Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's going on with CX food in J?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Two updates:

- The burger ex-HKG now comes with (thick) fries. (They taste okay, surprisingly). The ketchup bottle is not a waste anymore.

First photo is the CX burger YYZ-HKG.
Tasty burger with really nice cheese and cute ketchup bottle, but bag of chips kind of meh (and not even the gourmet ones easily available)

Second photo is the BR burger TPE-YYZ.
Awesome perfectly crisp fries/ potato wedges, very tasty burger.

Attached Images   
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:56 am

Had the wonton noodle soup on my HKG-SIN segment recently - the roast chicken breast with tarragon and braised beef looked like they've completely dried out in the oven during reheating.

Well I thought if there's one country who can get basic wonton noodle soup right it should be flights ex-HKG.

But it was awful. The soup, though flavoursome, once poured onto the noodles made the overall dish barely lukewarm. Noodles remained slightly al dente though.

Overall a let down with execution.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Ausriver
CX101 normally has half of the J cabin go straight to sleep after take off. Even in Y, FA try to finish meal service very quickly. But they shouldn't be out of choices by row 15.... maybe the ground staff forgot to load dinner.
I normally sleep on CX101 straight away, and I normally eat at the lounge before the flight. Still it should not give them an excuse to load few dinners. After all this is J we are talking about and not Y.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, Former CX Diamond, TG Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Amex Platinum
Flew CX100 in J on Saturday and found both the appetizer and the entree of the first meal service inedible - the smoked duck with apple appetizer was grey in colour and bland in taste. And the fish with ginger and rice entree was overcooked and bland. I'm not sure if it's the continuing decline of CX J food or the fact that I'd flown two long haul sectors on AA preceding this CX sector that I had a point of comparison (HND-LAX, LAX-SYD). Putting aside that AA offered PJs and a mattress where CX offer neither, the AA J food was plated, looked appetizing and was actually delicious. I'm finding it more and more difficult to justify paying the significant premium to fly CX ex HKG when almost all of the competition are offering better hard product and food. The only saving grace is that CX inflight service is still top notch - the cabin were extremely apologetic about the food and said they'd "write a report".
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
I flew from HKG to SFO in J. I had the healthy choice option of Potato Gnocchi and tomato sauce. The Gnocchi themselves were extremely dry and chalky; the sauce was very sour and lacked any real flavor. Probably one of the worst meals I've have on an international J long haul service on any airline, ever (including United and American).
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jkingsle
I flew from HKG to SFO in J. I had the healthy choice option of Potato Gnocchi and tomato sauce. The Gnocchi themselves were extremely dry and chalky; the sauce was very sour and lacked any real flavor. Probably one of the worst meals I've have on an international J long haul service on any airline, ever (including United and American).

Maybe it's wiser to stick with the chinese options when flying CX J.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: asia miles
Just flew HKG-KIX in J. Breakfast was simply sub part both in term of quality and quantity. Would not believe that was J food. Just a few piece of fruit as starter? main dish was just a few piece fo chicken (suposugly japanese) and 3 piece of japanese rice . really dispointing

Return in Y, overall besides the presentation, food ex Japan in Y was much better than what I have in C ex Hongkong.

Last edited by blandy62; Jan 23, 2017 at 11:21 pm
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:10 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
And meanwhile TG can serve this on a short SIN-BKK sector in Y!!

https://instagram.com/p/BPoWXLTDEBe/
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
And meanwhile TG can serve this on a short SIN-BKK sector in Y!!

https://instagram.com/p/BPoWXLTDEBe/
TG always have high standard... put that in a fancy plate and you get a CX breakfast in C on a 4 hour flight !!
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Carfield
Allow passengers to select meals in advance is a good idea and CX just needs to step up its iT department and actually invests some realy money there. .

Carfield
That's for sure and all the way down to the booking engine. Try to book a ticket a few days agao on the "new website". Had to try 5 times, the first 4 at different point, I and up on a page telling me "page doesn't exists:!!! It is a real shame
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Carfield
I think redeye flights are always tough from an airlines' point of view. But I still feel that it makes no sense to load less than 100% especially in a premium cabin. CX has plenty of transfer passengers, who might be in a different time zone than local passengers. People might be hungry because of a tight connection.

But given the trend of CX cost cutting, I am a bit worried about their "on demand" dining programs and it might be another excuse to further cut loading on these midnight flights.

I still think the way both Taiwanese carriers, CI and BR, handle premium meal orders are pretty good. Allow passengers to select meals in advance is a good idea and CX just needs to step up its iT department and actually invests some realy money there. BR allows passengers to select "decline meals" on these late night flights too.

Carfield
That's for sure and all the way down to the booking engine. Try to book a ticket a few days ago on the "new website". Had to try 5 times, the first 4 at different point, I ended up on a page telling me "page doesn't exists!!! It is a real shame
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: A3G
On CX HKG-CTS-HKG for the return flight in early Nov the J food was looking dry and dull with a taste to match. It had been uplifted in HKG. Imagine, the food since preparation could be getting on for 12hrs when it was served on the flight. The cabin staff acknowledged it was not good.
If I were paying (and a not an award) I would have been livid.
I wonder if since the introduction of HK Airlines dual class daily service there has been an improvement?
BTW, the JAL lounge for international pax that CX uses was appalling in lack of any decent food offerings, except for a selection of alcoholic beverages. A choice of different pot noodles brands? Really!
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:03 am

Quickly reading the most recent comments have me concluded that CX flights ex-HK have the worst food. Having flown a few F and J CX flights recently, both ex-HK and ex US, I have exactly the same experience. The food ex-HK was a lot worse than the food ex-US. I think they have a bad caterer in HK. The beef I had on a recent F flight ex-Hk was the worst I had in international F/J flights in the past couple years. It says something when AA, BA and QF J food beats out their F food.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:25 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mmdough
Quickly reading the most recent comments have me concluded that CX flights ex-HK have the worst food. Having flown a few F and J CX flights recently, both ex-HK and ex US, I have exactly the same experience. The food ex-HK was a lot worse than the food ex-US. I think they have a bad caterer in HK. The beef I had on a recent F flight ex-Hk was the worst I had in international F/J flights in the past couple years. It says something when AA, BA and QF J food beats out their F food.
The caterer in HK is CX itself....so this is their "standard"
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by GeorgieBoy4
On CX HKG-CTS-HKG for the return flight in early Nov the J food was looking dry and dull with a taste to match. It had been uplifted in HKG. Imagine, the food since preparation could be getting on for 12hrs when it was served on the flight. The cabin staff acknowledged it was not good.
If I were paying (and a not an award) I would have been livid.
I wonder if since the introduction of HK Airlines dual class daily service there has been an improvement?
BTW, the JAL lounge for international pax that CX uses was appalling in lack of any decent food offerings, except for a selection of alcoholic beverages. A choice of different pot noodles brands? Really!
At least for some of the Japanese routes that CX compete directly with HX, cold soba noodle is now offered in economy class instead of the normal 'appetiser'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.