Old Sep 12, 2022, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Make sure you have an account set up with the provider (car rental/hotel/airline) that you are booking travel with before you book with CapOne.
Print Wikipost

Booking travel through C1 portal by Hopper

Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:36 am
Original Poster

It's really annoying how all these banks starting to have their own Travel portals. They bribe is with extra points to use their portals but unfortunately they do have inflated prices to make up for the extra earnings they give. For example USAR card gives 5x to use their portal but their prices are inflated. I had first hand experience with this. That's why I decided I either stick with cash back cards or just use USAR real time redemption.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Arrow Booking travel through C1 portal by Hopper

Now that people are all getting their cards, how is the C1 travel portal? The bloggers all rave about Hopper to push cards, but it looks like a regular portal and essentially no different than Chase Portal/Amex Travel. Since you can't browse their portal without the card, any first impressions? Any obvious price discrepancy vs. book direct? I'm interested in the card solely based on the potential of the upcoming IAD lounge. I think the crowds/quality/convenience of the lounge (prior to shuttle train vs nearly at the gate with United Club) will ultimately determine if I pull the trigger. But interested to see if there is anything magical I'm missing about their portal
Old Nov 12, 2021, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by darkrider
Now that people are all getting their cards, how is the C1 travel portal? The bloggers all rave about Hopper to push cards, but it looks like a regular portal and essentially no different than Chase Portal/Amex Travel. Since you can't browse their portal without the card, any first impressions? Any obvious price discrepancy vs. book direct? I'm interested in the card solely based on the potential of the upcoming IAD lounge. I think the crowds/quality/convenience of the lounge (prior to shuttle train vs nearly at the gate with United Club) will ultimately determine if I pull the trigger. But interested to see if there is anything magical I'm missing about their portal
When I've been browsing, it seems as though it's usually on par with booking direct. There are a few times where they've shown cheaper prices than booking direct or through other third parties, though I did see one instance where the non-refundable rate was cheaper through the Capital One portal than the non-refundable rate direct, but the refundable rate was more expensive with Capital One. I'll also note that it appears as though some ULCCs (F9/SY for sure) are $5 more on the Capital One engine versus booking direct, though that's consistent with other OTAs for those airlines.

Overall, though, it's good enough that I'm willing to value the $300 travel credit at $300, particularly since I've read that you'll still earn the higher earning rates even when using the $300 credit.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 12:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold

Originally Posted by darkrider
I don't seem to have the ability to book a multi-city itinerary? I am trying to piece together a really convoluted trip to requalify for status and I only have the option for one way or round trip. Does anyone else know if you can book multi-city trips (really flights)?

I also don't like not being able to see the fare code before checkout. Prices are good though

Oh, and I hertz doesn't seem to come back in the results of rental car choices available for a simple 1 day rental (there's plenty of available on OTAs and actually Hertz). I've tried several airport rentals for one day - major airports - and cannot get one Hertz result. Which is funny, because you get Hertz status with this card.

Last edited by BThumme; Nov 13, 2021 at 12:49 am
Old Nov 13, 2021, 3:19 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Star Alliance Gold

Applied and got approved for 30k immediately, which is nice.

Have immediately signed up for Hertz President's Circle without a problem, but am having problems getting into the Capital One travel portal.

Every time I attempt to sign in, I get this:

Do I need to wait for the physical card before I can access this?

Thanks

CJ
Old Nov 13, 2021, 6:54 pm

Booked a trip in FIrst Class, Capital one booked me in a mixed itinerary:

Flights both clearly show first

Yet united shows me a mixed itinerary:

What the heck is this? Not having a good experience with the portal...

EDIT: Called the C1 travel team. They see what I see - should be in first, and they are also (thankfully?) able to see my second leg is in economy, so I'm not crazy. They are going to leave my ticket as is, and try to escalate it internally and they will call me by midnight monday with their solution.

EDIT2: They called me back and fixed it. So word of warning, double check any itineraries you book. Shoutout to Arthur from the C1 travel team.

Last edited by BThumme; Nov 13, 2021 at 8:26 pm
Old Nov 14, 2021, 10:18 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BThumme
Booked a trip in FIrst Class, Capital one booked me in a mixed itinerary:

EDIT: Called the C1 travel team. They see what I see - should be in first, and they are also (thankfully?) able to see my second leg is in economy, so I'm not crazy. They are going to leave my ticket as is, and try to escalate it internally and they will call me by midnight monday with their solution.

EDIT2: They called me back and fixed it. So word of warning, double check any itineraries you book. Shoutout to Arthur from the C1 travel team.
This is scary, and an important reason they need to show the fare codes in the portal.
us FTers are savvy enough, but an ordinary traveler would have a bit of a surprise day-of and, very rightfully, not be happy.

Good to hear about a positive CS experience though.

Also, i read the terms for the travel credit and it is not clear enough to me if it is on a cardmember anniversary basis or calendar basis.
In other words, do i need to use it by 12/31 this year?
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:34 pm

Does C1 travel portal allow users to choose between different economy ticket types (basic economy/economy/refundable economy)? Thanks.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Does C1 travel portal allow users to choose between different economy ticket types (basic economy/economy/refundable economy)? Thanks.
Can someone with access to the portal please check this? Thanks.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 8:31 am

Can someone with access to the portal please check this? Thanks.
It does for basic economy, but I don't see anything (even clicking through) about regular vs refundable. It's not even really clear what you get as the headers above (you can get a description but it just says that luxury seats are a seat that cradles you, for example).

Old Nov 17, 2021, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by BThumme
It does for basic economy, but I don't see anything (even clicking through) about regular vs refundable. It's not even really clear what you get as the headers above (you can get a description but it just says that luxury seats are a seat that cradles you, for example).

Thank you.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 6:39 am

Programs: HH Silver

So far I am liking their travel portal. Have found quite a few "mistake rates". One hotel (Mexico AI) that I booked is shown sold out on all other websites, including their own, but was able to book it on C1 site for $647 total for 7 nights. When it is available on other websites, it is running over 3k for 7 nights. Worrisome thing is that it is my back up booking for another hotel that is not nearly as nice, and costs more, but I enjoy the location. The booking for it was kind of hinky, so I was searching for a back up and found the deal on C1. Now I have to get a back up for my back up.

Last edited by tatterdema; Nov 21, 2021 at 6:48 am
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M

I just checked for car rentals in DFW, SFO and JFK with different dates and none of the options included Hertz. Odd, considering the special agreement with them.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 5:45 pm

this would be my question before applying. can I book flight or hotel at C1 travel portal, with points and cash combined? thank you in sdvance.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:23 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by IAD-SFO-TPE
this would be my question before applying. can I book flight or hotel at C1 travel portal, with points and cash combined? thank you in sdvance.
Yes. You can combine points with CC spend.

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Another data point: I received the $200 vacation rental after a stay at the Monteleone in New Orleans. Works great for me, since I always prefer to stay at hotels rather than Airbnb but wouldve sucked it up for the credit. Now theres no need!
Same with me, except I have not stayed yet, just booked a prepaid hotel. I booked several, but they all were regular hotels, definitely not Airbnb's.

Last edited by EmailKid; Dec 6, 2021 at 12:28 am Reason: Back to back posts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.