Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Make sure you have an account set up with the provider (car rental/hotel/airline) that you are booking travel with before you book with CapOne.
Print Wikipost

Booking travel through C1 portal by Hopper

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2022, 7:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Citi's ThankYou Rewards uses cxLoyalty for travel bookings, and they say: Due to hotel supplier policies applicable to our preferred rates, your name may not be provided to the hotel property until 24 hours prior to your arrival. There are anecdotal reports in the Citi forum to confirm that this is accurate.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by levilevi
So - as part of a larger trip , we have a one night stay in Denver after landing, so decided to use the Capital One portal to use the $300 on that hotel, save the points, etc etc.
Booked May 3. Stay is July 1.
I called the hotel today just to check on something and ask a question - and I asked to look at my reservation while I was on the phone just in case (haven't used an OTA in probably at least a decade), and... lo and behold.. nothing... not by my name, CC number, any of the confirmation numbers from Capital One Travel. I even forwarded the reservation to the person I was talking to (front desk manager). She couldn't find anything.

I just got off the phone with Capital One Travel - the person said immediately "rest assured, you have a reservation, we just dont sent that information to the hotel until 15 days prior, and its a common practice for travel agencies."

I'm, of course, going to call this Friday (14 days prior) back to the hotel to verify because I'm concerned now, but ... can anyone lend any credence to this 15 day thing with OTAs? The front desk manager at the hotel surely would know this and say something like "oh, it could be that you're outside of 15 days" especially when she saw I booked through an OTA. Cap1 is powered by Hopper if i'm not mistaken... so ... any others experience this and can calm me down?

I'm just trying to avoid showing up late in the day with young kids and having an issue.
Originally Posted by TerryK
I don't know about Capital One Travel specifically but some agencies only send booking details about one week prior to stay. This 15-day explanation is plausible.

Agency has a number of rooms blocked. There could be a good number of new bookings/changes/cancellations between now and July 1. Hence, some agencies only send booking information to properties one week or even a few days prior to check in.

The Front Desk Manager handles activities at the front desk where guests all have current reservations. The Reservation Manager should have known about this 15-7-3 day prior booking detail transfer as he/she handles future bookings.
Originally Posted by SpaethCo
A number of the booking details will ultimately not be your information. CapOne hotel bookings are done via a virtual credit card number that is generated just to pay for that room.

The billing address will also be something like "1111 Expedia Group Way W" depending on where Hopper sourced the room inventory from.
Originally Posted by tatterdema
IMHO, You have a valid reason to be concerned. Although they always say that about 15 days, yadda yadda, I personally have never seen that. I have worked in hotels for over 20+ years and never seen it. Same with travel I have personally booked through OTA's, probably a dozen a year. Have never seen this. The hotel has ALWAYS had my reservation shortly after booking it, except in cases where there is an issue. In this day and age of computers, there is no reason to hold back bookings. That is just my own personal experience, others may differ. Come back and let us know if they found it.
To update you all and warn - I called yesterday, 6/20, which is 11 days prior to check in - hotel front desk had nothing. Got concerned, but thought "maybe it wasnt sent over weekend/US Holiday" and called again this afternoon. Hotel had nothing. Called back to Cap1 Travel - the person had a different tune "we sent the hotel your booking info in May, when you booked it." But to this agent's credit, she called the hotel directly, and after a 15 minute hold (presumably while she waited herself on hold) she came back with a hotel confirmation number and when I asked what happened she said the hotel never seemed to get the original reservation info, but she directly booked again with the hotel while I was on hold.

Obviously this could be a one-off, and I'm sure that upon arrival this could have been sorted out, but much rather do it from my home, and not have tired family with luggage in the lobby doing this...

ETA: called hotel back just now to confirm/make sure all was good - same person that I spoke to (and Cap1 spoke to) knew my name immediately, a nice laugh/convo, all good.

(I had posted a similar question in the general OTA thread - cross post - here's the link: When does OTA transfer full booking info to hotel ?, and will put a link to this there - Mods - feel free to determine if both shouldn't be there)

Last edited by levilevi; Jun 21, 2022 at 7:13 pm
Old Jun 25, 2022, 9:14 am

One positive note with CAP1 Travel - I guess Hooper (which CAP 1 Travel is based on) does have a good source(s) for hotel rooms.
Booking a trip for Japan in 2023 and thought might as well use the credit even if I normally always book direct.

CAP1 Travel returned some great options in Tokyo at a rate that is lower than booking direct as well as a few of the major OTAs. And then paying with Venture X gets 10X points. That's another 10% off.
I am still wary of booking via 3rd party portals in general, especially with the experience a few comments up the thread about the booking not reaching the hotel.

But for the purpose of using up the $300 travel credit I have much less reservation ;-) now.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:08 am

Can someone check and see if you can book Sonder hotels in the CapOne travel portal?

https://www.sonder.com/destinations/...31081?sleeps=1

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 2P

Word of warning for Capital One Travel. I used my annual travel credit several months ago to book a recent stay in one of the Ibis hotels in Glasgow and experienced the nightmare scenario. Turned up to the hotel sick (with what later turned out to be COVID) around 10pm after a long day of travel related delays curtesy of the British rail system. Hotel had no record of my reservation and were completely full. Fortunately, staff were able to find me space in one of the other Ibis hotels close by in Glasgow.

Called Capital One Travel the next day livid demanding an explanation and they were completely useless..literally unable to provide any information since they apparently use a travel intermediary to actually book rooms. Asked for a refund and they unsurprisingly never replied.

So if you are using Capital One Travel--absolutely contact the hotel directly before your stay to confirm your reservation
Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by N9631
... Hotel had no record of my reservation and were completely full.
I think the key to that experience was the combo of hotel being full and the new arrival showing symptoms of covid. The best remedy would've been a printed confirmation number or an email showing the same. I don't think that a prior phone confirmation would've done the job, especially if that person is not present at the hotel.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:43 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by MaxVO
I don't think that a prior phone confirmation would've done the job, especially if that person is not present at the hotel.
I didn't read that as N9631 intending it as confirmation of reservation but as proof of existence of reservation - i.e. one was never in the system, and it would have been much easier to fix with more lead time.

Is it possible reservation was "lost" when the hotel was full? Sure, but let's remember that incompetence is more likely IMHO.

Of course I am guilty myself of relying on email confirmation and reservation number even when using Booking.com or Hotels.com

OTOH, I've had so many problems using ThankYou points I tend to at least double check everything. Many frustrating hours fixing problems that they caused and were not willing to fix: "this should work, I don't understand why it does not"
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by MaxVO
I think the key to that experience was the combo of hotel being full and the new arrival showing symptoms of covid. The best remedy would've been a printed confirmation number or an email showing the same. I don't think that a prior phone confirmation would've done the job, especially if that person is not present at the hotel.

​​​​​​​You're not understanding me. I booked the hotel 2 months previously with Capital One Travel. I received a "confirmation" from Capital One at the time of my booking. Showed up to the hotel two months later and they had no record of my booking.

The fact that I was sick (and testing negative on RAT at the time) has nothing to do with this--other than to add massively to the experience being a giant pain in the ...
Old Jul 23, 2022, 8:21 am
mia

Originally Posted by N9631
....they apparently use a travel intermediary to actually book rooms....
This is common. Scroll back to post 945 and read forward. The property may not have your booking until the day before you arrive, and if it was routed through a consolidator it will be at a low rate which might make the property more likely to "walk" you if they are overbooked.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 11:17 am

Yep - and here's the resolution:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34356775-post957.html

When we actually arrived at the hotel, BTW, they had the reservation but were "out" of 2 bed rooms, which is what I had reserved and needed for my family. Their occupancy limits for the king sized they had wouldn't allow for a rollaway. I went online, saw a suite was available with 2 beds - as I could tell they were looking to walk us which I didn't want, and they asked to wait and magically found a 2-double-bed room available after about 10 minutes.

I'm sure a combo of Hopper/Cap1 booking issues and a full hotel-being at the bottom of the pecking order checking in around 6pm on a busy Friday/weekend
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Anyone know if its possible to use the Cap1 travel portal to book an Air Canada Flex fare for transborder travel. Looking to purchase an AC fare, and was hoping to use the $300 annual credit, but don't see an option to book a flex fare instead of the base standard fare on the portal (for the record, vs. a standard fare, flex fare offers advance seat selection, a free checked bag and no change fee - looking for a bit more flexibility on this.

And speaking of the $300 credit, anyone know if the credit is refreshed based on calendar year or approval date? I just looked at the welcome letter and doesn't seem to indicate either way.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I have a fully refundable air tix on United booked through CapOne Travel Portal using my Venture X credit card. Plans have changed and I want to cancel. Hit the cancel button on the CapOne Portal and it tells me that reservation isn't refundable (even though the reservation says it is refundable), but that I can get a credit for future travel on the portal. This is BS. Do I have to call and get this fixed or what? If I just proceed with the cancellation will I get an option somewhere in the process to refund to my original method of purchase.

Again, the reservation is refundable without any fees per both the United site and CapOne Travel Portal.

I really hate having to call to do anything that should be just a click or two on a web page.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
I have a fully refundable air tix on United booked through CapOne...
Do you have refundable tix or a reservation? Just want to make sure there's no deceptive word play involved.
What are you seeing on United's website?
Old Aug 22, 2022, 9:07 am
mia

I booked a domestic Delta roundtrip through the Capital One portal. I needed to cancel, and I was able to do this on delta.com, no contact with the agency.
SpaethCo likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
I booked a domestic Delta roundtrip through the Capital One portal. I needed to cancel, and I was able to do this on delta.com, no contact with the agency.
You got your refund back on your card? Usually these travel Portals tell you if you initiate the refund directly with airlines or hotels you'll lose the credit.
Moh20 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.