F. Turning into a nice Cha Chaan Teng ;-)
*soft narrator voice* : Presenting the new dining experience at The Pier, more of Hong Kong than you can imagine in an Airport Lounge...
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:01 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Talking about soft narration, simmo flew et hkg nrt and ran into stephen chan, who used to narrate for a few rthk and tvb extended news programs.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
This just happened to me. Traveling BKK-HKG. I chose an A350 flight deliberately. Now I went to check in and it’s now a 777 with regional business class.

There re were several A350 options for that day at the time of booking and now all are either 777 or A330. Unfortunately I discovered this thread too late or I wouldn’t have booked CX at all.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by david_oz
This just happened to me. Traveling BKK-HKG. I chose an A350 flight deliberately. Now I went to check in and it’s now a 777 with regional business class.

There re were several A350 options for that day at the time of booking and now all are either 777 or A330. Unfortunately I discovered this thread too late or I wouldn’t have booked CX at all.
i understand people’s frustration that the aircraft cabin has been switched but there’s no need to get upset or even vow to never fly with cx anymore. You’re still onboard CX with the ancillary service/lounge/baggage that it brings.

And it’s called Regional business class for a reason and for a 2 or even 3 hour BKK/SIN for example it’s perfectly fine and you do not need a lie flat bed. In some ways CX should keep long haul aircraft on long haul routes and use regional business class exclusively around Asia to prevent disappointment like this - but then J passengers wouldn’t get the unexpected delight of a flat bed to TPE. 😑
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bhyq

i understand people’s frustration that the aircraft cabin has been switched but there’s no need to get upset or even vow to never fly with cx anymore. You’re still onboard CX with the ancillary service/lounge/baggage that it brings.

And it’s called Regional business class for a reason and for a 2 or even 3 hour BKK/SIN for example it’s perfectly fine and you do not need a lie flat bed. In some ways CX should keep long haul aircraft on long haul routes and use regional business class exclusively around Asia to prevent disappointment like this - but then J passengers wouldn’t get the unexpected delight of a flat bed to TPE. 😑
Sorry, but I disagree. The point isn’t whether or not I need a flat bed for a two hour flight. Nobody “needs” to travel in business class at all, let alone in a bed. The point is that CX loaded their schedule months in advance with multiple A350 flights advertising a certain standard of product (lie flat beds, brand new plane). Now, precisely zero of those flights will be with the advertised product. If they aren’t prepared to deliver on that promise, they should load their schedules with 777 and A330 regional business class instead. This seemingly goes way beyond a swap from time to time for operational reasons, there are six pages of comments on this thread!

the disappointment is that I had multiple options for this flight, and chose CX for the A350 business class product. Being based in North America, I’m pretty used to crap hard product, so this was supposed to be a rare treat. I’m not saying I won’t travel Cathay Pacific again, but I will only choose them if they win on price and schedule, because I won’t trust that the product I book is what I’ll get.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by david_oz

Sorry, but I disagree. The point isn’t whether or not I need a flat bed for a two hour flight. Nobody “needs” to travel in business class at all, let alone in a bed. The point is that CX loaded their schedule months in advance with multiple A350 flights advertising a certain standard of product (lie flat beds, brand new plane). Now, precisely zero of those flights will be with the advertised product. If they aren’t prepared to deliver on that promise, they should load their schedules with 777 and A330 regional business class instead. This seemingly goes way beyond a swap from time to time for operational reasons, there are six pages of comments on this thread!

the disappointment is that I had multiple options for this flight, and chose CX for the A350 business class product. Being based in North America, I’m pretty used to crap hard product, so this was supposed to be a rare treat. I’m not saying I won’t travel Cathay Pacific again, but I will only choose them if they win on price and schedule, because I won’t trust that the product I book is what I’ll get.
No, they don't. They are quite clear there is one product for long haul flights and another for regional flights. If you book a regional flight you have to expect a regional product. Getting a long haul product is just a bonus. Thanks to blogs and travel websites people have begun to think a long haul aircraft is a standard offering on regional flights.
fakecd, sxc, denkigroove and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.