Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Can I combine 2 separate ticket redemption to a round trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Few days ago I redeemed a one way ticket urgently and cannot get the flight for return, so I have no choice but redeemed a one way ticket. Any chance I can rectify this to a round trip redemption if I can secure the return flight later?

Please help!
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Did you waitlist your return? If so, you can possibly tell MPC/AM about this round trip when you ticket the return. If it works like upgrades (outbound upgrade cleared and waitlisted return cleared afterwards), they will charge you another one-way for the return and tell you to call them to refund the difference after you completed the return flight.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
You can; however MPC told me that I must at first "tried" to redeem a round trip but not successful. They told me when the returned leg is cleared and flown, I can request to get the mileage difference back. Maybe you should just call them for the detailed policy, a call to MPC isn't that big deal, right?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:38 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
If within the same PNR (inbound waitlisted when outbound was ticketed) and a subsequent inbound clears, it's possible to get the difference between r/t and two one-ways refunded. However AM will deduct two one-ways in the first instance and then refund the difference after all segments in the booking has been flown.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Let's try a slightly more complicated scenario

One PNR - open jaw

CMB-HKG-MEL//PER-HKG-CMB y->PEY upgrade HKG-MEL (no PEY CMB-HKG)

If I upgrade PER-HKG (again no PEY HKG-CMB) Y->PEY would it be worthwhile to email MPC as the upgrade category (HKG-Australia) is the same for both legs.

Thanks for your wandering

Fred
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Let's try a slightly more complicated scenario

One PNR - open jaw

If I upgrade PER-HKG (again no PEY HKG-CMB) Y->PEY would it be worthwhile to email MPC as the upgrade category (HKG-Australia) is the same for both legs.

Thanks for your wandering

Fred
I don't know how open-jaw en-route is calculated. They may add the PER-MEL segment. The best is to call MPC.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
One PNR - open jaw

The original redemption would have been 60,000AM (priced it with the award calculator http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/redeem/flightawardfinder )

When HKG-MEL was upgraded, it would be split up into CMB-HKG-MEL and PER-HKG-CMB as two separate one-way tickets under same PNR. The latter would be charged at 40,000AM http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/redeem/charts#2 . The former will be charged at the lower of 20,000+30,000 or 48,000AM = 48,000AM, so the whole award will be charged as 88,000AM.

When PER-HKG can be upgraded the PER-HKG-CMB will also be charged at 48,000AM. But the whole award should be priced as a round-trip zone D award of 72,000AM so after the travel is complete the difference between 2x48,000AM - 72,000AM = 24,000AM can be refunded.

cxfan1960 - in my experience MPO agents don't answer complicated hypotheticals unless you have an itinerary on hand or can build one on the spot with available seats. And then they're just as likely to get it right as to get it wrong.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
The original redemption would have been 60,000AM (priced it with the award calculator http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/redeem/flightawardfinder )

When HKG-MEL was upgraded, it would be split up into CMB-HKG-MEL and PER-HKG-CMB as two separate one-way tickets under same PNR. The latter would be charged at 40,000AM http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/redeem/charts#2 . The former will be charged at the lower of 20,000+30,000 or 48,000AM = 48,000AM, so the whole award will be charged as 88,000AM.

When PER-HKG can be upgraded the PER-HKG-CMB will also be charged at 48,000AM. But the whole award should be priced as a round-trip zone D award of 72,000AM so after the travel is complete the difference between 2x48,000AM - 72,000AM = 24,000AM can be refunded.
I believe Fred is not talking about CMB, but just upgrading HKG-MEL//PER-HKG only.

Originally Posted by percysmith
cxfan1960 - in my experience MPO agents don't answer complicated hypotheticals unless you have an itinerary on hand or can build one on the spot with available seats. And then they're just as likely to get it right as to get it wrong.
It is not hypothetical. If Fred already has the booking, he can just ask about the what it takes to do the open-jaw RT upgrade. If he hasn't, he can ask about open-jaw RT upgrade redemption, the same logic applies.

The reason to ask if the open-jaw may be considered a segment even though it is not flown or upgraded.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
It is not hypothetical. If Fred already has the booking, he can just ask about the what it takes to do the open-jaw RT upgrade. If he hasn't, he can ask about open-jaw RT upgrade redemption, the same logic applies.

The reason to ask if the open-jaw may be considered a segment even though it is not flown or upgraded.
Sorry I expressed myself badly. I mean Fred has to call. We can't call for him.

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I believe Fred is not talking about CMB, but just upgrading HKG-MEL//PER-HKG only.
I probably made a mistake here too...AM will probably retain his round trip but simply reissue it as a PE return, not as two one-ways.

Return ticket reissue as two one-ways only occur in cases where the one-way original class (e.g. PE) + one-way upgraded class (e.g. J) < return upgraded class. This isn't true for Fred...

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 11, 2015 at 6:36 pm
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
M class open jaw CMB-HKG Australia.

outbound has been flown HKG-MEL upgraded y -> pey.
inbound dates have been changed once and will have to change again (moving medical dates issues). So the original upgrade was one way as the return date was "iffy" from the start.

The question was (though perhaps ambiguously) can one way upgrades on an open jaw (HKG to one country as part of a longer journey) be combined to get the round trip "discount"?

Apologies for the wandering

Fred
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:49 pm

Ohh...upgrade from a revenue ticket

I asked. This one's easier to run via an agent:
Me: "OK, case 1: I've redeemed a one-way from HKG to SYD whilst waitlisting for the return. Return cleared when I was in SYD. Your colleague deducted me two one-ways and then refunded the difference between the two one-ways and the return. This can still be done right?"
Tsuen Wan Agent: "Yes, this can still be done. You have to complete the two one-ways of course"
Me: "OK, case 2. Same case, except I am upgrading from a revenue ticket. Outbound clears early but inbound cannot be upgraded until I'm in SYD. Any similar refund?"
Agent: "Yes, similar refund can be applied for upgrades also after travel"
Me: "Does it matter if my Australian outport is PER?"
Agent: "No matter, still round trip"
Me: "And can I start and stop this trip in Japan instead of HKG, and not upgrade the Japan-HKG segments?"
Agent: "Might still be counted as a Zone C upgrade. But we have to see your revenue PNR to confirm this can be done."
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:54 pm

The simple answer is "yes".

Miles required is calculated based on the longer of HKG-MEL and PER-HKG.
All other segments not upgraded are irrelevant.
The openjaw (MEL-PER) is not a segment under AM rule.

Call Asiamiles to get the difference refunded after PER-HKG segment.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Will I get a 4k Asia Miles refund?

Bumping old thread, seemed most relevant for my question. This is about getting a round-trip miles "refund" for an (unintentional) mixed-class booking. Somewhat pedantic question over 4k Asia Miles, but anyway...

Need to fly HKG-SIN, ideally J class in a few days. Going down one day, back the next (note to anyone on here: using miles for overnight regional trips is great value). HKG-SIN sector cleared in J. SIN-HKG sector only Asia Miles award available in PEY with waitlist for J...(although I class still for sale and PEY/Y widddee open....I tried asking them to contact CX to open a seat, but no luck they won't release for me).

Agent says they will deduct 50k miles for the round-trip J award, and issue return in PEY since no J available. 50k is the round-trip biz price. I told the agent to hold off, how about I just ticket the outbound in J one-way, and wait to book the return in a few days?

My question is, which the agent said isn't possible, let's say I get stuck in J down and PEY back as it stands now. Aka, I don't get J on the return after all. And let's say I booked as two one-ways (30k miles + 24k miles are the one-way prices). Can I claim back 4k miles difference later because 50k miles is what I would've been charged for the round-trip biz class? Right now they're willing to charge me 50k if I book it all together. But not sure this seems in a gray zone for the refund difference rules?

Or, anyone else have any advice how I should be booking this?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I wouldn't pay for J unless they confirm J. Once you've paid you have no bargaining power. I'd book in J down, stay waitlisted for J back. Push the ticketing deadline as far as possible (as I recall you are DM, so that should be pretty close to flight time) and then ticket whatever is confirmed for the outbound. Then stay waitlisted for the inbound as a separate booking. If it clears, CX (according to previous reports here will refund the difference between two singles and a round trip). If it doesn't then travel with someone else - Scoot will fly you in economy for about HK$500, Jetstar for $700, Malaysian (via KL obviously) for $900. Stop letting CX screw you around!
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by christep
I wouldn't pay for J unless they confirm J. Once you've paid you have no bargaining power. I'd book in J down, stay waitlisted for J back. Push the ticketing deadline as far as possible (as I recall you are DM, so that should be pretty close to flight time) and then ticket whatever is confirmed for the outbound. Then stay waitlisted for the inbound as a separate booking. If it clears, CX (according to previous reports here will refund the difference between two singles and a round trip). If it doesn't then travel with someone else - Scoot will fly you in economy for about HK$500, Jetstar for $700, Malaysian (via KL obviously) for $900. Stop letting CX screw you around!
great points. Screw them.

I'll book J down, waitlist for the return, and if it doesn't clear take SQ J back to spite them. It's BS that CX has a few tickets for I-class fare available on the flight I want (especially since both PEY and Y class are wide open) and they won't release it.

Although one thing I'll add: CX is telling me there is a 4 day cutoff for the waitlist?? Is this correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.