Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
All signed in members are invited to contribute to this wikipost, and may minimize or maximize wikis by using the +/- functions in the upper right hand corner.

Lounge Admittance Policy and Guest Admittance Policy
Please see this link for details of lounge admittance for:
  • Marco Polo Members
  • Oneworld status holders
  • Business and First Class Passengers
  • People not flying Cathay Pacific or Dragonair
  • Guests

The following FAQs are addressed below:
  • What lounges does Cathay Pacific operate at HKIA (aka “what are my choices”)?
    • Which departures lounge should I use?
      • I am not a Marco Polo Club member. I am not travelling on a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight. Can I use one of the lounges?
        • I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?
          • Can I visit multiple lounges?
            • Do operational-upgrades (op-ups) come with upgraded lounge benefits?
              • Do mile-upgraded (award) tickets come with lounge benefits?
                • What if I want to meet up with fellow FlyerTalkers in CX lounges?
                  • Transiting through HKG and getting to the lounges
                    • Is it possible to visit airside lounges during a transit and then exit the airport?

What lounges does Cathay Pacific operate at HKIA (aka “what are my choices”)?
Cathay Pacific (together with subsidiary Dragonair) operate the following lounges at Hong Kong:

Departure lounges:
  • The Wing - First Class
  • The Wing - Business Class
  • The Pier - First Class
  • The Pier - Business Class
  • The Cabin - Business Class - Closed as of 1 May 2018
  • The Bridge - Business Class
  • The Deck - Business Class

All departure lounges are airside and are only accessible by passengers who have an onward boarding pass and who have cleared security and passport control.

Which departures lounge should I use?
Depending on your access entitlement, you can use any lounge in the terminal. You should check how long it takes to get to your departure gate from the lounge you choose

Food
  • The Wing - F Class, there is a buffet restaurant, and an a-la-carte menu, and a Champagne bar.
  • The Wing - J Class, there is a new Coffee Loft concept offering freshly brewed coffee and freshly baked pastries. Compared to The Pier, there is also a wider selection of savoury foods.
  • The Pier - F Class has an a la carte restaurant, and no buffet. It is the newest of the lounges, and the most up to date in Cathay's service offering.
  • The Cabin has The Deli and the Health Bar which offer made-to-order hot sandwiches and antipasti, and fresh juices. There is also a small western and Asian food buffet. There is no separate F class dining or seating at The Cabin. The Cabin is permanently closed.
  • The Bridge features The Bakery, which offers freshly baked bread and pizzas, as well as sandwiches, pastries, Asian and Western soups, and fresh salads. There is no separate F class dining or seating at The Bridge.
    F Class Lounge Menus: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...nge-menus.html

For details of what facilities are offered in each lounge, please refer to the links on the Cathay Pacific/Dragonair websites:

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Airport Lounges

AusBT reviews of new CX lounges:
The Wing Business Class Review
The Wing First Class Review
The Bridge
The Pier First Class
The New Pier Business Class lounge

Discussion on CX Lounges World Wide:
New - The Bridge
The Wing - The Best Oneworld Business Lounge in the network?
Review of new F wing
Cathay Pacific – Chicago (ORD) Lounge
New CX lounge in SFO???
The New Pier First and Business Class lounges
The New Pier Business Class Lounge
London Heathrow lounge experience
The Deck

I am not a Marco Polo Club member. I am not travelling on a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight. Can I use one of the lounges?

Please see the above section which include details on Admittance policies.

The following can access Cathay Pacific lounges to the extent as detailed in the above admittance policy:
  • First and Business Class passengers flying oneworld marketed and operated flights, class of lounge depending on class of travel
  • Oneworld Sapphire members (including Marco Polo Gold members) departing on a oneworld marketed and operated flight, J lounges
  • Oneworld Emerald members (including Marco Polo Diamond members) departing on a oneworld marketed and operated flight, F or J lounges
  • Marco Polo Silver members departing on a Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon marketed and operated flight, J lounges (any lounge provided by CX to J passengers except for JFK, where SL members are directed to the Admiral's Club when it is open)
  • Marco Polo Silver, Gold, and Diamond members departing on a Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon marketed flight operated by another carrier, class of lounge depending on status, for Cathay Pacific-owned lounges only, if physically accessible and open.

If you do not fall into any of these categories you are out of luck (or you can be guested in).

I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?
Yes. You will be issued with two lounge invitations when you check in for your flight, one for use at your outport and one for use in Hong Kong. Your Hong Kong lounge invitation will clearly display an invitation to "The Wing/Pier/Cabin/G16 Lounge - FIRST CLASS".
There is some discussion at this thread regarding long transits between a First Class and Business Class flights and lounge entitlement: F lounge use when departing J after long next day transit

Can I visit multiple lounges?
Yes. Although the lounge invitation is collected upon entry, a lounge invitation is not required to enter a lounge. Your boarding pass showing cabin and status, and your frequent flyer card if you are relying on oneworld access privileges, is sufficient. The first time you use a boarding pass to enter, the gate staff will need to scan it to check entry eligibility. A re-entry stamp will then be stamped on your boarding pass, this is so that subsequent entries using that boarding pass will not need it scanned.

Do operational-upgrades (op-ups) come with upgraded lounge benefits?
No. This is because an operational upgrade relates solely to needing to re-seat a passenger on board. There is no operational reason to provide other benefits associated with the upgraded travel class such as lounge entry, priority baggage, or bonus miles.

For example, unless he has status etc. allowing first class lounge entry, a business class traveller upgraded to first class for operational reasons will receive a first class boarding pass paired with a business class lounge invitation. Attempts to use the first class boarding pass to enter a first class lounge will be denied when the lounge agent scans his boarding pass. Similarly, an economy or premium economy class passenger op-up'ed to business class does not receive lounge benefits.

Do mile-upgraded (award) tickets come with lounge benefits?
Yes, award tickets have the same lounge benefits as a regular ticket.

What if I want to meet up with fellow FlyerTalkers in CX lounges?
You could try having a look at this thread: Lounge Meetup Master Thread

Transiting through HKG and getting to the lounges

To provide an idea of where the lounges are located throughout the airport:
  • The Wing is near gates 1-4, G16 is near Gates 15-19. Both of these are on the far east side of the concourse - the Wing is southeast, and G16 is northeast.
  • The Cabin is near gate 21, centrally located also on the eastern side of the concourse.
  • The Bridge is centrally located on the west side of the concourse, within a five minute walk from all gates 30-71. This is probably the most strategically located of all the lounges given the volume of gates it is close to.
  • The Pier is on the northwest side of the concourse, nestled among the 60s gates.
  • *As of now, there is no lounge on the southwest side of the concourse (gates 40), but the Bridge is no more than a 5 minute walk from all of the 40s gates.

When transiting, you can use any transit point as they all lead to the same departures area of the airport. You can utilize any transit checkpoint to successfully reach your departure gate without much difference in walking time Therefore, if you see a transit point with no queue, just use it - you don't need to go to a transit point near your next departing gate. From experience, E1/E2 transit points are the points with the most congestion, but maximum time waiting through these points is about 15 minutes.

Is it possible to visit airside lounges during a transit and then exit the airport?

**Updated, this no longer seems possible, per this thread: Stuck in HKG without being able to Exit , previously there was some view that it may be possible, but this appears to be moot: Using HKG departure-side lounges before clearing immigration
Print Wikipost

Lounge Access and other Lounge FAQs

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: SPG Gold, CX MPC Gold, Hilton Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by ianp
I am flying HKG - LHR in C on CX on monday , can anyone let me know if the arrivals lounge at LHR is open at the moment ?
Thanks ..
From memory it depends which flight you catch.
For the early arrivals you get into the arrivals lounge. Anything after mid-day (+/- an hour) you won't get arrivals lounge.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: QF,US,ANA
Originally Posted by Iamhappy
From memory it depends which flight you catch.
For the early arrivals you get into the arrivals lounge. Anything after mid-day (+/- an hour) you won't get arrivals lounge.
Thanks for that , I arrive at 6.30 am .

But I have read that one of the lounges is closed at the moment for a refurb , so I am not sure if the arrivals lounge is open..
Old May 27, 2016, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by windchaser777
Plus, I didn't think BKK-HKG was either longer than 5 hours or considered an international long-haul flight.
It isn't. The DOH-BKK flight is.

Originally Posted by windchaser777
If you were flying DOH-HKG in Qatar F then continuing on to PVG, then this would be a non-issue and you would be entitled to the F lounges in HKG. But the passage you've quoted doesn't even apply to your situation.

Though as others have said before, you can always try your luck. Just don't build your expectations too high.
It's as the poster just before you percysmith says, the crux is what the word "between" means here ... does it refer only to the segments which actually connect to the airport housing the lounge in question, or to all connecting segments on a given ticket in a given day?

Last edited by grady4; May 27, 2016 at 6:42 am
Old May 27, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by grady4
It isn't. The DOH-BKK flight is.

It's as the poster just before you percysmith says, the crux is what the word "between" means here ... does it refer only to the segments which actually connect to the airport housing the lounge in question, or to all connecting segments on a given ticket in a given day?
Ha, I don't really think it's ambiguous at all...it's not referring to your situation. I think your hope is making it a lot more ambiguous than it is.

The opening line talks about connecting between "flights". By default, you can only connect between two flights at a time. And it uses singular..."when traveling between an international long haul flight....and an international short haul". It doesn't say "when traveling between an international long-haul flight and as many subsequent short-haul flights as you like within a 24 hour time limit".

It's worth a shot and you might even get in. I just wouldn't rely on any legalistic arm twisting because I think if you go there, I think your odds of getting in decline.
Old May 27, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Ha, I don't really think it's ambiguous at all...it's not referring to your situation. I think your hope is making it a lot more ambiguous than it is.

The opening line talks about connecting between "flights". By default, you can only connect between two flights at a time. And it uses singular..."when traveling between an international long haul flight....and an international short haul". It doesn't say "when traveling between an international long-haul flight and as many subsequent short-haul flights as you like within a 24 hour time limit".

It's worth a shot and you might even get in. I just wouldn't rely on any legalistic arm twisting because I think if you go there, I think your odds of getting in decline.
Exactly.

Also CX has zero incentive to do that,since you the OP is departing on a CX flight and they therefore can't charge the operating airline.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: AS, Hyatt
So question about lounges:

I will be flying LAX-HKG in F arriving at 6 am. Then I will transit to from HKG-KIX in J at around 11:30 am. From reading this thread it seems I should have access to the F lounges in HKG when I arrive.

My question is should I try to go to the Wing F to snag a cabana before heading my way to check out Pier F for the food? Thanks for the responses!
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:23 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by kev909
So question about lounges:

I will be flying LAX-HKG in F arriving at 6 am. Then I will transit to from HKG-KIX in J at around 11:30 am. From reading this thread it seems I should have access to the F lounges in HKG when I arrive.

My question is should I try to go to the Wing F to snag a cabana before heading my way to check out Pier F for the food? Thanks for the responses!
How important is having a bath tub and a room to stay in vs just having a good shower, and then relaxing in the whole lounge generally?

Personally, the cabana is not ALL that except to say "wow a bath tub in an airport" and generally the more relaxed experience in The Pier would be better overall.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
I would just go to the place nearest to my arrival gate and then move to the second lounge. That way you might be lucky and avoid backtracking (eg:if your flight arrived at gate 65,you go to The Pier,than to The Wing and then have to head back because they assigned gate 45 for you.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:32 am

Hi guys,

Flying CX 841 JFK-HKG 10 AM - 2PM then flying KA 808 HKG-PVG Departing 4:55 PM. Flying in F

Will I have enough time to see both Wing and Pier F lounges in just under 3 hours? Would I be better off just sticking to one? Which lounge will be a must see/do?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Ha, mate we have a different opinion of "reasonably compelling". Admittedly if I were running the airline, I'd probably strictly enforce the rule here moreso here than elsewhere, just because the itinerary would smell to me like some kind of mileage running / clever award booking etc which isn't the most lucrative for airlines. Totally within the pax rights to make such itineraries, but also totally within the airline's rights to deny the lounge here. The spirit of these rules is to accommodate long-haul J and F pax who are flying onward connections in a lower class, particularly relevant now that F-equipped planes are less common in airlines' fleets. Those F lounge reciprocal payments can be up to $50 USD each time, they're not cheap for the airlines. I *think* in this case CX would have to pay JL for the admittance if they let you in. Perhaps they'll call CX for approval. But with the prices being real money, it's not trivial for them to just do a favor. In the case of CX in my 8+ years as Diamond (OWE), I have experienced two sides of them...one spending an absolute ton of cash, another period spending considerably less, but always at the same tier. FWIW, the amount of discretion and favors they've done for me over the years seems to move roughly in line with how much money I give them.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Absolutely no harm in trying. I'm just sayin I kinda think the logic is less compelling than you might think. Go for it and let us know what happens. I am not familiar with how strict the JL lounge dragons are.
Just a follow up from this dialogue on page 49. I arrived into HND on CX 542 in F, made my way to the JAL lounge counter, and walked straight into the F lounge without the agents batting an eye. I didn't even have to talk my way in. I simply said, "I've arrived off of CX 542 in F [hands boarding pass] and am connecting to Bangkok on JL 33. I think that means I can get into the F lounge, but I'm not sure." She printed my JL boarding pass, and showed me into the F lounge.

While I can't say whether or not I had an inexperienced agent, was given an exception, or the policy has changed, I can say it was remarkably easy to do something that was against policy.

Just contributing another data point.

Cheers,
Cameron
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sgan317
Hi guys,

Flying CX 841 JFK-HKG 10 AM - 2PM then flying KA 808 HKG-PVG Departing 4:55 PM. Flying in F

Will I have enough time to see both Wing and Pier F lounges in just under 3 hours? Would I be better off just sticking to one? Which lounge will be a must see/do?
I wouldn't try to push it. By the time you deplane, walk to the nearest transfer counter, and get back through security, it could be 2:20-2:30. Considering you will want to be at the gate 45 minutes before your flight, and it could be a 10-20 minute trek depending on where you are, all in all you're looking at less than 2 hours in all likelihood to actually be in the lounge. If your only interest is "seeing" the lounges, then sure, you probably can see both, especially if you coordinate your lounge-hopping with the flow of your transit. Personally, I'd head to the Pier, get signed up for a massage treatment (hopefully their backlog won't be insane), and enjoy the dining. It's a very pleasant lounge (my favorite of the two, and before I'd tried the new Pier for the first time 2 weeks ago, there's no way you could have convinced me it could be better than The Wing.

You'll have a great time, wherever you wind up.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:46 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Glad to hear it worked out.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:13 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by alphaod
I'm pretty sure all the lounges close at midnight save for the Wing which closes after the last flight leaves. Then it opens the downstairs J section really early for really early flights that come in say 4 am.

Does any one in this forum actually seen the Wing J close?

It seems no matter how early I got here (around 4am), the down stair section is always open and there seems to be people who's already there for a while.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
I am flying Cx first Hkg-Ord on Sunday. My friend that I am traveling with is flying as a non rev on a buddy pass AA business to Dfw. He may only have a seat request card and not a boarding pass. Would I be able to bring him in the Cx F lounge as my guest since he is both flying another airline and as a non rev buddy pass flyer? I know he told me that he is not allowed in admirals club as a non rev buddy pass holder.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I'd be very surprised if he were able to get airside unless/until he has a confirmed seat (and hence a boarding pass). The lounges are airside. Once he has a boarding pass then I would expect him to be allowed as your guest.

Last edited by christep; Jun 16, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.