Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

LAX-HKG (CX897) likely to misconnect to HKG-SGN (CX799)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-HKG (CX897) likely to misconnect to HKG-SGN (CX799)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by QRC3288
To the OP,

The problems today at LAX were caused by a combination of weather and the construction on runway 25R.

It seems the majority of problems with CX897 delays are not CXs fault, but rather LAX. It's not consolation either way. But 25R is not accepting landings and some of the highest MTOW departures - CX897 included - are electing to cross 25R, and then queue for 25L, which is primarily used for landings. Worse, the taxi involves crossing 25L after 25R, and then getting stuck on a single taxiway behind possibly a few cargo aircraft exiting a main cargo area with a single exit. It's unfortunate but US infrastructure is old and not really up to snuff these days.

The reason CX897 is most affected is many of the departures have moved to 24L (north side of airport) by midday. I am not sure why exactly CX897 goes south instead of North more often than the other CX departures, but it does, and this fact combined with the runway construction and general aged design of LAX taxiways/runway (not enough parallel taxiways, taxiways too close to terminal) is all leading to the excessive departure delays.

The fellow I talked to at CX is just as peeved about it as you are but that's the price of doing business to the US. Apparently CX897 has been badly affected since Oct 24 when the runway went under construction, and will be this way until the first week of Feb when it's scheduled to stop. Sorry.
This. Just got a nice tour of the south area of the airport and the cargo terminal ;-). Wow, crazy ground tour!
Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by stephem
The runway construction is a nightmare in LAX, sat on runway yesterday for an hour after landing on the inbound connection from SEA. Almost consolation prize was when checking in w CX, they had bumped 3 of us to F. But after a family caucus, we decided to sit together in business in the minicabin instead of separating 3 in F and 2 in J.

The crew seems aware of the problems getting out of LAX but is optimistic that if we push back in the next 10 minutes we can be wheels up by 9am. It looks like the routing is back to the northern route up over russia and eastern mongolia, which in my experience means lighter winds.

Been doing this for 7 years and have never missed the connection onward, so hoping to keep our streak alive...

edited to add: guess i may have jinxed us by posting before wheels were up. We had to switch routings (now going over Japan) and wont land until 4:20pm. But purser says they know about this specific connection and are confident they will get us through for it (she even pointed out that SGN flight has been held 15-30 min recently for the LAX flight). Hopefully no additional delays from here.
Rooting for your connection and big congrats for the op up even though you're giving it a pass! Heck, three op ups as a non DM?!!!!!! I can only dream
Old Dec 22, 2016, 8:53 pm

So, the motivation of dramatising your trip to keep to the minimum MCT (thanks for the explanation) is to bump yourself up. Never thought that this could be such an interesting pastime.

Sorry, I took flights only for the purpose of getting from point A to point B safely. Like I said, I am just a "No fuss, Leave me alone" passenger.

(Audio)
Old Dec 22, 2016, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Audio
So, the motivation of dramatising your trip to keep to the minimum MCT (thanks for the explanation) is to bump yourself up. Never thought that this could be such an interesting pastime.
Did you read the post? OP declined the upgrade, so that doesn't seem to be the "motivation" at all.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 2:04 am
Original Poster

We made the connections by a hair, and got the A350 to Saigon so we have flat beds all the way. Definitely not a connection for the weak traveller during the LAX runway work!
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:45 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by stephem
We made the connections by a hair, and got the A350 to Saigon so we have flat beds all the way. Definitely not a connection for the weak traveller during the LAX runway work!
^ - was following your exploits. Travel with smallies can really up the stress levels when things like this happen. Glad it all worked out.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soy
^ - was following your exploits. Travel with smallies can really up the stress levels when things like this happen. Glad it all worked out.
thanks! It was a tough trip by the time we made it to SGN yesterday evening, but the CX crews are really good at lending a hand and making the trip easier. The folks working the minicabin on Cx897 were about as good as I have had, explaining food options to kids and allowing kids to order themselves. And good help from ground staff on landing, we got to connection at final/final call ... Glad to be on the ground again now!
Old Dec 25, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I flew 881 connecting to 705 (on a 350 as well ) last week (1:00 connection) and we were given the LAX grand tour for around 45 minutes. Scheduled flying time was 14:57 and block time was 15:35 and we end up arriving 35 minutes past scheduled arrival.

All those pax connecting to SGN/KUL were put on later flight but apparently they held the BKK flight for us. There were at least 12-15 of us connecting to BKK on CX705 and I assumed they held the flight because all the other flights were sold out for the rest of the day (and there are quite a few of us).

Turns out we got delayed at HKG even further due to our missed slot and arrived BKK around an hour later. Bags didn't make it but they deliver it to my hotel around 16:00 same day. ^

I think CX needs to pad their schedule more for their LAX departures especially with the runway construction going on. CX 881 has a terrible on-time departure despite the plane sitting at LAX for a good 9-10 hours. Friday morning's (23DEC) flight left at 03:06 according to Flightaware
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Just to add more specifics, we walked off the jetway at 4:25pm and were through the security check and at our gate by 4:50pm. So even would have made the connection if HkG-SGN hadnt been delayed. 50 minutes is plenty of time when the inbound arrives on time.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:38 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I have deleted a number of posts which are irrelevant to the topic.

A reminder to stay on topic and non-personal in your discussions.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.