Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

2 Capital One cashback cards: Business 2%, Personal 1.5% [Card names change]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 Capital One cashback cards: Business 2%, Personal 1.5% [Card names change]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 2:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
Good luck. Without EMV chip there are like 10 countries out of the ~183 existing countries in the world that will take it. Hope you're going to those.

I loved the card, then I moved overseas and nobody would take it so I cancelled. Getting a CSP EMV soon.
While an EMV chip would be quite helpful when traveling, almost all the countries still accept swipe and sign. I travel all over the world and only at automated train stations, gas stations and a few other places do I have difficulty with swipe & sign.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:05 am

Should I get the CapitalOne Spark Cash?

I have a small business, and I've had the Southwest Rapid Rewards card for years and have accumulated a ton of points on it. However, I don't travel very much so I'm looking for a card that will be more immediately useful to me. (I have the Penfed Platinum Cash for 5% off gas and the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred for 6% off groceries.)

The Spark Cash gives 2% cash back on everything with no limits. It has an annual fee but I will easily make that much back with the cash back.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more people mentioning this card so I'm wondering if I'm missing something?

Thanks.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by dslee
I have a small business, and I've had the Southwest Rapid Rewards card for years and have accumulated a ton of points on it. However, I don't travel very much so I'm looking for a card that will be more immediately useful to me. (I have the Penfed Platinum Cash for 5% off gas and the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred for 6% off groceries.)

The Spark Cash gives 2% cash back on everything with no limits. It has an annual fee but I will easily make that much back with the cash back.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more people mentioning this card so I'm wondering if I'm missing something?

Thanks.
I thought about doing ths but here is what I ended up doing and why I did NOT apply for one.

The only reason I would apply for this card is if I was no longer interested in applying for other cards with sign-up bonuses. Since I am still able to sign up for cards and get sign up bonuses, it outweighs the 2% benefit of Spark.

Once I am doine in applying for other cards, I will consider the Spark...especially if I no longet need the travel cost offset. If I am still traveling, I would probably want the 2.2% Barclays Arrival instead.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I have this card. 2% without mucking about with redeeming points is good enough for me.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: NWA, United
FIA Fidelity gives 2% back without an annual fee. Only downside is it is AMEX affiliated, which as we know isn't accepted everywhere.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:15 am

However, I don't travel very much so I'm looking for a card that will be more immediately useful to me. (I have the Penfed Platinum Cash for 5% off gas and the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred for 6% off groceries.)

It's a great card. It makes perfect sense to have that be your default "go to" card if you're not interested in travel rewards (or have already accumulated enough travel rewards for your needs) and you're not interested in continually signing up for new cards to get the bonuses.

As you noted, you can pretty easily make up the $59 annual fee (relative to a no-annual-fee 1.5% card). Once you spend $11,800 in a year, you've broken even on the annual fee relative to a no-annual-fee 1.5% card; for $11,801+ in spending it's all a net win.

I think you don't hear about it much here because FT is travel oriented.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold
This card is amazing, especially if you have a small business. You may have to pay it down a few times per month, as the opening credit limit is usually tight, but you'll find that it's totally worth the trouble. Points are great, but 2% cash back (to your name, btw, as opposed to an account credit) is really incredible.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I have it for my business and it works well. I use the no annual fee 1.5% one. Getting the cash back is simple (you just apply it to your card as a credit whenever you want).

Also, it builds your business credit rating. This is a huge benefit not offered on all business cards (e.g., Amex does not report). Just supply your company’s tax ID number on the application and they'll start reporting to D&B. Will help as your business grows and you potentially need to access more credit or take out a loan.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: Traveling Around from Country to country
I have this card, and love it.

I sell most of my miles to a broker, and found that this card gives me the best return on my money without the hassle of needing to sell your miles.

All 5X categories go to Chase. The rest is charged here.

The only problem I have, they gave me 5K credit and don't want to increase it before 6 months. I spoke to numerous people, and they are all stubborn to death. With Chase I have 100K credit, and with them 5K, but I pay off daily, and spend again.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...I don't travel very much ...

Welcome to FlyerTalk. There isn't much discussion of cashback rewards here because this is a travel site, and most of us do travel enough to redeem miles and points for more than a 2% return.

Cashback offers mediocre value compared to the best miles or points cards because there is no arbitrage. It costs the issuers $0.02 to give you $0.02 in cash, but it costs them less to give you $0.02 in travel value. When you look at the full lifecycle of the card: application bonus, basic spending, category bonuses, threshold bonuses, and retention offers cashback is seldom competitive except for basic spending.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I don't know, the old Schwab 2% cash back card was awesome.

Obviously wasn't sustainable because it didn't last too long.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Accor Platinum
Question Capital One Spark 2% cb

I've searched around but haven't seen much about this card.

I'm looking to transition from points to cash at the moment, and am trying to decide which card to use for my everyday (unbonused) spend.

I already have the 2% Fidelity Amex, but I hate their website/app interface and have heard bad things about FIA/BofA's customer service -- not sure I want to use them in case I might need purchase/return protection, etc. on an item. I usually don't, but you never know.

The CapOne Spark is a business card with:
  • unlimited 2% cb (pro)
  • no FTF (pro)
  • $59/year AF (con)
  • no chip (con)

It's also a Visa, which I see as a big plus for times when I can't use an Amex.

Does anyone have experience with this card, or a better 2% cb card?

(not interested in the JCB/Marukai card, I can't be bothered to mail in an application or payments in 2014! )
Old May 28, 2014, 12:29 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
why bother with 2% when there are 5% (or more) cards out there?
Old May 28, 2014, 12:40 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by FTRox87
why bother with 2% when there are 5% (or more) cards out there?
I have several 5% cb cards, but they don't always apply to the category I need. For example, if I'm shopping at a clothing store that isn't a department store, there isn't a card I'm aware of with a higher than 1% rate.

That's why I want a 2% cb card -- for everyday, unbonused spend.
Old May 28, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: US/AA, UA, AS, BA, IHG, HGP
Barclay arrival is another option. Preferable if you actually travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.