Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you're going to Canada, consider driving back to the US

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:20 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Avoid dealing with Canadian requirements because you might get a false positive? That seems excessive.
And, considering some of your other comments, should be the least of your covid worries.
Larrude, mlbcard, iluvcf and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:23 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by SFO777
I was not willing to risk that and the potential for 14 days in jail quarantine.
There is no such thing as a forced Quarantine in Canada after an Antigen test. If you felt your Antigen test was a false positive, just take another!
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:41 am

Thanks for all the witty replies. Apparently reading comprehension is lacking here this morning.

Reading comprehension is not an issue, your inability to accept the laws of another country is the issue.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:00 am

Thanks for all the witty replies. Apparently reading comprehension is lacking here this morning.

At first only reading your title, I was actually a bit concerned on my upcoming Canada trip. After reading your post, not so much... These are the rules in place that keep the country safe, if you think these are strict. You haven't seen what my friend gone through for going back to China to visit his family.

Also, I am pretty sure if you are really uncomfortable traveling for work due to COVID concerns, I doubt they will force you to go.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 10, 2021 at 10:50 pm Reason: Off topic quote and reply removed
Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Thanks SFO777 for the personal experience details. Didn't want to go to Canada before reading and I certainly do not now. Unfortunate that company meetings left you no choice in your travel plans.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Thanks SFO777 for the personal experience details. Didn't want to go to Canada before reading and I certainly do not now.
Ah, while I do understand and appreciate SFO's frustrations (I share them), we find the world we are in and not one that we wish were. Towards that end, I have no qualms with any sovereign nations rules for visitors, and will gladly abide by them to be spared that quarantine thing.

Far as I'm concerned, let's just nix the quarantine; everything else, I have an open mind, testing, vaccination proof and even eating a bowl of broccoli.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:56 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
It’s not actually a great thing having no vaccine or mask mandates in Colorado given there are ~2,000 new daily cases here and I really wanted to go to an Avs game but I don’t feel secure despite masks being mandated at Ball Arena. Watching audiences there on TV implies masks aren’t being enforced well with no proof of vaccination mandate.

I saw the thread title and I myself am flying DEN-BTV driving into QC for a few days then back to DEN from BTV, so I thought it might be something relevant to my journey. Turns out it was an unhinged rant about Canadian covid safeguards.

We should be so lucky to have those rules. I myself have my CDC card ready in addition to a couple of apps with QR codes (a Colorado one and a Saudi one) that will both allow me easily into places that require with them in Quebec. As the consensus was in this thread, no one is making you travel and it’s amazing how you lack the self-awareness necessary to realize that it’s messed up that you’re comfortable going to places without vax-proof mandates and being around many unvaccinated people in close proximity. And no, being vaccinated yourself doesn’t mean you’re out of the woods and you could still infect others and yourself. This is incredibly irresponsible.

Last edited by Nayef; Oct 10, 2021 at 11:50 am
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:25 am

Masks everywhere and masks required to enter any office building. We had a company dinner Wednesday evening where we were required every attendee to show proof of vaccine to enter,
The irony is that you would be subject to the exact same rules if you visited the city that your username refers to, San Francisco.

OP did not do their homework before traveling - I'd recommend that anyone who is unsure about COVID regulations are in a place they are going to talk to a colleague or friend. Less surprises the better, and assuming things will be just the same as at home is a bit silly.

As a British-Canadian living in the US, I would advise the OP that they will find more like-minded people in the UK than in Canada, and far fewer restrictions. If they absolutely need to leave the US and not be surprised by things.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cpdc1030
OP did not do their homework before traveling - I'd recommend that anyone who is unsure about COVID regulations are in a place they are going to talk to a colleague or friend. Less surprises the better, and assuming things will be just the same as at home is a bit silly.
Not sure what your point is. I knew Canadian and Quebec regulations precisely before arriving. The need for a Covid test before flying back to the US is a US regulation not Canadian. Hence my decision to forgo the test and drive across the border where no test is required.

The irony is that you would be subject to the exact same rules if you visited the city that your username refers to, San Francisco.
Not really. There is currently no requirement to get a Covid test before flying from SFO-DEN.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:49 am

Not sure what your point is. I knew Canadian and Quebec regulations precisely before arriving.

Not really. There is currently no requirement to get a Covid test before flying from SFO-DEN.
You may have known technically what the rules were, but you were still surprised that things were handled differently than in your home state, and complained about it. International travel in COVID times is a privilege and having a bit of respect and understanding goes a long way. The pandemic has been handled thousands of different ways in different parts of the world, each with their own justification. There is no universal right or wrong way.

Try getting into a restaurant in San Francisco without proof of vaccination, or an office without a mask right now. You are considerably less informed than you think you are.
iluvcf and SJOGuy like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As a British-Canadian living in the US, I would advise the OP that they will find more like-minded people in the UK than in Canada, and far fewer restrictions. If they absolutely need to leave the US and not be surprised by things.
Not sure what point you are attempting to make here either. I am a Canadian and an American. My business has two offices in Canada, not the UK. As for finding a place with far fewer restrictions, we did that when that moved first from Canada to the US, and then from the PRC to Colorado.

Last edited by SFO777; Oct 10, 2021 at 12:23 pm
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You may have known technically what the rules were, but you were still surprised that things were handled differently than in your home state, and complained about it.
I can do this all day if you'd like. I wasn't surprised in the least... especially since my staff told me of the rules prior to arrival. Did I complain about the rules after the fact? Guilty as charged.

Try getting into a restaurant in San Francisco without proof of vaccination, or an office without a mask right now. Be my guest. You are considerably less informed than you think you are.
While we may have lived in San Francisco for 12 years, your challenge is irrelevant as I have no desire to step foot in a city that has become a cesspool.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:03 pm

Not sure what point you are attempting to make here either. I am a Canadian and an American. My business has two offices in Canada, not the UK. As for finding a place with far fewer restrictions, we did that when that moved first from Canada to the US, and then from the PRC to Colorado.
My point is that every country is handling things differently. Canada is more restrictive and the UK much less so. Not everywhere is going to align with your expectations, I was merely offering a travel opportunity you might be more comfortable with.

BTW I will never live in San Francisco anytime soon either, we have that in common
Old Oct 10, 2021, 2:08 pm

My point is that every country is handling things differently. Canada is more restrictive and the UK much less so. Not everywhere is going to align with your expectations, I was merely offering a travel opportunity you might be more comfortable with.

BTW I will never live in San Francisco anytime soon either, we have that in common
Scandinavian countries for the win. Polar opposite treatment of citizens and visitors versus Canada. For those on business however, may be no choice.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
With 81% of its citizens fully vaccinated?
The most immaterial factor in deciding where to spend my traveling money. Literally zero on my list of what I care about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.