Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "77G" with no F

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
my CX828 flight in may from HKG-YYZ has been downgraded from F to J.

CX829 from YYZ to HKG still showing in F. this was award booking with BA miles. no notice of it other than here.
Are you getting any miles returned to your account and/or any other compensation for the downgrade? I may be in a similar position as you, but for now, the flight that I am booked on next year is still served by 77A. Never know about changes, with 6+ months to go until my flight, though.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Are you getting any miles returned to your account and/or any other compensation for the downgrade? I may be in a similar position as you, but for now, the flight that I am booked on next year is still served by 77A. Never know about changes, with 6+ months to go until my flight, though.
was not even told by BA have questions over on the BA thread since i was booked with spouse/child in J on the same flight...thankfully, i am in J on this flight also. i wanted J in any case so in part, this is a good thing for me.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:32 pm

I wonder when they'll start fitting the 777-300ERs with First Class with Premium Economy?

Or, are there any additional 777-300ERs with First Class due after the first 77G is delivered?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
my CX828 flight in may from HKG-YYZ has been downgraded from F to J.

CX829 from YYZ to HKG still showing in F. this was award booking with BA miles. no notice of it other than here.
CX828/829 is only operating with 77G once a week from March 2012.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL GM US silver AA GM Jet Blue True Blue
Does Cathay typically offer compensation when F is removed? Does the answer change if one used BA or AA miles to book an award seat?

We originally scored two F seats to yyz but after learning about the 77g, we switched our reservation to JFK. (the late flight) is that flight likely to be replaced with the 77g?

I would be grateful for any thoughts or insight anyone cares to offer.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 7:44 pm
ijm

A little off topic..but you guys think these 77G's will have new regular Y seats instead of the current shell seats. CX does have plans of scrapping those shell seats right???
Old Oct 1, 2011, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by ijm
A little off topic..but you guys think these 77G's will have new regular Y seats instead of the current shell seats. CX does have plans of scrapping those shell seats right???
They did vow that they'll be introducing a new Y. But right now the focus of attention is on Y+. Once that's done then I think a new Y is next on the agenda.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by NE flier
Does Cathay typically offer compensation when F is removed? Does the answer change if one used BA or AA miles to book an award seat?

We originally scored two F seats to yyz but after learning about the 77g, we switched our reservation to JFK. (the late flight) is that flight likely to be replaced with the 77g?

I would be grateful for any thoughts or insight anyone cares to offer.
Cathay gave me 500HKD when my 77A to MNL was swapped for a 772. I was on an AA award ticket from BKK and AA refunded the miles difference between J and F. F to regional J was a tough transition though...

I bet they would offer more compensation on a longer flight though.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jimyvr
CX828/829 is only operating with 77G once a week from March 2012.
Looking at ExpertFlyer it appears that 829 YYZ HKG is several days a week in March but not all of them and the return with no F or A is 828 HKG YYZ and on occasion, 826 but not 828, also several days a week. This is logical for 829/828 as 829 arrives at 5 a.m. making it logically the same return aircraft for 828 at 11 a.m.

Examples: For late March, 829 with J only is Monday (3/19) , Thurs 3/22, Sat., 3/24 while 827 has F/A every day.

And 828 with J only is Tuesday 4/3, Thursday 4/5, but changes to 826 on Sunday 4/8

So it seems a bit of mix and match on days and times making the new J only something you'd almost have to work to find while F is on at least one flight daily and often both flights, and both directions. I assume as they get more new J seats this might change. What would be nice is getting the new J seats on the aircraft with F to have an option.

At least if you want NGBC you can book the J only airdraft and be assured you'll get it.

I am flying F only right now (A, actually) to avoid the current J but I'd switch for the $4,500 or so I can save).

Although an oddity all flights with F have A availibility showing on the to/from HKG leg and for pricing nothing for A is visible, only F. (and J and two types of I for Business).

Last edited by ricktoronto; Oct 3, 2011 at 8:19 am
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
At least if you want NGBC you can book the J only airdraft and be assured you'll get it.
Until they pull an aircraft switch on you!

Those in premium economy (assuming it's sold while schedules are still so ad hoc) might be pretty pleased though, as presumably most if not all would be all bumped up to J given the extra F/J capacity the 77A has over the 77G.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:15 pm

BTW with F likely gradually being eliminated on this route and less AA FFers freeloading redemptions on this route. What will this result in? Less Americans flying the YYZ route which is a ^^^^
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Stampy
What will this result in? Less Americans flying the YYZ route which is a ^^^^
Is that really necessary? The bash-America thing is both an overused punch-line and offensive....

I am a strong believer in cutting down the number of partner redemptions ("freeloaders") because, as an Asia Miles member all else equal it is frustrating that I must pay substantially more $$ to earn and burn miles than AA members on CX metal. But it's kinda unnecessary to extend the argument any further than that.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Is that really necessary? The bash-America thing is both an overused punch-line and offensive....
+1.

I am a strong believer in cutting down the number of partner redemptions ("freeloaders") because, as an Asia Miles member all else equal it is frustrating that I must pay substantially more $$ to earn and burn miles than AA members on CX metal. But it's kinda unnecessary to extend the argument any further than that.
Given your travel patterns, might it make sense for you to switch to AAdvantage to take advantage of better earn/burn ratio?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:28 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Given your travel patterns, might it make sense for you to switch to AAdvantage to take advantage of better earn/burn ratio?
It's a very valid point....I guess the reason I stay around are the op-ups, and that I can bring extra friends into the F lounge with me. Embarrassed to say so but it's true. Maybe I should do an analysis by adding the value of the op-ups against the potential F redemptions I'm giving up on US flights. I still mainly fly Y class intra-Asia, where I am based and do a lot of flying, and split my long-haul between J and F. So I still have enough opportunities for those coveted J-F op-ups.

I also feel (with no real evidence, since I haven't been an AA elite for a long time since my college days) that CX treats its own members better than AA ones?

Last edited by QRC3288; Nov 3, 2011 at 2:53 am
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:29 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
It's a very valid point....I guess the reason I stay around are the op-ups, and that I can bring extra friends into the F lounge with me. Embarrassed to say so but it's true. Maybe I should do an analysis by adding the value of the op-ups against the F redemptions I'm wasting on US flights. I still mainly fly Y class intra-Asia, where I am based and do a lot of flying, and split my long-haul between J and F. So I still have enough opportunities for those coveted J-F op-ups.

I also feel (with no real evidence, since I haven't been an AA elite for a long time since my college days) that CX treats its own members better than AA ones?
Plus the fact that if you had AA miles trying to redeem on CX (which you would if based in HK), it will be harder to redeem vs redeeming using AsiaMiles. Being a DM on CX means they will bend over backwards to get you a redemption ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.