FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renew cut off early?
View Single Post
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:28 am
fairhsa

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
OK - would like some advice. I'm diamond with Cathay and currently have 1245 Tier Credits. My year ends 31 October. I have firm plans for flights totalling 340 Tier Credits before 31 October leaving me 15 short of the Bookable Upgrade 1600. I achieved 1600 two years ago, and did manage to eventually use the upgrades, but found it very hard and the value of them not as high as I had imagined. I could easily go on a status run for those 15 if needed.

For my holidays after 31 October, two major trips are already booked - one is using points on BA; the other on another airline entirely. I usually two 3 major trips per annum, meaning only 1 out of the 3 will nett me any TC next year. My business trips are typically to Manila, I estimate that on my normal pattern of travel I will get around 700 TC from them next year. By my estimate, that means I can easily get to around 900TC, but the final 300 might be tough. So am considering renewing now, to nett the extra from the next few weeks, which are planned to be quite intense.

My question is - am I missing anything in this analysis? I am losing 2.5 months of certain Diamond in the hope of renewing. My travel plans may be quite different next year. Any insights appreciated. Probably need to decide tomorrow.....