Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: CX lounge operator change to Sodexo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Discussion of The Deck continues here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1895979-deck-opens-22-march-2018-a.html
Print Wikipost

Confirmed: CX lounge operator change to Sodexo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Mr. Strong
Given that CX has apparently selected the cheap low quality Sodexo F&B offering, I think I'll dine at QF lounge then head to Pier F or Wing F afterwards.
Originally Posted by ermen
maybe thats a good idea.
if they see enough people go to rival's lounge maybe they will start noticing and doing something.
but dont think we are FTs move the needle
it is really is lovely how nice some of the food is over in the Qantas lounge. The salads and freshness of the food just stands out.

It's not even "bling" food. But it's great. Someone over at Qantas knows what they're doing with food, and has for a long time in a way Cathay really doesn't grasp.

Something CX could learn from.
rufflesinc, kaka, G-CIVC and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
it is really is lovely how nice some of the food is over in the Qantas lounge. The salads and freshness of the food just stands out.

It's not even "bling" food. But it's great. Someone over at Qantas knows what they're doing with food, and has for a long time in a way Cathay really doesn't grasp.

Something CX could learn from.
They have a proper chef in the QF lounge - even the Siu Mai is home made. Surely not an option for CX with thousands of guests, but it's why their food is just so much better / fresher
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gpia
They have a proper chef in the QF lounge - even the Siu Mai is home made. Surely not an option for CX with thousands of guests, but it's why their food is just so much better / fresher
the (cx) F lounge? I think they can do better
HaikalS and gpia like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by kaka

the (cx) F lounge? I think they can do better
Yeah, agreed. Was thinking only of J lounges at the time
kaka likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:03 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))

Degraded siu mai at Bridge

Now at the Bridge... Siu Mai definitely took the hit.
(Thank God no Mac and Cheese)

Credits to attendants: used plates were removed quickly.
kaka likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:40 am
Suspended

I rmb the coffee was really bad in the bridge during pp...
Originally Posted by royng

Degraded siu mai at Bridge

Now at the Bridge... Siu Mai definitely took the hit.
(Thank God no Mac and Cheese)

Credits to attendants: used plates were removed quickly.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:24 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Some off topic posts have been deleted.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by Cambo
Memory is a bit vague, though I do remember this issue from the J lounge in BKK to, not to say, IIRC also from the Pier J, before the switch-over. I did have the same problem to empty out the little glass cups in BKK.

Let me recheck, next week
In BKK right now, still no metal spoons, though the fridge with the mini shotglass deserts does now have a jar with PLASTIC spoons, strategically located next to the shotglasses inside the fridge. Kind of luxury ice-cream spoons, you get with Haagen-Daz.

Even the tea "department" only has the hollow plastic stabs. Only the noodle bar does have metal spoons, big enough to empty out your rice bowl in 2-3 scoops.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:08 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

The Bridge - Dining room

Did a tour of the J Bridge and Pier HKG lounges to see how they had changed. First up are pictures from the Bridge Dining room. Overall, Bridge seemed about on par to what was there before, but some of the dishes (sago pudding, custard tarts) were the same as what I saw previously at the F Wing buffet.

Saw this in the F wing buffet.

Snacks by the bar
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:10 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

The Bridge - Deli side

And now the Deli side.

Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:14 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

The Pier - Western side

Pictures from The Pier Western dining hall. The disappointing thing about this side is that the dishes are basically the same as what is on the buffet at The Bridge. Except you have to get someone to serve you. The Pier was great before because you would have a different selection in this area but now every serving section in every CX lounge basically has the same food.

royng likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:19 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

The Pier - "asian" side

The Asian dining room no longer only has asian dishes with the addition of "Mac and Cheese". The lounges seem to have an obsession with Mac and Cheese with it being available from every buffet table. What's also missing from the asian dining room are the dishes like fried chicken which was delicious.

Desserts in the Tea House

Desserts in the Tea House
royng likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
It's just industrial / commercial food now. Definitely went downhill and I don't say that lightly.

The Sodexo staff seem "nice" and "friendly", but there is just no obvious service edge. It's a cafeteria now. That's fine, it's free grub and maybe that's all people care about at the end. I'll still eat at Pier F and Wing F from time to time.

One small example. CX / Sodexo had plain pieces of cheap deli ham and turkey laying out in the room between Wing F and Wing J (the room they redid about 2-3 years ago). I really don't mind it at all, I grew up on that stuff (in addition to Mac n Cheese). But just to be clear this is mass produced stuff you can buy in bulk at the supermarket or from any professional caterer in massive massive quantities cheaply. It's not even pretending to be high end. But it's laid out in that side room like it's supposed to be high end! You know, very judiciously and not too many pieces on display, under the glass. This is what I stuffed in my sandwiches when I was 8 years old - I would never imagine presenting that as fine cuisine! Hell, if we're eating cheap ham, at least present it properly: in bulk. Look at some of those American party platters for the proper presentation of less-expensive stuff, now THAT'S how you present it. You pack it high in abundance, stick huge platters on top of the glass and let people scarf their faces. They're presenting ham which is barely a step up from spam like it's aged iberico ham or something. The whole concept is just off. Like, if you want to serve that setup a whole sandwich station with some pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, mayo, and you better have an abundance of that meat there. I'd love that. But delicately presenting slices of Kraft ham like it's haut cuisine strikes me as ..bizarre.

I also think it's clear you're getting at least some of the same food in J and F.
kaka, percysmith, G-CIVC and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:26 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

I also think it's clear you're getting at least some of the same food in J and F.
And those "snacks" / sandwiches in the F Wing deli room that you describe are the same as those laid out in the Wing J cafe section. Admittedly I think some of those items are a bit better (the cakes particularly) but there's not any differentiation between J and F.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:36 am
Suspended

It's just industrial / commercial food now. Definitely went downhill and I don't say that lightly.

The Sodexo staff seem "nice" and "friendly", but there is just no obvious service edge. It's a cafeteria now. That's fine, it's free grub and maybe that's all people care about at the end. I'll still eat at Pier F and Wing F from time to time.

One small example. CX / Sodexo had plain pieces of cheap deli ham and turkey laying out in the room between Wing F and Wing J (the room they redid about 2-3 years ago). I really don't mind it at all, I grew up on that stuff (in addition to Mac n Cheese). But just to be clear this is mass produced stuff you can buy in bulk at the supermarket or from any professional caterer in massive massive quantities cheaply. It's not even pretending to be high end. But it's laid out in that side room like it's supposed to be high end! You know, very judiciously and not too many pieces on display, under the glass. This is what I stuffed in my sandwiches when I was 8 years old - I would never imagine presenting that as fine cuisine! Hell, if we're eating cheap ham, at least present it properly: in bulk. Look at some of those American party platters for the proper presentation of less-expensive stuff, now THAT'S how you present it. You pack it high in abundance, stick huge platters on top of the glass and let people scarf their faces. They're presenting ham which is barely a step up from spam like it's aged iberico ham or something. The whole concept is just off. Like, if you want to serve that setup a whole sandwich station with some pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, mayo, and you better have an abundance of that meat there. I'd love that. But delicately presenting slices of Kraft ham like it's haut cuisine strikes me as ..bizarre.

if thats the the middle room so that’s for the F lounge? #WelldoneCX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.