Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's going on with CX food in J?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Wife and I have CX J tix in a few days - curious if CX has made any substantial improvements in catering ex-HKG? If not, odds look good that we can upgrade on AA, so we may switch. Incredible that AA's J catering is at least as good (if not better) than CX these days.
Doubt it. Just eat the Pier J lounge.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Wife and I have CX J tix in a few days - curious if CX has made any substantial improvements in catering ex-HKG? If not, odds look good that we can upgrade on AA, so we may switch. Incredible that AA's J catering is at least as good (if not better) than CX these days.
Which flight? If vs CX880, AA is a no brainer landslide victory.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I would fly AA for the mere fact that a one-way ticket from where I am on CX is $3,500 and on AA it's $2,200 hahaha but that's beside the point. But having just recently done an long-haul on the reverse herringbone J of AA (work trip not my choice), I actually find it an acceptable alternative to CX's and the food was okay for me.

EDIT: Another plus for me is that I decided to switch to AA from CX since I never make it past GO... and don't collect 200 :P

Last edited by TravelwhileyouEat; Mar 10, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Explorer789
Doubt it. Just eat the Pier J lounge.
100% agree with this statement. Even though my gates are usually 1-4, i'll make it all the way to the Pier lounge, take a shower and then eat in the lounge. I love the egg custard buns.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
CX 882. AA J looks shockingly light to both DFW and LAX on our travel date so looks like we'll have our pick! Only downside is we're coming from SIN so buying a revenue ticket would put us in Y into HKG. Oh well we can deal with Y for 3.5 hrs.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by clazza
https://www.businesstraveller.com/ai...don-hong-kong/

“Food is one of the main drivers for people to book an airline,” said Colin Talbot, head of catering at BA. “We know that if we get that food right on all of our flights, it’s the number one driver for bringing people back. We spend a lot of time trying to get it right and for our customers, food is an emotion and a passion.

Obviously CX dont agree
I think Colin is living in a fantasy world. BA has, by far, the worst food, in every cabin including F, of any airline I've flown, and this includes LCCs. I cannot think of another airline with consistently worse food.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by MikeBOS
I think Colin is living in a fantasy world. BA has, by far, the worst food, in every cabin including F, of any airline I've flown, and this includes LCCs. I cannot think of another airline with consistently worse food.
I prefer BA J food and wines to CX J food and wines. The seat is a different issue.

And I have had some excellent meals in BA F, more original and "fresh" than CX F. But they have both discontinued their special meal offerings which were quite above the usual offering.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Chillin in The Pier (amazing!) waiting for our flight to LAX. Ended up sticking with CX and I have to say - the food and service on our inbound from SIN was surprisingly good! Wife and I both had the Mee Siam which was tasty and spicy! Plus you can never go wrong with 3 desserts. So here's hoping the catering ex-HKG won't be as bad as I fear...
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: Some
BA food is *OK* most of the time in premium cabins, but sometimes very poor. Can't speak for longhaul Y or Y+ as I've never flown it. Can't say I agree with this general comment though - I take it either you've never flown AA/UA/Mainland Chinese carrier F or have very individual tastes if you think the food is better than BA F.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by brunos
I prefer BA J food and wines to CX J food and wines. The seat is a different issue.

And I have had some excellent meals in BA F, more original and "fresh" than CX F. But they have both discontinued their special meal offerings which were quite above the usual offering.
I agree, CX J food and wines are the one major issue with the CX product and BA is at least on a par with CX here most of the time, if not slightly better. The rest of the BA product is **** in comparison to CX though.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by brunos
I prefer BA J food and wines to CX J food and wines.
I have my first CX flight in J later this year...bracing myself based on this comment.

The deterioration of BA food quality, at least on the routes I've flown (mostly transatlantic J but one R/T to CPT/JNB in F), is a recent phenomenon. 2 years ago it was much better, but at this point for anyone very picky about their food, it is to the point where you really should bring something as a backup.

I would take AA food over BA to the point made in another response, though I forgot about the mainland Chinese carriers I flew long ago, and agree that their food is much worse than BA's.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:08 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I have my first CX flight in J later this year...bracing myself based on this comment.

The deterioration of BA food quality, at least on the routes I've flown (mostly transatlantic J but one R/T to CPT/JNB in F), is a recent phenomenon. 2 years ago it was much better, but at this point for anyone very picky about their food, it is to the point where you really should bring something as a backup.

I would take AA food over BA to the point made in another response, though I forgot about the mainland Chinese carriers I flew long ago, and agree that their food is much worse than BA's.
For the quantity of CX food you will be fine. It's the quality that is the problem. If you were to bring something onboard yourself, I'm sure it would just be like a sandwich or something like that, in which case the onboard food will likely be better.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Flew CTU-HKG with KA. Had tried both Beef Curry and Seafood dish. They were very bland if not tasteless. ISM explained it's from CTU port. She also told me there may be plans to merge KA/CX cathering which in her view would bring the KA cathering to shame.

The ice cream was soft btw.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Just came back from my vacation. Having flown in CX J (MNL-HKG-FCO, MXP-HKG-MNL).
All I can say is, with my limited experiences in flying, especially in J, I am quite impressed with the J catering in all the sectors. (menus posted in the separate CX J Menu thread).

I've flown in J with KE, QR, and PR. I can say that CX is at par or better than QR, a lot better the KE & PR.

I was able to have the burger for my mid flight snack and it is very good.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by boybi
I've flown in J with KE, QR, and PR. I can say that CX is at par or better than QR, a lot better the KE & PR.
Only QR is in the same league as CX, so it's not really a surprise.

I personally find the food on QR to be generally superior in both quantity and quality (presentation is much better too), but to each his own

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.