Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renew cut off early?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Renew cut off early?

I am due for renew this month and I already made the 1200 club points for the renewal. I have more trips coming up later this month. Is there a way I can let MP know to renew immediately so the points counter is set to zero and I accrue next year club point a bit ahead?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:46 pm

Call them and ask
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by lamj
I am due for renew this month and I already made the 1200 club points for the renewal. I have more trips coming up later this month. Is there a way I can let MP know to renew immediately so the points counter is set to zero and I accrue next year club point a bit ahead?
Yes, just call them and ask them to reset. I had done it for the last 2 years.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
OK - would like some advice. I'm diamond with Cathay and currently have 1245 Tier Credits. My year ends 31 October. I have firm plans for flights totalling 340 Tier Credits before 31 October leaving me 15 short of the Bookable Upgrade 1600. I achieved 1600 two years ago, and did manage to eventually use the upgrades, but found it very hard and the value of them not as high as I had imagined. I could easily go on a status run for those 15 if needed.

For my holidays after 31 October, two major trips are already booked - one is using points on BA; the other on another airline entirely. I usually two 3 major trips per annum, meaning only 1 out of the 3 will nett me any TC next year. My business trips are typically to Manila, I estimate that on my normal pattern of travel I will get around 700 TC from them next year. By my estimate, that means I can easily get to around 900TC, but the final 300 might be tough. So am considering renewing now, to nett the extra from the next few weeks, which are planned to be quite intense.

My question is - am I missing anything in this analysis? I am losing 2.5 months of certain Diamond in the hope of renewing. My travel plans may be quite different next year. Any insights appreciated. Probably need to decide tomorrow.....
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Do you mind elaborating why the mid tier upgrades were hard, fairhsa? I am in similar situation and will hit 1600< this year but thought about early reset as well as an option - but that means shortening my current DM year by 1-2 months.
Gold mid-tier upgrades were totally useless. Not many Regional routes have F to upgrade to from J. Allowed subclasses in PY and Y for upgrading are too expensive, buying the discounted next higher class tickets made more sense.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by fairhsa
OK - would like some advice. I'm diamond with Cathay and currently have 1245 Tier Credits. My year ends 31 October. I have firm plans for flights totalling 340 Tier Credits before 31 October leaving me 15 short of the Bookable Upgrade 1600. I achieved 1600 two years ago, and did manage to eventually use the upgrades, but found it very hard and the value of them not as high as I had imagined. I could easily go on a status run for those 15 if needed.

For my holidays after 31 October, two major trips are already booked - one is using points on BA; the other on another airline entirely. I usually two 3 major trips per annum, meaning only 1 out of the 3 will nett me any TC next year. My business trips are typically to Manila, I estimate that on my normal pattern of travel I will get around 700 TC from them next year. By my estimate, that means I can easily get to around 900TC, but the final 300 might be tough. So am considering renewing now, to nett the extra from the next few weeks, which are planned to be quite intense.

My question is - am I missing anything in this analysis? I am losing 2.5 months of certain Diamond in the hope of renewing. My travel plans may be quite different next year. Any insights appreciated. Probably need to decide tomorrow.....
I am currently sitting at 1,205 Club Points, but my membership year does not end until 31.Jan. I do not intend to early reset, as that would effectively shorten my Diamond status by almost 6 months. I will not put my MPC number on my upcoming flights for the rest of this year (estimate another 500 CP minimum), and will just retroactively claim on 01.Feb and apply the CP to the new membership year. I am still sitting on last year's 4 bookable upgrades (must use by 31.Jan), and intend to apply them to flights next year. I do not need the bookable upgrades from this year's membership year because I will probably burn a lot of points next year to take F on a few flights.

If I were you, I would not early reset your membership, but just retroactively claim and credit the flights to next membership year (if you do not find any value in hitting 1,600 CP).
fairhsa likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
Similar situation here... my year renews on 1 Apr but I've already hit 1220 TP. My plan though is to claim some points to Alaska beyond 1600 (and fly more SQ / EK long haul).

Wish that CX had a "reserve" TP system similar to SQ
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I am currently sitting at 1,205 Club Points, but my membership year does not end until 31.Jan. I do not intend to early reset, as that would effectively shorten my Diamond status by almost 6 months. I will not put my MPC number on my upcoming flights for the rest of this year (estimate another 500 CP minimum), and will just retroactively claim on 01.Feb and apply the CP to the new membership year. I am still sitting on last year's 4 bookable upgrades (must use by 31.Jan), and intend to apply them to flights next year. I do not need the bookable upgrades from this year's membership year because I will probably burn a lot of points next year to take F on a few flights.

If I were you, I would not early reset your membership, but just retroactively claim and credit the flights to next membership year (if you do not find any value in hitting 1,600 CP).
That would mean I would miss my benefits for 2.5 months - lounge I can deal with by showing my card, but my OP-UP's would not occur. About half my trips in the next 2.5 months are regional trips in Economy or PEY, and my OP-UP rate as a DM is about 50%... not trivial. But my long haul on Qatar.... no CX benefits I can think of except a slightly better lounge in Doha....I wonder if I can extract my CX number from the booking?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by StarG
Do you mind elaborating why the mid tier upgrades were hard, fairhsa? I am in similar situation and will hit 1600< this year but thought about early reset as well as an option - but that means shortening my current DM year by 1-2 months.
Gold mid-tier upgrades were totally useless. Not many Regional routes have F to upgrade to from J. Allowed subclasses in PY and Y for upgrading are too expensive, buying the discounted next higher class tickets made more sense.
There is another thread on here which explains all the issues, but in summary:
1. You have to book 15 days in advance which completely removed all chance of using them for work, and even some holidays
2. You have to purchase a pretty expensive fare in the first place to be able to use them - since I'm only interested in upgrading to J or F, the best option for me was I -> A - which means if I get them another trip to Vancouver might be in the offing since there was pretty much nowhere else that made sense (and I wanted to go to!). I tried upgrading PEY to J, and I found that it was MORE EXPENSIVE to buy the PEY fare required than it was to buy a discounted J class fare, either on a different airline or by flying ex TPE!

SO basically, same experience as you with your gold upgrades.
flubber and HarbourGent like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat

So basically you're losing out the benefit of being a OWE/DM for the next 5 months?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:41 am

No, not really. I fly J most of the time, and not many of the flights have F to get an Op-Up.

Showing my Dimaond card at check-in (but not entering the number) still gets me First Lounge access.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: CX GO
I thought for early renewal, you can do it in the month of expiry, so for example, if it was 31 August, you could call them 1 August and renew, so you can collect August as well without shortening your membership cycle?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:50 am
JRK

Programs: CX DM, *G (ASIANA); GS DM, Hilton Gold
Have you considered manually crediting the remaining tcs after membership renewal? This would involve removing MUC number prior to boarding and then manually crediting in new membership year.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
No, not really. I fly J most of the time, and not many of the flights have F to get an Op-Up.
Some of DM benefits are more important than op-ups and lounge accesses, e.g., irrops..

Showing my Dimaond card at check-in (but not entering the number) still gets me First Lounge access.
I believe they still have to scan your card.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Some of DM benefits are more important than op-ups and lounge accesses, e.g., irrops..

I believe they still have to scan your card.
Each member values the DM benefits differently.

Done this many times...the Lounge attendants enter the MPC number into their system to confirm access, but the number does not get input to the booking/boarding pass. Or, if you physically check in at the counters, the attendants will enter the MPC number to issue the Lounge pass, but not associate the number with the booking/boarding pass.
fairhsa likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.