Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's going on with CX food in J?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by GE90-115B
You'll notice other cuts if you fly Y. There's no more dessert for the first meal. You'll only see the main dish and side salad on the tray. Then, the cutlery on the tray (plastic plates, forks & knives, cups) are a lot more flimsy than before. CX now gives you a full bottle of water, but it's small enough for anyone to finish it in 3-4 gulps. Last of all, the portion of the hot-dish has shrinked.
I really wish CX executives would try flying economy long haul and see what they have done to it. I'm pretty sure these executives fly F or J most of the time...they should be required to fly economy every 3 months and a competitor every 6 months.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:18 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
I barely got my beef at row 15 of CX539 NGO-HKG. I'm sure row 17 and after only had seafood curry to choose from.
strange. seafood curry is usually the better option in J.
but row 15 is like the 4th row!
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
post-2300 departures are not fully catered as 'some pax will go to sleep right away'.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:56 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
post-2300 departures are not fully catered as 'some pax will go to sleep right away'.
actually i stopped eating plane food all together cuz its so bad. but i'll try my best to order sth and make a mess out of it so cx wouldnt think i dont actually want to eat to cut portions further... unless its the HKG-Japan red-eyes which sleeping is in fact more important
Old Dec 28, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by kaka
actually i stopped eating plane food all together cuz its so bad. but i'll try my best to order sth and make a mess out of it so cx wouldnt think i dont actually want to eat to cut portions further... unless its the HKG-Japan red-eyes which sleeping is in fact more important
What haopens on such redeye? Snack then lights dimmed?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GE90-115B
You'll notice other cuts if you fly Y. There's no more dessert for the first meal. You'll only see the main dish and side salad on the tray. Then, the cutlery on the tray (plastic plates, forks & knives, cups) are a lot more flimsy than before. CX now gives you a full bottle of water, but it's small enough for anyone to finish it in 3-4 gulps. Last of all, the portion of the hot-dish has shrinked.
Not even Haagen Dazs/some other brand of ice cream??
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:58 pm

Programs: CX Gold SPG Platinum IHG Platinum Accor Platinum
Cathay Pathetic is just out of order! Was on MH 1 LHR/KUL and inflight catering was fantastic! And there were salt and pepper shakers!
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Not even Haagen Dazs/some other brand of ice cream??
Haagen Dazs ice cream is still there, but in the old days we would have the cake AND the ice cream for the first meal.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Maybe someone could confirm it, but I heard CX made further cuts on the % of meals loaded on midnight departures...
Seems about right. A couple months ago flew the midnight ex HKG for SYD. They ran out of all but one of the mains by the fourth row (777 aircraft). The trolley was restocked with economy meals in aluminium containers.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Seems about right. A couple months ago flew the midnight ex HKG for SYD. They ran out of all but one of the mains by the fourth row (777 aircraft). The trolley was restocked with economy meals in aluminium containers.
If that is indeed the case, at most 16 passengers received all of the first two choices (I believe midnight supper flights have three entree choices). That roughly translates to eight of each entree loaded, for a total of 24 entrees. Loading meals for 60 percent of J pax (40 total on the 77G) is frankly unacceptable.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by dkc192
If that is indeed the case, at most 16 passengers received all of the first two choices (I believe midnight supper flights have three entree choices). That roughly translates to eight of each entree loaded, for a total of 24 entrees. Loading meals for 60 percent of J pax (40 total on the 77G) is frankly unacceptable.
There are only two entrees + a light meal option of an 'entree salad'.

So perhaps it was steak vs sth else and everyone in front picked steak?

Will be on a 77G supper service flight soon and I'll see what the entree numbers loaded are.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
There are only two entrees + a light meal option of an 'entree salad'.

So perhaps it was steak vs sth else and everyone in front picked steak?

Will be on a 77G supper service flight soon and I'll see what the entree numbers loaded are.
Fish, lamb or salad (with duck)! Only the fish was left, but since none of the choices appealed I wasn't overly upset when they came back with a stack of pasta meals from economy. Still - not really acceptable. The flight was full and most people were having dinner.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I wonder if there were other DMs seated at the back who had their orders reserved ahead of time.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
CX101 normally has half of the J cabin go straight to sleep after take off. Even in Y, FA try to finish meal service very quickly. But they shouldn't be out of choices by row 15.... maybe the ground staff forgot to load dinner.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:36 pm

Dilemma

I think redeye flights are always tough from an airlines' point of view. But I still feel that it makes no sense to load less than 100% especially in a premium cabin. CX has plenty of transfer passengers, who might be in a different time zone than local passengers. People might be hungry because of a tight connection.

But given the trend of CX cost cutting, I am a bit worried about their "on demand" dining programs and it might be another excuse to further cut loading on these midnight flights.

I still think the way both Taiwanese carriers, CI and BR, handle premium meal orders are pretty good. Allow passengers to select meals in advance is a good idea and CX just needs to step up its iT department and actually invests some realy money there. BR allows passengers to select "decline meals" on these late night flights too.

Carfield

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.