Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

When does OTA transfer full booking info to hotel ?

Old Jun 15, 22, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Hi all - I posted this in the CC forum as it involved Capital One's Travel Portal, I believe powered by Hopper:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34336283-post945.html

So - as part of a larger trip , we have a one night stay in Denver after landing, so decided to use the Capital One portal to use the $300 on that hotel, save the points, etc etc.
Booked May 3. Stay is July 1.
I called the hotel today just to check on something and ask a question - and I asked to look at my reservation while I was on the phone just in case (haven't used an OTA in probably at least a decade), and... lo and behold.. nothing... not by my name, CC number, any of the confirmation numbers from Capital One Travel. I even forwarded the reservation to the person I was talking to (front desk manager). She couldn't find anything.

I just got off the phone with Capital One Travel - the person said immediately "rest assured, you have a reservation, we just dont sent that information to the hotel until 15 days prior, and its a common practice for travel agencies."

I'm, of course, going to call this Friday (14 days prior) back to the hotel to verify because I'm concerned now, but ... can anyone lend any credence to this 15 day thing with OTAs? The front desk manager at the hotel surely would know this and say something like "oh, it could be that you're outside of 15 days" especially when she saw I booked through an OTA. Cap1 is powered by Hopper if i'm not mistaken... so ... any others experience this and can calm me down?

I'm just trying to avoid showing up late in the day with young kids and having an issue.
There were a couple of replies in that thread that have seemed to indicate this is normal/biz as usual... so I'm relieved (but will still call the hotel back within the 15 days window to confirm again before our trip.

I subsequently found this forum and figured to post here, but ask more broadly for the benefit of others:
- Other's experiences?
- Is this "normal?"
- How does one "confirm" details with a hotel (arrival times, needs, request) more than 15 days out if they want, but the hotel has no record yet?
Old Jun 19, 22, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's a common OLTA policy, but I wouldn't say that the fifteen day period is universal.
levilevi likes this.
Old Jun 21, 22, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Hi all - to close the loop on this, here is the post I made in the Cap1 Venture X forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34356775-post957.html

To update you all and warn - I called yesterday, 6/20, which is 11 days prior to check in - hotel front desk had nothing. Got concerned, but thought "maybe it wasnt sent over weekend/US Holiday" and called again this afternoon. Hotel had nothing. Called back to Cap1 Travel - the person had a different tune "we sent the hotel your booking info in May, when you booked it." But to this agent's credit, she called the hotel directly, and after a 15 minute hold (presumably while she waited herself on hold) she came back with a hotel confirmation number and when I asked what happened she said the hotel never seemed to get the original reservation info, but she directly booked again with the hotel while I was on hold.

Obviously this could be a one-off, and I'm sure that upon arrival this could have been sorted out, but much rather do it from my home, and not have tired family with luggage in the lobby doing this...

(I had posted a similar question in the general OTA thread - cross post - here's the link: When does OTA transfer full booking info to hotel ?, and will put a link to this there - Mods - feel free to determine if both shouldn't be there)
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:43 pm

Thank you for closing the loop on this.

When I've booked hotels through Capital One Travel, I receive an H-### Confirmation Code (Which I assume is Hopper/Capital One's internal confirmation) as well as a 13 digit numeric "Hotel Confirmation."
The "Hotel Confirmation" has always been in the same 13 digit numeric format regardless of hotel company for me, and is inconsistent with confirmation codes found from hotels themselves. (For example, if I try to look up a Marriott reservation online, their system won't allow more than 11 characters in their Confirmation #)

Does anyone know what the 13 digit "Hotel confirmation" equate to, or how to track that? I assume Capital One is booking through another OTA but I haven't been able to find my reservation anyone to try and monitor it online.

Calling the hotel is easy enough, but if we could reliably track online that would save a call!
Old Jun 24, 22, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Slayer Essence View Post
Does anyone know what the 13 digit "Hotel confirmation" equate to, or how to track that?!
In each interaction with the hotel, as soon as I started reading that they cut me off to say that number has no meaning to us... again, this is just one hotel, Hilton Garden Inn, but .... the front desk (nor Hilton central reservations line) were able to do anything with it. And you are correct, it seems to be the Cap1 Travel Confirmation , minus the "H-"

Anyway, I've seen a lot of positive / no issue annecdotes out there, but as I've rarely done OTA bookings before (except for FHR through Amex, which I usually get an email from the hotel concierge) , I intend to call the properties directly now each time to confirm if I do this again.
Old Jun 24, 22, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by levilevi View Post
In each interaction with the hotel, as soon as I started reading that they cut me off to say that number has no meaning to us... again, this is just one hotel, Hilton Garden Inn, but .... the front desk (nor Hilton central reservations line) were able to do anything with it. And you are correct, it seems to be the Cap1 Travel Confirmation , minus the "H-"

Anyway, I've seen a lot of positive / no issue annecdotes out there, but as I've rarely done OTA bookings before (except for FHR through Amex, which I usually get an email from the hotel concierge) , I intend to call the properties directly now each time to confirm if I do this again.
Agree, I've actually used Capital One Travel twice without checking and without issue, but I have a larger trip coming up with the family so I'll be calling next month to make sure everything is confirmed.
Ultimately, I don't mind since I know what to do/expect, but it would be nice if we could electronically track online for peace of mind.
Oh well, just a small amount of work for those multipliers.
levilevi likes this.

Search this Thread